Scale sand

F

Fenlander

Thanks for that Paul. I am not familiar with Micro-balloons, I will have to do some research on that. Always good to get ideas that get us thinking outside the (sand)box :smiling:

EDIT: Quick search brought this interesting IPMS Stockholm article

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've just done a quick google and picked one UK based shop. I have no connection with the shop

Deluxe Materials Microballoons filler 250cc Scale: 250cc #BD15 UK

S

Sky Raider

Graham,

I use Microballoons o n the larger scale build, mixed with finishing resin to the thickness you want, this makes a paste. As it starts to set you can calve it with a sharp knife and then sand to the shape you want. Be aware this stuff is as it says it is, very light and float in the air. Its that fine that if you tiped some in your hand and tilted it it would just run off like water. Basically it has no weight, hence the name Microballoons.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Added to this i can also tell you about Silver Sand. Having been a Canary Exhibiter and Breeder in the past i used to have a lot of caged birds. In none breeding seasons i used sand for the bottom of the cages. This was Silver Sand, Brought in measured weights of 1lb to 14lb, be aware that 14lb sounds a lot but remeber sand weighs heavy. You can get this from all pet stores that are basically corn and seed mearchans and it isnt expensive. This stuff a lot finer than sugar probably around the size of salt grains.

Andy