Sanding tiny bumps on Tamiya acrylic cockpit paint question

First Name
Andrzej
Hello,
Here is my first newbie question.
I had a little tiny cockpit part that I brush painted with Tamiya Acrylic paint.
I can see couple very tiny bumps (no idea how to properly mix paint before using it and why the bumps).
Can I sand them off?
If yes, what sandpaper grid?
Thank you!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrzej
The short answer is yes. You must allow the paint to totally dry/cure. This may take a day or so. You then need a very fine sanding stick. I don't know if you used primer or just painted the paint directly onto the plastic. If you didn't use a primer there is more danger of the paint peeling off when sanding. You will need to repaint after smoothing out the surface.
Tamiya acrylic is not a true water based acrylic. It sprays very nicely but most people find it hard to brush paint successfully. I find one of the best paints for brush painting is Vallejo Model Color. A true acrylic. Best results with a few thinned coats.
Jim

THIS is a very helpful thread on successful brush painting. Ron gets amazing results.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent advice from Jim. Only thing I’d add is to use something like 400 to 800 grit wet and dry, depending on how bad the lumps are, support it on a small block of wood or plastic if possible (stops you rubbing hollows in the surface), and use it wet…..oh, and rub gently ;)

First Name
Andrzej
Hello.

I have to admit that it was such a great nice surprise to hear from Jim and Tim.
I do believe that in any hobby, the big part of it is to interact with others. :smiling:

I just wish I asked here before I started working ..... already made mistakes but better late than never. ;)

@Jim R I will follow the advise.
Very fine sanding stick, I get it.
I painted directly on plastic and did not wash the part. It is a tiny part of canopy, I will later take a picture and post.
Since that part is very small, I did not attempt to spray it (My compressor and airbrush is coming tomorrow, boy, it will be something new, never tried it)
I will try Vallejo for small brush painting, and I am sure I will ask again.

@Tim Marlow I will try that for sure and I will let you know.
I see what you mean about supporting paper with block of wood.
I have these little like a nail file set and another very fine sticks as well.
I was thinking that 800 would be rough but since I need to get rid of the bumps, I go for it of course.

Thank you again for a super quick response and I will have to keep asking some very simple things... do not get mad at me.