Scared!

H

Hunty22

Got my compressor and airbrush delivered today. I have fired it up, all ok but a bit nervous about running my first lot of paint through it!

I suppose it's just a case of suck it and see. I got the version recommended elsewhere on this forum.

Aibrush Compressor Kit II - Airbrush Compressors | Airbrushes | Compressors

Wish me luck, going to aim to prime a Hanomag tonight and hopefully a top coat or two. Using Tamiya on this one thinned with IPA. Gonna try at around 15 psi first to see what results I get.

Steve

M

munkster

Ahhhh, you sound like me a few weeks ago, I was very nervous about pushing the button in anger but am much happier now. I would (as I think others would too) recommend you trying out the brush on something non-critical first, eg. an old CD (suggest Ocean Colour Scene or Lighthouse Family for maximum satisfaction given they will be unplayable after) to get the hang of it all. There's no rush is there? :smiling:

A

andygh

suggest Ocean Colour Scene or Lighthouse Family for maximum satisfaction given they will be unplayable after
Hmm, this could be a looooooooooooooong list :rockstar:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could also try your new A/B on a plastic food or drink container. They have all sorts of different shapes which would probably give you better practise than a simple flat surface. Also, you're less likely to upset anyone by covering their favourite tune! :lol

Gern

H

Hunty22

Well, what an almighty balls up that was! lol Had a play, felt OK, tried spraying a few "randoms" and thought right, here we go, nowt to it!! I had a couple of spills whilst I was concentrating on the spraying but nothing I didn't expect. First coat went on OK. Let it dry and went on with the field grey! A few patches on the front of the model, but nothing to dramatic for a first go. Not bad I thought...then I took it into the kitchen under a more "normal" light and oh my god....I missed so many bits! lol Already camo'd!!

Enough for tonight, I'll have another go tomorrow! Tell you what, makes me really appreciate how good you lot are! Just one thing, do you guy's strip down the brush completely after every use/paint change or just give it a good clean with spirits and water until it blows clear?

Steve

ps: I wont give up!! :emo12::emo12:

B

Bunkerbarge

I think most of us strip the brush down after each spraying session. You don't want residues left anywhere in the brush to affect it's performance next time out.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I just blast it though with air brush cleaner on a colour change, Unless the next colour is very pale. I tend only to do a strip down when I know I will not be using it for a day or two. Lazy I know but works for me. Lately I have taken to test spraying the desk/mobil phone/ashtray to check mix and air, so any problems get found before I start on the good stuff. (most of the time).

Ian M