Sarnia Miniatures T E Lawrence Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

726960.jpg
(Source: IWM).

You will have seen Peter Gillson's thread on the sculpting of his new 1/10 bust of T E Lawrence, and I now have the honour of painting a version for the box art.

The piece comes in two parts, bust and pedestal:

100_3606.JPG

A nice piece of casting by Peter, with very minimal clean-up required. This is where he is after the first session:

100_3608.JPG

I've based the colouring of the headgear on the James McBey painting above. As you can see, this meant painting lots of lovely white, and I found it took a lot of effort to smooth out the tonal transitions on this larger scale.

Some of you in the UK may have seen the 'Icons' programme on BBC2 recently covering the great explorers. The section on Gertrude Bell included numerous photos and film extracts where she was accompanied by Lawrence. What was striking was how small and insignificant he looked amongst a group of people - nothing like Peter O'Toole in the film.

D

Durk

Great start Peter:thumb2:, should be finished soon? And a great sculpt by the other Peter:thumb2:!

DIRK

D

Deleted member 6559

Dirk - Thanks. One more session should finish it. At least most of the white is done.

Jim - Thanks. Peter G has given us a good one.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - Great work so far, I must finish my version!

Peter

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I say well done to both of you , looks really good Peter G and Peter D I'm sure you will bring him to life .
John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice indeed gentlemen. You’ve done a great job on the whites PD... I love how the red stands out against it:thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A good days painting and the white mostly completed.

A very iconic image of Lawrence, well sculpted Peter G.

Even Anna said , "Is that Lawrence of Arabia?"

when I was looking at the update.

Should be a another good day even with the awful weather.

Enjoy the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks people.

Peter G has given us a better likeness than James McBey's portrait above.

lawrence_of_arabia-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I think the white must have been just as hard!!:smiling2:

Very nicely done Peter. The gold braiding has come out particularly well.:thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
i think Peter has done a great job, white is not an easy colour and there is a lot of it!

A lot of the photos of Lawrence show him on full arab attire, the reason why i opted for the arab headress and British uniform was to emphasise the fact that he was an army officer. There are some photos of him like this, mainly from after the War, when he attended the Paris Peace conference which lead to the signing of the Treaty of Sevres and the carving up of the Ottoman Empire into the Middle East in its current form.

I'm off to finish painting my version, Peter is quite an act to follow.

Peter