Saw this on U tub, using laser cut ply.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I must admit I skipped through some of it but what a great diorama build. Nice music as well.
Thanks for the heads up John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Very, very effective. The laser cut ply is a bit beyond what we can do but his painting, detailng etc is all simple stuff really.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I must admit I skipped through some of it but what a great diorama build. Nice music as well.
Thanks for the heads up John.
Yes Ian it did go on a bit, apart from the laser cut ply which is a commercial business and beyond most of us price wise for the machinery I thought the painting was good and well worth a look.

Hi John
Very, very effective. The laser cut ply is a bit beyond what we can do but his painting, detailng etc is all simple stuff really.
Jim
Jim, my thought as well but what a building! In my dreams to have a laser cutter.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Yes Ian it did go on a bit, apart from the laser cut ply which is a commercial business and beyond most of us price wise for the machinery I thought the painting was good and well worth a look.

Jim, my thought as well but what a building! In my dreams to have a laser cutter.
Dear Mr Race....Aka Scorcher,
I think if you got your hands on a laser for cutting wood, it may not be in the best interest of health and safety, especially with your track record for setting stuff alight:flushed::thinking:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dear Mr Race....Aka Scorcher,
I think if you got your hands on a laser for cutting wood, it may not be in the best interest of health and safety, especially with your track record for setting stuff alight:flushed::thinking:
Grossly unfair Mr Benson, at the last count I've finished only 4 out of 19 have been or had any fire damage. Avery low % really, only approx 20% of my builds result in spontaneous combustion.:smiling::smiling::nerd::nerd:

Prices were £2300 upwards, think if I was still in business I would invest in one and produce windows and doors, crates, etc.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A very striking diorama JR. Thanks for sharing...Really brought out the "dichotomy" of war and peace. Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A friend of mine is a volunteer with Men in Sheds - they have a CNC laser cutter in his 'shed'. Must find out what CAD software it uses.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A friend of mine is a volunteer with Men in Sheds - they have a CNC laser cutter in his 'shed'. Must find out what CAD software it uses.
Pete
Read on one page Coral Draw was one Pete, have no idea what that is apart from a drawing programme.
But it would be great for diorama bits .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've used Corel Draw in the past John. It's a fairly easy CAD package. Free download at https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/free-download/
I've emailed my friend to ask him, but he's not very responsive, and he's in Shropshire, while I'm in Warwickshire. My local Shed has only hand tools, I'm not sure if any others have a laser cutter.

Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm still battling with my new W10 PC, Pete, had my photos transfered but they are not in the W10 photo part, just show as a written list of photos, no picture, ie.
T34 Build and a date, or Garden 2015.
Driving me mad as I want to have them like the Cannon browser catalogue them.
Going back to those lasers I think they are fantastic, def would go that way if I was still at work .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
What's the file extension John - .jpg, or something else? I've always avoided the camera manufacturers' software and just copied photos from the camera's memory to a folder on the PC.
I've been reading a bit about laser cutters - apparently you can't cut mdf or normal plywood, you need a special grade. However my local library has a "Maker Space" that has a 3D printer. That might be fun!

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
When you are in the list of photos, click on the view tab, and you should get a list of options....go for large icons and you will see the thumbnail pictures again....

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What's the file extension John - .jpg, or something else? I've always avoided the camera manufacturers' software and just copied photos from the camera's memory to a folder on the PC.
I've been reading a bit about laser cutters - apparently you can't cut mdf or normal plywood, you need a special grade. However my local library has a "Maker Space" that has a 3D printer. That might be fun!

Pete
Jpg, I think with out looking.Pete.
The ones I looked at on Amazon and the one used by that guy who made the video were able to cut 3 mm ply.
Hi John
When you are in the list of photos, click on the view tab, and you should get a list of options....go for large icons and you will see the thumbnail pictures again....

Thanks Tim,
Perfect, just gone and done that, :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: have to say not as user friendly the old Cannon Zoom Browser, but I will have to go through all of them and regroup.Was thinking of getting a new photo program , but don't want it on the cloud have tried one and got rid of it with in 5 mins., that was Fast Stone, couldn't see even how to move photos into it !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've used Corel Draw in the past John. It's a fairly easy CAD package.
I feel a need to correct you there :smiling3: CorelDRAW isn’t CAD software, it’s a vector image editor, like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape (free, so I thought I’d link to it). That is to say, it’s chiefly intended for making flat line art that can be infinitely scaled and otherwise manipulated without losing quality. It can probably do a lot more than that, and you can of course use it to make technical drawings, but it’s not CAD software that’s specifically intended to design things for manufacturing.

For laser-cutting, vector image software like this is probably ideal, though: all you need are flat drawings of where the machine is to cut, after all. Same with designing photo-etched parts, which is something I’ve looked into but really need to get done one of these days for a few models I have either on the go or in mind.

Free 15-day trial only though.