Scotties Miniart US Bulldozer

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Martyn, I will probably ignore the kit pipes and make them from copper were possible. Its good to know Miniart replaced the broken items ,what was the lead time?
To be honest Scottie I don't think it was that long a week if I remember correctly, I even emailed them to see if they could send me replacement headlight assemblies as my boys managed to get they're hands on it so I had to replace the two complete pieces again they sent me the parts no questions asked.

Marty

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I wouldn’t count on it taking just a week now, though, given where MiniArt are in the world.
Yes , can see that being a problem, but read yesterday a model company in the West of the country has started production again. No mention given when I read it of who it was . Mini Art did move several years ago from the East so it might be them .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Are they the company that put the picture of the dog with chewed sprues in their box? Tag line of the picture was, in effect, “Don’t shout at him, just contact us and we’ll send you replacements “. Pretty cool I thought.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
To be honest Scottie I don't think it was that long a week if I remember correctly, I even emailed them to see if they could send me replacement headlight assemblies as my boys managed to get they're hands on it so I had to replace the two complete pieces again they sent me the parts no questions asked.

Marty
That's good to hear, from what I read on here a lot of companies it is a battle to get a good service.

Are they the company that put the picture of the dog with chewed sprues in their box? Tag line of the picture was, in effect, “Don’t shout at him, just contact us and we’ll send you replacements “. Pretty cool I thought.
A cool piece of advertising.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Due to a couple of broken pieces earlier in the build all my fault I should say. Looking at the build I should have left them off until later in the construction, I have decided to replace all the rod type parts with copper wire that way they will hopefully be more robust.

Hydraulic pipes were replaced a section of vinyl pipe was also added to hopefully represent the fittings. Also in the picture the dip stick was replaced with copper wire and punched pewter.
DSCF3427.JPG

Next some levers were added.

DSCF3424.JPG
DSCF3425.JPG

I will redo the piece above as I have noticed the cap is off centre, I will also remove the rivet/screw detail on the cover plate and add punched items.

This was also modified, whatever it is.

DSCF3426.JPG

Finally for this update two radiator braces were added from wire.

DSCF3428.JPG

comments good or bad always welcomed as always.

cheers
Scottie

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No, that was ICM, it had that page in the Studebaker truck kit I built a while ago.

Andy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
I think you're wise to swap out those pipes and levers for wire. You'd get fed up with knocking them off and I'm also sure the carpet monster would be laying in wait for a snack or two.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
I think you're wise to swap out those pipes and levers for wire. You'd get fed up with knocking them off and I'm also sure the carpet monster would be laying in wait for a snack or two.
Jim
Jim,
Your right especially when they take so long to clean up.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Scottie. Probably easier to scratch than clean up the wire parts anyway ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Best idea to replace with the wire Paul, how many times have we had one break, even on the sprue.They look better anyway.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie, the plumbing looks really good as does the levers well done mate .
Cheers Martyn glad you approve.

Best idea to replace with the wire Paul, how many times have we had one break, even on the sprue.They look better anyway.
Your right there John I normally replace wing mirror arms etc but even those I leave to as near the end as possible.

Have to agree w/all above. Much better looking & much more robust.
Thanks Paul.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is a frustrating build nearly every lever has snapped while trying to remove it from the sprue or trying to clean them up. This despite using a razor saw and sharp blades. As you can see from the picture I started to make a replacement steering lever as both had snapped then realised that they will not be seen as all the linkages are hidden by the footplates or seat. So I wimped out.
DSCF3433.JPG

this linkage I had to make as it is prominent on the side of the engine. Made from wire and punched details.

DSCF3434.JPG

What I didn't realise is that it had suspension I thought it would just have had a sprung seat. Then finally for this stage the belly plates, front towing hook and rear hook attachment.

DSCF3435.JPG

I am just wondering how long it is before I snap off the surviving levers.

cheers
Scottie