Scimitar CVR(T) in the Falklands 1982

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Something I've wanted to do for a long time.
The AFV Club Scimitar is an old model now but still very good.Out of the box it builds a fairly accurate vehicle seen during the first Gulf war or deployed in Bosnia with IFOR or UNPROFOR but needs a fair few mods to depict one of the vehicles during the Falklands war.
3 and 4 troop from B Squadron,the Blues and Royals,each comprising 2 Scorpions and 2 Scimitars,along with a REME Samson were sent south,stopping at Ascension Island on the way where live firing exercises etc. were carried out.These revealed a few problems which were sorted out ie the practice of Scorpion carrying trip flare boxes on the forward track guard.The muzzle blast of it's main armament was found to blow the boxes apart!
Initially the CVR(T)s were used to ferry equipment around the landing sites and provide a degree of air defence.Later some were involved in the advance to Teale Inlet,picking up stray marines and paras on the way. Both troops were blooded when they supported 3Para at Longden and the Scots Guards at Tumbledown.
Back-dating the AFV Club kit mainly involves replacing the forward hinged transmission cover with the older bolted cover and rearranging the various bolted on stowage bins,tools etc.
I've used a few sets from Scorpion Miniature Models including a corrected turret and etched track guard,bolted transmission cover and the early suspension.
Here's where I'm up to at the moment.Couple of figures planned for it from David Parkins and AC models with some minor alterations.
Any advice,criticism etc. would be very welcome.
IMG_20200207_153323_hdr.jpg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
1/35 Laurie

Hi Jon,

don't know if it is the same for Scimitar but I found that the engine deck louvres were backward on the kit compared to the Scorpion vehicle I took reference pictures of so have made a new set of louvres

scor-065_2015-06-15.JPG
quite a lot of other details don't match either

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Si.
The Scimitar shares the hull sprues with their Scorpion.I never thought to look at the direction of the louvres!
That aside there's enough bits and pieces to build an accurate Falklands vehicle. There are enough contemporary photos to confirm or otherwise most details though the result will be an amalgamation of vehicles rather than a specific one.
The camo.netting that seems common at the time should obscure any dodgy bits.
Your Scorpion looks really good.Is that Eduard etch you've used?
Jon.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Jon - yes, Eduard. It stalled some time ago - really should get back to it and try to finish it off

Here's a link to my reference photos - you never know, may be some details of use

Scorpion walk around

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Thanks Si.
Those photos wii be very useful.One thing I'm still not clear on is whether all vehicles had grilles fitted over the air intake/radiator openings.They're provided by Eduard and your photos show them fitted but I can't tell whether the Falklands scimitars had them or not.
Jon.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
I was with 1RTR LAD who were a CVR(T) regiment at the time all had mesh over the radiator grill. This was at the time of the Falklands conflict. HTH

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Great stuff Peter.
there's some very useful info. here.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Scottie.
Thanks for that.
Did you carry a BV for brewing up?
Jon.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oh Yes lol. The BV on the Scimitar and Scorpion was fitted inside under the traverse gearbox and caused a lot of issues with the clutch due to the steam.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is a wonderful treat to see your work on the forum Jon. I will look forward to seeing how this one turns out. Good luck

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Perhaps I ought to say that anyone is welcome to add photos of their own builds.I find them useful and interesting.
all criticism,advice and suggestions are equally welcome :smiling: ,
Jon.

Last edited:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Quick update.A couple of shots before slapping the wet stuff on.
I used Masterclub bolts for the hull top though I think they should be a little forward of where they are.
The track guard needs flattening at the corners and the tools and personal equipment will be fitted after the main painting.
turret hatches next.
Again.All comments,criticisms and advice welcome.
what have I missed so far,what's there that shouldn't be (other than the glue marks and cat hair) etc.
IMG_20200224_143914_hdr.jpgIMG_20200224_143940_hdr.jpgIMG_20200224_144021_hdr.jpg

D

Deleted member 5496

Perhaps I ought to say that anyone is welcome to add photos of their own builds.I find them useful and interesting.
all criticism,advice and suggestions are equally welcome :smiling: ,
Jon.
Hi Jon takinhg advatege & being cheeky here is my build of Scimitar & Scoprpion.

They are actually war games models relatively simple 1/48 all resin.

Added a lot to give them some reality. They are part of a 15 piece to form a diorama of those pieces
of equipment used by British Forces in the Falklands Conflict 1982. These are the only 1/48 I could find.

Looking at your build with great interest.

Laurie

0kHG2Y.jpg
2HVn8a.jpg
lbuebo.jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Thanks a lot Scottie and Ian.
Scottie.Seeing as you used to crew these things I'm relying on you to point out any mistakes or omissions :smiling:
Hi Laurie.Thanks for posting the pix.lovely models.I do like your Falklands work.You can see some of the mods and additions needed for a Falklands Scimitar-made a lot easier with the Scorpion Models sets.Not so simple at 1/48!
Jon.

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks a lot Scottie and Ian.
Scottie.Seeing as you used to crew these things I'm relying on you to point out any mistakes or omissions :smiling:
Hi Laurie.Thanks for posting the pix.lovely models.I do like your Falklands work.You can see some of the mods and additions needed for a Falklands Scimitar-made a lot easier with the Scorpion Models sets.Not so simple at 1/48!
Jon.
Thanks Jon very nice comments & much appreciated.

They are little darlings I really enjoyed building them. Did you know these machines can do 70mph
although I read that 50 mph was the max norm . Appeared at 70mph not many of the crew survived
the torture on tank terrain.

Laurie

A little fun so funny. The indigenous population of the Falklands.
uGpqPn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice update Jon. The build id coming along really well.

Laurie - When my daughter was serving in the Falklands she enjoyed playing with the penguins on the beach! :smiling2: