Scotties panzer lll

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Look forward to seeing the finished article when your happy with the crew Scottie, I've not tried Miniart but had similar probs with MasterBox figures, very soft plastic so me being bit heavy handed, removing seams and flashing was not all that was removed!
Onwards and upwards tho eh!
Cheers Rob..

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Look forward to seeing the finished article when your happy with the crew Scottie, I've not tried Miniart but had similar probs with MasterBox figures, very soft plastic so me being bit heavy handed, removing seams and flashing was not all that was removed!
Onwards and upwards tho eh!
Cheers Rob..
It doesn't help when I am c**p at painting figures at the best of times.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I struggle with figure painting too Scottie!
I've found that,as you have found out, the quality of figure itself can be a major disadvantage straight from the off !
This is obviously just my opinion,but, when I moved onto resin figures,the superb detailing of them helped my painting immensely ;)
By no means whatsoever am I saying I'm a top figure painter.... But my personal improvement has been very pleasing :smiling3:
Andy

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've found that,as you have found out, the quality of figure itself can be a major disadvantage straight from the off !
This is obviously just my opinion,but, when I moved onto resin figures,the superb detailing of them helped my painting immensely ;)
By no means whatsoever am I saying I'm a top figure painter.... But my personal improvement has been very pleasing :smiling3:
Andy
Andy, you are right about the quality of the figures they do make it easier especially when like me you find figures difficult. My big problem is I get frustrated I see the pictures of the details and finish that can be achieved, and after watching countless videos and reading books I cannot do it to my satisfaction. I know it's so wrong to compare your work with others but it is unavoidable for me anyway.

Just had a catch up Paul, really nice work on this.
Bob, good to see you and thanks.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy, you are right about the quality of the2 figures they do make it easier especially when like me you find figures difficult. My big problem is I get frustrated I see the pictures of the details and finish that can be achieved, and after watching countless videos and reading books I cannot do it to my satisfaction. I know it's so wrong to compare your work with others but it is unavoidable for me anyway.

Bob, good to see you and thanks.
Yeah,COMPLETELY agree with getting frustrated when gazing,in awe,of the "Master Figure painter" finishes....... ESPECIALLY on the Faces:flushed:!!
But really mate,we should`t...... the proper figure people would be VERY jealous of what you do with your AFVs...
I`ve found the uniform/clothing/equipment,is enhanced by miles when painting the resin stuff.... takes shading SO well:thumb2:.......
....... HOWEVER ,(and, i`m guessing you`re talking about the FACES , of your figures),as INMHO your individual figures,uniform etc,looki fine... It`s just the skin stuff,in general, is a real science mate.....:cool:
.... but we`ll both get there.;)..:thumb2:........ (EVENTUALLY!!!!)
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yeah,COMPLETELY agree with getting frustrated when gazing,in awe,of the "Master Figure painter" finishes....... ESPECIALLY on the Faces:flushed:!!
But really mate,we should`t...... the proper figure people would be VERY jealous of what you do with your AFVs...
I`ve found the uniform/clothing/equipment,is enhanced by miles when painting the resin stuff.... takes shading SO well:thumb2:.......
....... HOWEVER ,(and, i`m guessing you`re talking about the FACES , of your figures),as INMHO your individual figures,uniform etc,looki fine... It`s just the skin stuff,in general, is a real science mate.....:cool:
Andy
Agree completely about Scottie’s build qualities. Top drawer stuff! His attention to detail is up there with the best, no matter what he says….. and his figures are pretty decent as well.

As to figure painting, if there is a secret weapon it’s a using a wet palette and learning to dilute the paint correctly……wait, that’s two secret weapons…..must be careful or I’ll go full python and mention the comfy chair next.…..in effect, the paint needs to flow off the brush, not be pushed or scraped off.
Weirdly, I find the skin easier than the clothing, at least, in the smaller scales (1/35 and below). I’m no Rembrandt, but have worked out a method that gives effective results with the minimum effort. A good base colour, rough highlights (nose, cheeks, point of chin, forehead) with a lighter colour giving decent contrast, a generous splash of skin wash, and Rob’s yer relative! The rest, five o’clock shadow, mouth, lips, teeth if they are there, and eyes if you really want them, is just window dressing. It takes a decent point on your brush, properly thinned paint, and patience. I always paint face and hands first, then proceed to “dress” the figure with the successive layers of clothing. That way you can tidy up the edges as you go.
I know I bang on about this a lot, but I think the biggest hurdle to successfully painting figures is simply the fear of painting figures. Everyone thinks it will be hard, so, it is hard……I’m not saying it’s easy, but it certainly is no harder than decent paint and weathering finish on a tank or aircraft. With a bit of planning and organisation decent results are within the reach of anyone that wants them. It does take time though. I would expect to spend about three hours on a 1/35 WW2 figure to get a decent result.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Andy
D'accord mon ami! (And the amount of Sauvignon Blanc of course ... )
Steve

