Scotties L1500 Kfz. 70

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Added a driver and glued the top on.

I have made a start on the gun. I have added some aiming rods to one trail arm and a shovel to the other. Am I correct in thinking the rods will be red and white bands?

DSCF2796.JPG

DSCF2797.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is correct Scottie! If you are building an artillery piece.......I think the FK 39 is an anti tank gun captured from the Russians...... don't know if they used them or not. Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

Sorry I'm a bit late. In terms of superlatives, will 'top-notch' do?

Love the way that has turned out.

ATB.

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That is correct Scottie! If you are building an artillery piece.......I think the FK 39 is an anti tank gun captured from the Russians...... don't know if they used them or not. Rick H.
Cheers Rick, I guess they could just be cleaning rods then.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Paul,

The 7,62 gun you have in the kit was originally a 1939 Russian 7,62 (297) field artillery piece. Loads of them were captured by the Germans and used as artillery pieces. Others were converted into Pak anti tank weapons, hence the F.K. 39 designation. These were re-bored to accept German 7,62 AT ammunition. In modifying them to the AT role, the right handwheel was moved to the left side. Now both handwheels could be operated by one person sighting the gun. A muzzlebrake was also added to these models (F.K. 39's) like in the kit....

Aiming poles were not used on AT weapons. You could paint them wood color and leave them on the trailing arm. Aiming poles were used for artillery pieces both towed and tracked (Hummel, Wespe etc.). These were painted red and white for that purpose...HTHs and have fun moving the right handwheel (if you want to) Bro.............

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul,

The 7,62 gun you have in the kit was originally a 1939 Russian 7,62 (297) field artillery piece. Loads of them were captured by the Germans and used as artillery pieces. Others were converted into Pak anti tank weapons, hence the F.K. 39 designation. These were re-bored to accept German 7,62 AT ammunition. In modifying them to the AT role, the right handwheel was moved to the left side. Now both handwheels could be operated by one person sighting the gun. A muzzlebrake was also added to these models (F.K. 39's) like in the kit....

Aiming poles were not used on AT weapons. You could paint them wood color and leave them on the trailing arm. Aiming poles were used for artillery pieces both towed and tracked (Hummel, Wespe etc.). These were painted red and white for that purpose...HTHs and have fun moving the right handwheel (if you want to) Bro.............

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen I think I will pass on the hand wheel. I will just paint them up as cleaning rods.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Definately cleaning rods.

Not to want to hijack Paul's thread but briefly what is everyones opinion of what they were made of. Metal tubes with alluminium ends or wooden with brass ends? Hopefully the answer will be both

PAK_40_Cleaning_Brush_and_Pole-1208x368.jpg

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry

Not to want to hijack Paul's thread but briefly what is everyones opinion of what they were made of. Metal tubes with alluminium ends or wooden with brass ends? Hopefully the answer will be both

View attachment 420375
I would say that they wouldn't use a 'hard' metal - as that could well damage the rifling & 'crown', making it less accurate

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

View attachment 420375
No worries about hijacking I appreciate the input. I would say wood with brass ferrules.
I would say that they wouldn't use a 'hard' metal - as that could well damage the rifling & 'crown', making it less accurate
Agreed they wouldn't be hard metal and I imagine aluminium would have been to valuable for other purposes.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello all,

The gun is built, quite fiddly in places with small parts. The wheels and barrel are not glued so I can remove them for painting. Given the weather conditions I wrapped the breech and muzzle in cloth made from rizzla papers and white glue.

DSCF2799.JPG

DSCF2800.JPG

DSCF2801.JPG

DSCF2802.JPG

DSCF2803.JPG

DSCF2804.JPG

cheers
Scottie