Salah ad-Din.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yussuf ibn Ayyub, better known by his Honorific, Salah ad-Din (Righteousness of the Faith). I have portrayed him after he rejected the rich clothing of Sultan of Egypt and started wearing the simpler clothing of a Moslem Cleric. The Rider has turned out okay ,but the horse is another matter. I just could not get it right. The poor animal has been stripped more times than Gypsy Rose Lee. I am still not 100% so think another attempt is needed. The sword has defied all attempts to straighten it ( boiling water, weights, clamps. ) so another one will have to be procured.
A usual all C&Cs welcome. John.

IMG_0413.JPG IMG_04182.jpg IMG_04162.jpg IMG_0415.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John well for the life of me i cant see nothing wrong with the horse as to me it looks ok as some one once said sometime we can be our own worst critic so in my opinion leave the horse be as i think the whole figure looks a great action figure
chris

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I thought I would give some more information on the above figure. this is in my usual 75mm scale and is a full resin kit. It is produced by Medieval Forge Miniatures from Russia. The rider is a solid resin torso with separate arms and head. Being a trifle naive I expected the horse to be the same. However it is a hollow casting in two halves with a separate head and neck. Unfortunately my particular horse was badly warped. This meant plenty of superglue and clamps followed by copious amounts of filler. I was not enamoured of this manufacturers quality control so thought I would pass my experience on to any members who may think of purchasing it. Good Modelling All.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

John, that looks great. For what it's worth, I've never managed to paint a white horse, so well done on a convincing job. I really like the decorative details on the saddle blanket as well - again, patterns are something I try and avoid.

I read John Man's book on Salah ad-Din a year or so ago - what a contrast to the crusader leaders! For some reason I've always been drawn to Reynald de Chatillon for his sheer nastiness - he just didn't give a damn and caused more friction between the two sides than he was worth. I painted a Life Miniatures bust as Balian a while ago, and I'd love to do poor old Baldwin, Sibylla et al.

Keep up the great work.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Many thanks for your kind words Peter. Nice to know I haven't made a complete A*** of the horse. I agree with you on de Chatillon, seems he was a complete Psycho !!
Never a Templar though, unlike his portrayal in " Kingdom of Heaven ".
John.