SAS Jeep vignette

First Name
Andy
Hi all.

I promised I would show you what I'm currently up to and hopefully continue with the progress here.

Inspired by the commando comics of my youth I wanted to do something that tries to portray the action and dynamism of the images with a modelling twist. These are the Dragon SAS jeeps with a mixture of Legends, Mantis and homemade equipment, figures are from Soga Miniatures with a few modifications.

Apologies to my facebook friends who may have already seen this but this is where I'm at so far;

Hope you like it so far !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking pretty cool......really nice builds. Brings back lots of memories...I had loads of commando mags when I was a kid.
Went to a fascinating talk at the Chalke valley history festival a couple of years ago about them as well, surprising what I found out.....the illustrations were mostly done by Italians, and speech bubbles are sometimes used to cover up errors in the illustrations, for example....Oh, and each nationality had its own sound when shot, ach, aiee , ugh, etc...fantastic.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Really good to see your work again. Great idea to use the comic picture for inspiration. Looks excellent so far. Are those Soga figures resin or plastic? Hornet heads? Probably a daft question but what is the cling-film for in the 3rd photo?
Jim

First Name
Andy
Cheers fellas, early days yet but it seems to be coming together.

Jim - The Soga figures are resin and I've swapped one head for a Hornet one, the other head is Mantis.

I use cling film to cover the piece (in this case the jerry cans) whilst I sculpted the rucksacks in-situ, the cling film it stops it sticking so when dry you can remove them for painting separately. This project needs some careful planning on how to paint it and I wanted as much separate as possible.

This is the finished baggage in place, it fits perfectly with the jeep and jerry cans but I can take it all off to paint it.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Thanks. I knew there would be a simple reason for cling-film. A good tip to enable the "fit" to look right. We do sometimes see stowage which kinda perches on the vehicle.
Jim

First Name
Andy
That is the problem when we use generic bags, they always look a little stiff. The other thing is that both of these jeeps will be slightly inclined on the base so to make the bags hang vertically they would have to be at a slight angle to the vehicle (if that makes sense).

C

crab

in America we had a show called Rat Patrol, but I'm sure you all know that.

R

Ranwulf

1553883719734.png

IT WAS PULLED FROM BRITISH TELEVISION DUE TO HISTORICAL INACCURACIES.
The heroic foursome on the show consists of three Americans and a Brit. Of course, anyone who knows their WWII history realizes this is not exactly how things went in North Africa. These units were British in the war, and those in the United Kingdom took offense to the Yanks taking credit for such actions on TV. Thus, the show was, er, yanked off the air in Britain. Adult Aussies who knew better were no fans, either. George's character sported a hat similar to those worn by Australian soldiers, with a Rising Sun Badge. Many took offense. Thus, The Rat Patrol was moved to Saturday afternoon on the telly down under, where it was mostly seen by less-historically informed kids.

TV Guide
https://www.handitv.com/lists/7-fascinating-facts-about-the-rat-patrol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Seriously? you missed out.
I would need to have been born 15 years earlier than I was to have been able to watch it at all, and that’s assuming it was even broadcast in this country :smiling3:

But if we’re going to recommend bad war shows, here’s mine:

:smiling3:

C

crab

We had Hogan's Heroes fer chrissakes. ;) Those hilarious Nazis!!!!!
I was 10 - 12 maybe when Rat Patrol was on. No one thought it was realistic. 4 guys with 2 jeeps and 50cal Machine guns out witted and defeated battalions of Nazi tanks every week? And the coolest guy was a Brit? SUUUURE. But it was cool as hell.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Aren't we all glad there weren't any rivet counters in Hollywood back then?. Hell, nothing would have been produced! LOL:tongue-out3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I once built a Tiger tank as it appeared in Battle of the Bulge. Best part was when I took it to a model show, with a card next to it reading “Tiger, Battle of the Bulge, 1965” and at least one person commented that surely that was wrong because it wasn’t a Tiger … I replied that no, the card was indeed correct :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Combat! was my fave growing up. Ran from 62-67 with great guest stars, guest directors & realistic, for the period, story lines. Never did figure out the French Canadian scout though. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So right Paul, got the whole series on DVD years ago. Twelve 'o Clock High was another
favorite I couldn't get enough of. Rick H.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
To get back to the model- Andy I LOVE that first model pic!
This promises to be a brilliant piece, right up my alley- loads of movement!
I must check out some of of those war comics for dynamic diorama ideas-good call :cool:

C

crab

Combat! was my fave growing up. Ran from 62-67 with great guest stars, guest directors & realistic, for the period, story lines. Never did figure out the French Canadian scout though. PaulE

Yes! Combat was great, and 12 O'clock High.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your onto a real winner with this build Andy. Very impressed with your sculpting work. Are they finished or are you still adding detail?? Look forward to seeing the wet stuff on them