Scania 94d fire appliance

P

PeanuckleJive

My first model that I'll be documenting on here, a 1:48 scale Fire Appliance from fire brigade models.

Not the biggest or most complex of kits, But I have a HUGE love for everything fire service related and jumped as soon as I saw somebody had FINALLY made some UK appliance models.

These first photos are a few weeks old, I'll be getting some more tomorrow once today's paint has dried thoroughly.

This triple extension ladder is 3 seperate pieces, slotting together just like the real thing. Being the geek that I am, I thought that was amazing:

There's more bits than this, but here's a few of the white metal bits:

Photos coming tomorrow of current progress :smiling3:

P

PeanuckleJive

So here's my current progress.

I'm having real trouble getting decent photos though, Trying macro settings and everything.

Anyway, you can make out the bits that are done I guess.

First off I started doing a few of the details inside the cab and the bumper/ wheelarch plastics:

Couple of little bits need touching up where I slipped up with the brush, But overall I'm happy with my brush painting considering it's been years since I did any.

Also got the cab end of the body sprayed up with Humbrol Red spray:

Looks pretty nice when you put the flash on it, Sadly it's pretty rough, as you can see in the next photo. I'm wondering what the best way to flat it back a bit is? I have some micromesh, loads of grades all the way up to 12000

P

PeanuckleJive

Been waiting for a decent bit of weather so I can get out down to the garage and put another coat of red on and see if it's flattened out a bit.

Touched a few more chassis details in with aluminum and flat black.

Going to be doing the lights soon, Sadly there aren't any clear parts for the lights, so if I want a decent effect it has to be painted.

I thought of doing Aluminum, followed by clear orange (for indicators) and regular gloss clearcoat for the headlights, thoughts?

P

PeanuckleJive

A little update, Been busy decorating but I've primed more parts and touched in some more chassis details:

FBM scania 94 :: DSCF5083.jpg picture by Lgeoghegan - Photobucket

Also given the cab a thorough rub down and another coat of red, looks much better now:

FBM scania 94 :: DSCF5088.jpg picture by Lgeoghegan - Photobucket

B

Boldman

This looks interesting, looking forward to seeing it complete

P

PeanuckleJive

And here I was thinking nobody was listening!

Next step is a couple of little lenses over the headlights, what's the best way to glue them without them clouding?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Try canopy glue (formula 560 ) or just plain pva wood glue , watered down a touch , they should stick the lenses fine and dry clear. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Could I ask who it is that makes/sells these?

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Although I have not been posting, and perhaps I should have, I have been watching your progress.

With stuff flying through, sometimes it's difficult, to nigh on impossible to post on every thread, so fear not 'P'!lol We are watching......

Cheers,

Ron

P

pneupack

Looking good I am a retired Firefighter so this looks interesting might look into building a Fire Appliance sometime... How many coats of red did you hit it with? yeah and the ladders look amazing.

Robert

P

PeanuckleJive

\ said:
Looking good I am a retired Firefighter so this looks interesting might look into building a Fire Appliance sometime... How many coats of red did you hit it with? yeah and the ladders look amazing.Robert
There's a lot of fiddly parts, lots of little details! I haven't photographed everything. I probably did 4 or 5 coats of red, then when I realised it wasn't evening out (Can't work out if my primer coat or the resin was uneven) I sanded it back and did one more.

Need to do one more coat because there's some bits that still show signs of being sanded back to the white primer.

\ said:
Could I ask who it is that makes/sells these?Ian M
Paul Slade AKA Fire Brigade Models. He does a huge range of appliances through the years. Also does die cast versions of most that are ready built for those not patient enough to build one.

They're not cheap though, a regular sized appliance like this is pretty much £100 off fleabay, a bigger vehicle like an Aerial Platform is about £150. You can get them direct from Paul though for cheaper, I paid £84 for mine, postage included.

P

PeanuckleJive

Progress!

Although it feels like progress has been slow, having not updated this thread in about a month, I've actually been racing through this with unstoppable force!

Here's the almost finished chassis, the white bumper took longest! (Wouldn't have taken so long if I'd stirred the white paint in the first place mind)

Need to touch in a few areas and try to tidy up that dashboard with it's awful brush stroke marks.

Thanks for the recommendation for formula 560, it worked a treat!

Also, I haven't missed the driver side lower tread plate, there wasn't one moulded on! :sad:

This is my reference for this model:

Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Scania 94D 220 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

P

PeanuckleJive

I really want to carry on with this build but unfortunately there's not a lot else to do until the body has been sprayed, How do you guys get by with spraying in the winter?

P

PeanuckleJive

Made a fair bit of progress the past couple of weeks, will get some photos tonight!