Scimitar CVR(T) in the Falklands 1982

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
A member of the SBS,sitting in a COP, apparently nearly gave himself up to a large enemy patrol until he realised he was looking at penguins!
Thanks Steve. Still picking up little details from the few photos I 've found.Like the transmission breather cowl and the rolled canvas covers for air intakes.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 5496

A member of the SBS,sitting in a COP, apparently nearly gave himself up to a large enemy patrol until he realised he was looking at penguins!
Jon.
Just love it Jon. if you visit Canary Wharf as it hits dusk look across from one side of the Canal to the other all the financial workers
on the patios standing around all look like penguins in their black suits.

As it goes in The Nightingale Barcley Square song. Cos I was there.

Laurie

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I have thanks Steve but I've noticed a couple more things looking again at these.
The first photo shows a couple of boxes stowed on the right track guard,forward of the bed rolls.Don't know what they are. Paradoxically the Scimitars,from what I've read,didn't carry 30mm Rarden ammo boxes but Scorpion did! You can see the Scorpion in your 4th photo carrying them.Any ideas what they are?
Jon.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I would imagine they are mortar boxes Jon. Possibly 81mm??

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
81 mm mortar rounds came (come?) in plastic containers that consist of two tubes with large screw tops, attached to each other with moulded-in bars and with a carry strap and handle:

ammunition-ammo-munitions-munitions-bullets-DPGDAF.jpg

AFAIK these were already in use in the early 80s.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
81 mm mortar rounds came (come?) in plastic containers that consist of two tubes with large screw tops, attached to each other with moulded-in bars and with a carry strap and handle:

View attachment 374396

AFAIK these were already in use in the early 80s.

They also came in brown metal ammo boxes like the ones on the Scimitars. I'll post some pictures when I finish work today.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This one, you mean?

british-81-mm-ammo-box-ammunition_1_2874bf5daf175b5ba1e2b19836fc777b.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

I don’t think that’s what’s in the first photo you posted of the Scimitar. The box there appears to be much smaller, but let’s see if we can work out if it is :smiling3: The box pictured above contains three sets of the double tubes; those tubes are 54 cm long (I just measured the one I own), and a quick bit of measuring in Photoshop then tells me the box they’re in is about 65 cm long. Hull length of a Scimitar is 497 cm, and that makes the boxes in the first photo (those immediately in front of the bed rolls or sleeping mats or whatever they may be) about 30 cm long, give or take an error margin of course.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Those two boxes look slimmer than the 81mm mortar cases to me.Can't see anything similar on any other photos so maybe just temporarily stowed.
thanks for the input.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
First paint job.Needs to be toned down and then detail painting and personal equipment added.
the two front headlights are below the track guard and reversed.
sorry about the poor photo quality.Done on my tablet.
IMG_20200303_232601_hdr.jpgIMG_20200303_232618_hdr.jpgIMG_20200303_232639_hdr.jpg

D

Deleted member 5496

Nice work Jon. Are you finishing as in theatre or just from the landing boat ?
Always a difficult decision.

Laurie

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Cheers Laurie
I think it'll be in the Fitzroy/Bluff Cove area,so well bedded in.The crew will be sharing a brew with a passing marine.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Thanks Steve and Paul.
I'm going to paint over some of the black just in front of the turret.Doesn't look right.Still got hatches and rear mud guards to fit but first.........tiny,tiny Masterclub tracks with tiny,tiny,tiny track pins.
Laurie- for artistic purposes the penguins have all beggared off to the west island.
Jon.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Guys

it may be that the brown metal ammo tins were trip flare tins - they are about 26x9x9 inches ( 66x22x22 cm) - they were sought after as toolboxes!

Mark

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jon,
Come a long way since I last looked in. And it is looking really good.
Mike.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Mark.
Thanks for the input.The three boxes on the forward track guard are trip flare boxes.The ones on the right hull may not be a standard issue thing I suppose.
Thanks Mike.
so far so good!
Jon.