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy
Yes mate as they say practice makes perfect.

Agree completely about Scottie’s build qualities. Top drawer stuff! His attention to detail is up there with the best, no matter what he says….. and his figures are pretty decent as well.

As to figure painting, if there is a secret weapon it’s a using a wet palette and learning to dilute the paint correctly……wait, that’s two secret weapons…..must be careful or I’ll go full python and mention the comfy chair next.…..in effect, the paint needs to flow off the brush, not be pushed or scraped off.
Weirdly, I find the skin easier than the clothing, at least, in the smaller scales (1/35 and below). I’m no Rembrandt, but have worked out a method that gives effective results with the minimum effort. A good base colour, rough highlights (nose, cheeks, point of chin, forehead) with a lighter colour giving decent contrast, a generous splash of skin wash, and Rob’s yer relative! The rest, five o’clock shadow, mouth, lips, teeth if they are there, and eyes if you really want them, is just window dressing. It takes a decent point on your brush, properly thinned paint, and patience. I always paint face and hands first, then proceed to “dress” the figure with the successive layers of clothing. That way you can tidy up the edges as you go.
I know I bang on about this a lot, but I think the biggest hurdle to successfully painting figures is simply the fear of painting figures. Everyone thinks it will be hard, so, it is hard……I’m not saying it’s easy, but it certainly is no harder than decent paint and weathering finish on a tank or aircraft. With a bit of planning and organisation decent results are within the reach of anyone that wants them. It does take time though. I would expect to spend about three hours on a 1/35 WW2 figure to get a decent result.
Tim, Your spot on with the points you make and they are the systems I try to use, I think the most important is the paint thickness, I guess I am just heavy handed lol.
Hopefully I will get there in the end.

D'accord mon ami! (And the amount of Sauvignon Blanc of course ... )
Steve
Steve, I will drink to that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim, Your spot on with the points you make and they are the systems I try to use, I think the most important is the paint thickness, I guess I am just heavy handed lol.
Hopefully I will get there in the end.
Yep, trying to cover in one coat was a lesson I took a long time to learn. It’s actually quicker to paint something three times with well thinned paint that it is to do it once with lumpy rubbish that needs remedial work afterwards…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Even figure painters shy away from "poor" figures. A poor figure can sometimes be improved with a Hornet head, sharpening detail, adding pe buckles etc but that only works up to a point.
I look forward to seeing this completed with the new figures and also your new project.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yep, trying to cover in one coat was a lesson I took a long time to learn. It’s actually quicker to paint something three times with well thinned paint that it is to do it once with lumpy rubbish that needs remedial work afterwards…..
Agreed mate.

Hi Scottie
Even figure painters shy away from "poor" figures. A poor figure can sometimes be improved with a Hornet head, sharpening detail, adding pe buckles etc but that only works up to a point.
I look forward to seeing this completed with the new figures and also your new project.
Jim
It is a pity as the likes of Masterbox and Miniart for example do a great selection of figures and poses not just the normal standing and pointing figures. If only the quality was so much better.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
What a lovely build Paul. Every time you produce the goods!!

May get the 1/16 Pz 111 to go with the Stug

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
That is a really great result. Figures are excellent and add to the build. A load of great detail to enjoy. You should be dead chuffed.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Scottie. Finish is superb as always, and the figures are excellent. Lovely job.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
That is a really great result. Figures are excellent and add to the build. A load of great detail to enjoy. You should be dead chuffed.
Jim
Jim, thanks mate I must admit I am quite happy with the end result.
Looks great Scottie. Finish is superb as always, and the figures are excellent. Lovely job.
Tim, you are to kind thank you.
Far too humble as always. Those figures are superb!
Jack, thank you mate but I am never happy with the figures.