Sarnia Miniatures C6th Germanic Warrior Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

A chance for a welcome break from 1/35 modelling and here is Peter Gillson's new bust for Sarnia Miniatures. It represents a Germanic warrior of the C6th, a period when peoples like the Franks and Merovingians were jostling for power at the edges of the late Roman empire. I think this is Peter's best yet, and as a subject is right up my street.

The piece comes in four parts, including the plinth.

The paint scheme will be something like this:

(For discussion purposes only).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
A perfect bust for your skills. Metallics and colourful detail. Also no construction to do?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - There was a bit of construction and filling, but easily dealt with.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
I will pull up a pew with the assembled ensemble.Now this is a nice one!!.Really great bust which im sure will be popular.Peter has done himself proud and the head looks sublime.
Great stuff chaps.

Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

You are doing a great job - he looks better than I hoped. It will be interesting to see howthe mail looks when you get around to it.

Richard - thank you for the compliment, this one just seemed to 'work',each step of the sculpting just went nicely - a joy to sculpt.

Peter

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great so far...bring on the rest.....

D

Deleted member 6559

I must say I was pretty excited when this came out of the box. Peter has made a great sculpt - I'd love to know how he did the helmet and especially the mail, but I expect that's a trade secret! The cloak will be blue, the leather work reddish brown, and there's a small decorative piece of tunic showing to add some detail.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another terrific bust from Peter to work on. It must be nice to get away from the small stuff for a while. All looking top notch so far. Keep up the good work

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

So glad you are back doing busts, it takes the pressure off all 1:35 armour builders!

Lovely sculpt, must be one of Peter G's best?

Great work on the head, a really pale strawberry blonde Celtic/Germanic palette,

Looks great Peter..

Metal work next, another one of your many bust painting strengths, should be a cracking update this afternoon.

Hope Storm Eric isn't being too inconsiderate?

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Cpl Jones - Yes, good to get back to something I can see. I really did do my eyes in with the 1/35 figures and am now reminded why I gave up that scale. I will need to take it very easy if I'm going to carry on with it in the future - certainly less figures.

Steve - I do think it's Peter's best so far and is lovely to paint. Nice detaily bits to do today. Stormy and wet, but quite warm here.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Ralph.

He's done:

This was thoroughly enjoyable to paint, especially after working on 1/35 figures. I painted the cloak blue initially, but it looked terrible after a coat of varnish, so I went over it again in green.

A terrific bust Peter G. Well done.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter has done another cracking job - he has really brought it to life, it look great.

I will be releasing it in the next few days when I have put togather the box artwork.

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Excellent painting. Metallic parts are always nice and you handle them very well.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter and Peter

By a long way the best one so far. Good luck with it.

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers people. Always a pleasure to paint a quality piece of work.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

This has to be both a top sculpt from Peter G and must be in your top 5 painted busts.

The metalwork is so realistic, definitely a front of cabinet finish for this one.

Very well done Peter's

Regards

Steve H