Scotties L1500 Kfz. 70

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
On to the next build. An early birthday present from the wonderful frau. It is the Mini Art Kfz 70 with 7.62cm F.K. 39(r).

One thing I find strange is that a number of vehicles were Kfz 70 this one the L1500, the Krupp Protze and the Horch 108. I presume this was to a class of vehicle as opposed to the vehicle itself.

DSCF2742.JPG

The kit contains 13 light grey sprues of various sizes, 2 clear sprues, 3 sheets of PE 4 more small sprues containing rifles for the vehicle and another 6 sprues for the gun. They are all nicely moulded in light grey with good detail and the minimum of flash. like all Miniart kits there are a lot of small parts and will take some careful removal and assembly.

I am undecided at the moment about building the gun as well or saving it for a future stand alone build.

Hope you can join me again and keep me on the straight and narrow.

Scottie

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul. I’m first in looks like a nice build

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Ive often looked at this kit so will be good to see what it’s like.
Hopefully not too fiddly...I’m sure you’ll crack it :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bound to be another winner Paul, seat at the front with Lee and hopefully Si has done a bake .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul. I’m first in looks like a nice build
Welcome aboard mate I will try and keep the rabble away.
Ive often looked at this kit so will be good to see what it’s like.
Hopefully not too fiddly...I’m sure you’ll crack it :thumb2:
Si, I'm looking forward to it.
Bound to be another winner Paul, seat at the front with Lee and hopefully Si has done a bake .
Welcome matey sorry but we have eaten the cake.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should be another good one......I think you are correct about the Kfz designation by the way, it is a type or class of vehicle rather than a specific vehicle design.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
In for sure. If your recent builds are anything to go by we're in for a treat. A typical MiniArt kit - lots of itty-bitty bits but great detail :rolling:
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
One thing I find strange is that a number of vehicles were Kfz 70 this one the L1500, the Krupp Protze and the Horch 108. I presume this was to a class of vehicle as opposed to the vehicle itself.
Yes, it was. The Kfz. designation (and Sd.Kfz.) described a class or generic type of vehicle, not a specific model by a specific manufacturer. Thus, if several manufacturers all made vehicles that fit a description, they shared the (Sd.)Kfz. number. Oddly, Kfz. 70 is schwere Truppen-Luftschutz-Kraftwagen, approx. “Heavy Air Defense Vehicle” — I suspect MiniArt confused it with the Kfz. 69, Protz-, Mannschafts- oder Schützen-Kraftwagen, Zugkrafwagen für Pak, “Prime Mover, Troop- or Riflemen Vehicle, Tractor for Anti-Tank Gun” because the 70 was the 69 with a twin MG 34 anti-aircraft mounting installed.

Anyway, Kfz. 69 covered the well-known Krupp Protze as well as the schwerer Einheits-Pkw (“Heavy Standardised Car”), which was made by several manufacturers so they were not actually as interchangeable as had been intended. You have the latter type of vehicle there.

Using the same number for different vehicles was rare in armoured vehicles, because those were generally developed specifically for a purpose, but a good example is the Sd.Kfz. 231: this designation applies to both a six-wheeled (6×4) armoured car and an eight-wheeled (8×8) type, because they were both designed to fit the role of schwere Panzerspähwagen (“Heavy Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle”).

• Wow

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Should be another good one......I think you are correct about the Kfz designation by the way, it is a type or class of vehicle rather than a specific vehicle design.
Tim, fingers crossed mate I thought it must be.
Hi Scottie
In for sure. If your recent builds are anything to go by we're in for a treat. A typical MiniArt kit - lots of itty-bitty bits but great detail :rolling:
Jim
Jim, Very kind of you, and your right lots of itty bits.
Yes, it was. The Kfz. designation (and Sd.Kfz.) described a class or generic type of vehicle, not a specific model by a specific manufacturer. Thus, if several manufacturers all made vehicles that fit a description, they shared the (Sd.)Kfz. number. Oddly, Kfz. 70 is schwere Truppen-Luftschutz-Kraftwagen, approx. “Heavy Air Defense Vehicle” — I suspect MiniArt confused it with the Kfz. 69, Protz-, Mannschafts- oder Schützen-Kraftwagen, Zugkrafwagen für Pak, “Prime Mover, Troop- or Riflemen Vehicle, Tractor for Anti-Tank Gun” because the 70 was the 69 with a twin MG 34 anti-aircraft mounting installed.

Anyway, Kfz. 69 covered the well-known Krupp Protze as well as the schwerer Einheits-Pkw (“Heavy Standardised Car”), which was made by several manufacturers so they were not actually as interchangeable as had been intended. You have the latter type of vehicle there.

Using the same number for different vehicles was rare in armoured vehicles, because those were generally developed specifically for a purpose, but a good example is the Sd.Kfz. 231: this designation applies to both a six-wheeled (6×4) armoured car and an eight-wheeled (8×8) type, because they were both designed to fit the role of schwere Panzerspähwagen (“Heavy Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle”).
Thanks for that mate, I had a feeling it must of been along those lines
Following this with interest Paul.

Andy.
Andy, Good to have you along.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Seat front and centre if I may Scottie. It would be great if you get the artillery piece done as well. Roof down or up??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hope the cushions are comfy!

Looks like another work of art on the way!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I know these are supposed to be available in resin in my scale but have yet to find one......looking on with envy. BTW most all the pics I have seen of these show them with just a single rear wheel and tire. I found one photo that showed this vehicle equipped with "duals" in the rear.....sure made it look "Beefy". Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Seat front and centre if I may Scottie. It would be great if you get the artillery piece done as well. Roof down or up??
Steve, always a seat at the front for you mate. I will probably do the gun as well. Roof I haven't decided yet.
Hope the cushions are comfy!

Looks like another work of art on the way!
Bob, not sure about work of art.
Definitely one not to miss
Cheers Mick.

Will be watching closely
Gerry, good to have you on board.
I know these are supposed to be available in resin in my scale but have yet to find one......looking on with envy. BTW most all the pics I have seen of these show them with just a single rear wheel and tire. I found one photo that showed this vehicle equipped with "duals" in the rear.....sure made it look "Beefy". Rick H.
Rick, twin wheels would make it look good but would probably need a narrower axle of mods to the arches.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well this kit is not for the faint hearted. There are a lot of tiny and I mean tiny parts. The location points are also small.

I have not bothered with a full engine as I am not going to show the bonnet open so just built enough to provide location points for the transmission.

DSCF2747.JPG

The chassis builds up into a nicely detailed rendition. The vehicle has twin spring hangers these were fun to line up. the exhaust was drilled out and a few pewter rivets added to the springs.

DSCF2743.JPG

DSCF2748.JPG

Work has started on the axles the front was very fiddly indeed.

DSCF2744.JPG

cheers
Scottie

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Rick, twin wheels would make it look good but would probably need a narrower axle of mods to the arches.
Would probably just need shorter axles so that the front wheels line up with the outside rear tyres and slightly flared arches to make it look neater - if I remember my lorry driving time right, anyway

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
A good neat looking start. The chassis and running gear is a good section to get under your belt - fragile and complex.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I think your probably right about Miniart kits, definitely not meant for a quick weekend build! :flushed:
A great start so far :thumb2: