Scott polar museum Cambridge

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I heard about this museum when we visited Cambridge 2 years ago.Sadly due to Covid restrictions it was open by appointment.So last Wednesday i finally got to visit this small but informative museum to the expeditions to the Polar regions.Im interested in the heroic u.k expeditions by the likes of Ross,Shackleton,Franklin (North west passage attempt that ended in disaster).Also Robert falcon Scott.Lots of artfifacts from the expeditions and food for thought for figure makers.
Richard

Attachments

• 20230810_104603.jpg
    20230810_104603.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230810_104918.jpg
    20230810_104918.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 3

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very interesting Richard. Quite a fascinating period in history.
If you are ever in Hampshire, look up the Gilbert White museum in Selbourne. It’s mostly natural history, but it does have a good exhibition illustrating Lawrence Oates‘ contribution to Scott’s expedition.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very interesting Richard. Quite a fascinating period in history.
If you are ever in Hampshire, look up the Gilbert White museum in Selbourne. It’s mostly natural history, but it does have a good exhibition illustrating Lawrence Oates‘ contribution to Scott’s expedition.
Hi Tim.
Sounds interesting.Thanks for the info heads up.
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Maritime Museum in Greenwich also has a small display and includes a cutter (small ship's boat for the uninitiated) as used by Scott et al - the thought of pulling a fully laden cutter in Arctic conditions is mind boggling (fully laden pulks in Norway was hard enough!). More great modelling inspiration!
Steve

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The Maritime Museum in Greenwich also has a small display and includes a cutter (small ship's boat for the uninitiated) as used by Scott et al - the thought of pulling a fully laden cutter in Arctic conditions is mind boggling (fully laden pulks in Norway was hard enough!). More great modelling inspiration!
Steve
Hiya Steve.
Missus P and me did the maritime museum last summer.It was a nice museum and glad ive been to both.Do like polar stuff.
Rich

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hiya Steve.
Missus P and me did the maritime museum last summer.It was a nice museum and glad ive been to both.Do like polar stuff.
Rich
Polar Bears, Fox's Glacier Mints, Snow & Ice, Snowballs - what's not to like mate! You appear to have a discriminating SWMBO as well! :tears-of-joy:
Steve

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sounds interesting. I will be in Cambridge later on this year so I might give it a whirl.

BTW, in 2016, I went to the FRAM Museum in Oslo, Norway - - which was excellent. I also managed to see the Gokstad 9th Century Viking ship and Kon-Tiki which were nearby. If you happen to be in Oslo, I heartily recommend all three.

Dave