Scale Discrepancies

First Name
Gregg
Has any one else had this problem.

I recently bought some 1/35 sale figures by Academy, Italeri & Tamiya.

However when I put them alongside each other, the Academy figures are considerably taller and broader than the others.

I know in the real world we are all different, but the Academy figures are like amazons.

Not a happy puppy!

Gregg

First Name
Aaron
I have come across this with a masterbox figure towering over a tamiya figure. The masterbox chap was way broader as well. I put it down to the Japanese being smaller in size (trying not to sound like a redneck). Sand some of the height off the boots lol

T

TonyBv9

I've got some Revell 1/72 RAF pilots. There is no way they will fit in a 1/72 plane without major surgery.

T

tecdes

Not by any chance mixing 1/32 with 1/35 scale Gregg.

Just that there is then a 10% difference.

Laurie

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Not by any chance mixing 1/32 with 1/35 scale Gregg.Just that there is then a 10% difference.

Laurie
Unfortunately no, packaging (boxes) states 1/35 !

Gregg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Figures produced in the Far East are smaller than those in the West. Well shorter.

If you put a Tamiya 1/48 mossy pilot next to the pilot from the Airfix mossy the Airfix dude looks like a matchstick man!!!

ian M

First Name
Aaron
Hopefully not off topic but i have quite a few 1:32 aircraft kits and was wondering if 1:35 figs could be displayed with the aircraft.

Has anyone tried 1:35 figs next to 1:32 aircraft?

C

CDW

The tamiya churchill i'm building has an extra grey sprue with just figures on it, these have a small scale issue next to the figures that are on the green kit sprues in the fact that the general "bulk" of the kit figures are slightly over the extra jobbies making them look a little "slight" in appearance.

Aaron, at scale sizes there's only 0.2 (ish) of an inch difference so the two "scales" shouldnt look to bad (this is based on a 6ft (72inch) human giving 2.06inch at 1/35 and 2.25inch at 1/32). Though, as Laurie says, the difference is 10% which works out to 7 inches at 1:1 so a 6ft chap could be 6ft7ins or 5ft5ins.

I suppose if you used the larger "amazon" styled figures from Academy and masterbox this would lessen the tolerance :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
Cheers Colin,

I have no problems about using masterbox figs at all. So far the masterbox kits i have come across have been Awesome.

Excecpt trying to fit a masterbox driver into a Tamiya opel blitz.

B

Bunkerbarge

I actually think that using figures from different sources like this can be more realistic as those from a single manufacturer always tend to look far too uniform to me. As long as they are all painted up similarly and the level of detail is comparable they should look far closer to reality than a set of tank crew all of identical heights.

The crew on my Ben Ain steamer consist of some or the original white metal castings, a Tamiya field kitchen cook, a Mini Art Russian tank crew member repairing a rope and two Academy german tank crew gun cleaners, who are now handling ropes on the foc's'le!

C

CDW

I agree with your "mix and match" idea Richard, as you say it can give a certain "reality", i unintentionally used differing manufacturers in my "Coutances" and "korean workshop" dioramas which gave a good effect, and am now doing the same in the "MASH" dio which has more figures than i first planned for.

T

tecdes

Well if you built a full size Spitfire you could use humans. :dog: