Scratchbuild repair, Corgi tipper trailer

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

A friend of mine collects die cast vehicles, mostly HGV & PSV. He has around 160 at the moment, a fair few of which I've done minor repairs on and painted in a matching colour scheme to give a "fleet" look.

He'd heard that I'd caught the moggeling bug so came to me a few weeks ago with a cheap eBay find, wondering if there was anything I could do. The cab needs a bit of work to fill some random holes and remove glue marks, the kind of stuff I've done for him in the past, but it was completely missing a tailgate for the tipper trailer which was new territory.

Here's what I had to work with.

ZuLuONM.jpg

YhoevIl.jpg

Since my Hind is virtually finished I made a start on this tonight. A slightly sanded cocktail stick proved to be a great fit for the hinge and fitted snugly inside some 3mm square tubing for the top of the tailgate. Some 1mm card made the main section, with a bit of strip added on the inside for extra gluing surface.

CFQPR4c.jpg

9eLNDZU.jpg

Then I gave it a frame, 3mm wide, which was roughly in scale with the ribs on the trailers sides.

MjVLKb4.jpg

And some strengthening ribs, a little door and a handle

PGKGK0z.jpg

There's a bit of sanding and finishing to do once the glue has gone off fully, but I'm pleased with how it looks so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pleased, well you should be Andy.
That repair to the tailgate looks brilliant.

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Off to a good start Andy

There are loads of pics on the net of the Volvo so it should be easy to see what's missing - most obvious are the windscreen wiper bar from the bottom of the screen, sun visor off the top of the screen, light bar off the roof and the mirrors off the side

Should keep you busy for a while

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, what scale are these die-cast wonders? Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nicely done Andy. Will you painting the whole vehicle or just your additions?

D

Deleted member 7181

Please, well you should be Andy.
That repair to the tailgate looks brilliant.

Thanks John, I think the owner will like it too. He was only expecting a flat plate of roughly the right shape glued on, so to have a hinging tailgate with a bit of detail should make him a happy bunny.

Off to a good start Andy

There are loads of pics on the net of the Volvo so it should be easy to see what's missing - most obvious are the windscreen wiper bar from the bottom of the screen, sun visor off the top of the screen, light bar off the roof and the mirrors off the side

Should keep you busy for a while

Fortunately I have the wipers and sun visor, they've just fallen off. He wasn't bothered about replacing the light bar or air horns (I've discovered that's what the holes in the roof were for) but I may have a stab at recreating the lights at least.

There's some confusion over the model as the code inside ( CC 12802 ) suggests it's a Scania with Eddie Stobart livery, which clearly it isn't. I can only assume they use the same trailer casting for various models and just change the tractor unit and colour scheme, which makes economic sense.

Hi Andy, what scale are these die-cast wonders? Rick H.

1/50 I believe Rick, the trailer is 8" long. That equates to roughly 33 feet, which sounds about right.

Nicely done Andy. Will you painting the whole vehicle or just your additions?

Undecided as yet Steve. I do often paint models for him but he can't make his mind up whether to stay with the original colour or repaint it completely to match his fleet.

D

Deleted member 7181

The guy has finally decided that he wants this painting so I gave it a blast over. White Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 last night followed by 2 coats of Mr Color gloss white. I then masked out the white sections this morning and gave them 2 coats of MrC gloss red. I pretty much ran out of red, had to really thin it down for the second coat so I've not got full coverage on a few areas, but he'll be more than happy with it.

huF3b6Y.jpg

5gUv106.jpg

lb9hf0w.jpg

zc0CcDi.jpg

Couldn't split the hydraulic ram from the trailer chassis without major surgery so I'll brush that in with something later.