Scottish Holiday

J

Jonr1234

Don't know if anyone really cares but I thought I'd tell you that I'm off to Scotland for the annual holiday this year! We leave on the 3rd of July so it's pretty close. Only for a week tho :damn:

We're going to Inverness and I'm hoping to get a look at all the great railways that the highlands have to offer!

I'm hoping to have a look at the Strathspey railway and the Jakobite which runs from Malaig to Fort William (Which, for all you Harry Potter fans, featured in the previous films, especially the latest film). We are also hoping to go on the Cairngorm mountain railway which obviously goes up the Cairngorm Mountains! It looks stunning!

lol I can't wait and I can't wait to get back and tell you all about it! I always take my precious digital camera with me on holidays, so look forward to some piccys!

D

duncan

Auch Aye, you will be welcome. Add the Kyle Line from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh to your list. The Transport Museum in Glasgow is worth an hour or two,trams, locomotives, underground trains,buses,cars and the biggest collection of model ships in the world. See also if paddle steamer Waverley is sailing out of Glasgow to the west coast. STEAM powered. Check out www.funimag.com and look for Cairngorm page. You will lots of info on funicular railways all over the world on this site, old (very) and new. While you are in Fort William take a trip on the gondola at Aonoch Mohr ski area for another type of funicular( better scenery than Cairngorms ). Try to take in the Falkirk Wheel on the Forth and Clyde Canal (you will be close if you are visiting Bo`ness Railway) and you will have had a great engineering (non tartan`n haggis) trip.:clap:

J

Jonr1234

lol thanks for that interesting list, I'll certainly have a look at a few of them! We're (my parents and I) staying in a Hoseasons camp in Inverness and we can't really travel too far out of the way from there, but we'll have a go!

I bet my mum won't want the whole holiday taken up with different types of rail transport! (shame)

J

Jonr1234

Well, I've been away from this forum for about 3 weeks (been so busy) and there have hardly been any posts at all! I think we need to get some more people interested in this site, as it's a great one!

Anyway... I've been on that there holiday! We had a wonderful time! I'll tell you our complete day by day list of things we did! Prepare to fall asleep!

Saturday 20:00 - Flight leaves Gatwick for Aberdeen

Flight arrives. Drive to Premier Lodge hotel, stay the night.

Sunday - Drive to Inverness and find chalet park. (Mum booked chalet b4 flight, hence why we travelled so far!)

Monday - Went to Loch ness and saw the exhibits on the monsters! Went to Fort Augustus to view the scenery and the staircase of canal locks. Visited Urquhart castle on the way back.

Tuesday - Traveled to Fort William and travveled to Malaig on the West Highland line, the Jacobite. (Very excited about the Glennfinan Viaduct!!)

Wednesday - Had a peek round the city of Inverness, lol

Thursday - Drove all the way up to the Kyle of Lockalsh and saw the Isle of Skye and the bridge!

Friday - Visited the Strathspey Railway and had a ride! Went up the Cairngorm mountains on the funicular railway. Not much to see cos it was very misty :darn: Drove back to the hotel at Aberdeen

Saturday - Flight left for England at 11:00

I'd loved to have seen the Falkirk Wheel on the Forth and Clyde Canal, it looked very spectacular! Me and Dad love our canals, dad more than me I think!

I'll attatch some piccy's!

View attachment 6972

View attachment 6971

View attachment 6970

View attachment 6969

/monthly_2004_07/Skye.JPG.b4924f390fefb2fe412312f2d2bdf7fd.JPG

/monthly_2004_07/Ivatt.JPG.01d0388d4bc65ab5823ce97cdcbe8a6a.JPG

/monthly_2004_07/57272b6b53745_GenfinnanViaduct.JPG.063e488bb7357b3d1c0235776f2eee23.JPG

/monthly_2004_07/Castle.JPG.847ca2d130e7495e82a1281143f369e4.JPG

View attachment 11614

View attachment 11615

View attachment 11616

View attachment 11617

View attachment 12264

View attachment 12265

View attachment 12266

View attachment 12267

Castle.JPG

Genfinnan Viaduct.JPG

Ivatt.JPG