Scotties taking a Liberty

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A little bit more assembly work and a few more details added.
DSCF2231.JPG

Did some work on the tail gate with the addition of some details as shown on my reference pics. Please excuse the mess around the edge that is filler that will be removed.

DSCF2232.JPG

Looking at the picture I don't like the chain loops so I will remove them and redo them.

cheers
Scottie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Shaping up nicely Scottie. I agree, the loops look a little wonky, this is a problem one faces when fabricating small parts by hand. I do a lot of trial and error manufacturing as a small dimensional mistake in 1/87 scale looks huge in the final assembly. I have every confidence you will get it sorted out. Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

6 pages of awesomeness but somehow I've managed not to comment, despite admiring every episode!

Fantastic work Paul, looking forward to more instalments

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Shaping up nicely Scottie. I agree, the loops look a little wonky, this is a problem one faces when fabricating small parts by hand. I do a lot of trial and error manufacturing as a small dimensional mistake in 1/87 scale looks huge in the final assembly. I have every confidence you will get it sorted out. Cheers, Rick H.
Thanks Rick,
It's my fault I tried to cut a corner but will redo them properly when i get back to the bench. I don't envy you doing this sort of thing in the scale you work in.
6 pages of awesomeness but somehow I've managed not to comment, despite admiring every episode!

Fantastic work Paul, looking forward to more instalments
Andy,
No worries at least your looking in thanks for the kind words.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another wonderful update Scottie. Does the plastic "wooden" sections have woodgrain on them or will you have to add it yourself??

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another wonderful update Scottie. Does the plastic "wooden" sections have woodgrain on them or will you have to add it yourself??
Hi Steve, I have added a little grain effect. This won't be to beaten up as they were not in theatre for long but I will be trying to add some wear and tear to the cargo bed using the hairspray technique.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
All very impressive work Paul, just been having a catch up & picking up a few tips.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just caught up on this Scottie,(DAWG!!),
Great stuff all the way through,although the star of the show so far,obviously has to be the engine-beautiful :cool:,
looking forward to following this all the way in mate.
Cheers,
Andy

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW Scottie.... those tiny hooks will give a super realistic look...

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
All very impressive work Paul, just been having a catch up & picking up a few tips.
Graeme, thanks fella glad you like it, not sure what tips I can give you.
Just caught up on this Scottie,(DAWG!!),
Great stuff all the way through,although the star of the show so far,obviously has to be the engine-beautiful :cool:,
looking forward to following this all the way in mate.
Cheers,
Andy
Andy, Thanks mate glad to have you along.
WOW Scottie.... those tiny hooks will give a super realistic look...
Greg, Thanks hopefully I wont knock them off.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Added a little bit more today but forgot to take pictures before I painted them black and with my normal photographic skills you cant see anything. But I added some detail to the carbon generator for the spot light. And some rivets to the chassis by the engine.

DSCF2234.JPG

Next gave the back a pre shade and sprayed the interior with wood. Will have a go at lightly chipping the inside but wont wont a lot as they were not in service long.

DSCF2235.JPG

Finally redid the hooks on the tail gate. Rather than just glue the rings on a strip of evergreen which would be very weak and prone to break off, I drilled into the edge of the strip then formed a loop with a tail and inserted the tail in the hole this has made a strong attachment the two rivets were added to 0.6 rivets were added before fixing in place.

DSCF2237.JPG

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
To anyone who hasn't fallen asleep yet.
Added the grab rails to the cab from 0.5 copper wire with the ends flattened and a punched rivet, and a strip of evergreen as my pictures show a ridge.

DSCF2238.JPG

The cargo deck and tail gate were chipped and weathered using the hairspray method. I am happy with the way it turned out. It looks very bright at the moment but this will tone down with the rest of the weathering.

DSCF2239.JPG

DSCF2240.JPG

I will need to touch up the green of the metal bands prior to the next stage

cheers
Scottie

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Top class use of the hairspray there Scottie :thumb2: ,
Really looking the Dog`s already!!
Cheers,
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Lovely grab handles. wish I could do that in 1/87 scale! The bolt heads would be microscopic:rolling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Top class use of the hairspray there Scottie :thumb2: ,
Really looking the Dog`s already!!
Cheers,
Andy
Andy, Thanks fella I must admit i am fairly happy with the way it turned out but I think i should have gone for a slightly darker brown but hopefully it will darken down as the weathering continues.
Lovely grab handles. wish I could do that in 1/87 scale! The bolt heads would be microscopic:rolling:
Rick, I struggle at this size so I can imagine what they would be like in titchy scale, but having seen your work the detail you add is outstanding.