Scud B

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Glad the decorating is done. Oh such fun :rolling:
Suspension is so often fragile. I suppose it is the manufacturers trying to get good detail to scale and styrene being weak when in small sections. Your replacement brass rods will be so much better.
Jim

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
Glad the decorating is done. Oh such fun :rolling:
Suspension is so often fragile. I suppose it is the manufacturers trying to get good detail to scale and styrene being weak when in small sections. Your replacement brass rods will be so much better.
Jim
Hello Jim,
The 'pins' for the wheel hubs are about 1mm in length and the same square. These if you follow the instructions clip onto the disc/hub, then comes the fun of connecting the suspension arms to the hub, and that is where you run into the problem. Because you have to use a bit of grunt and force to get the arms to clip onto the hub, then the 'pins' suffer. I managed to break three out of four. But the ironic thing is I thought at the start of assembly that I should have just drilled and pinned :tired:..... So you now have a working suspension - well not really because if you connect the kit shock absorbers, these then as supplied fix the suspension in place..... see my next update.
Cheers
Mike.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY WELL DONE Mike on this build as it looks very complicaited but im following your proggress an you say the cab tilts forward so will it be hindged so it can go up an down as thats how i would do it if it was me building it as that way you got the best of both worlds
ATB CHRIS

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
The suspension in the kit is workable, but once you attach the shock absorbers then they negate this feature. You can of course replace the shocks and drill out the locations for these to be pinned later and retain the working suspension. Or you can replace the kit shocks and once the model is located on your base/diorama the new shocks can be added and cemented in place showing the movement and avoid the 'dog having a P' effect......
shock ab.jpg
So above is my method for replacing the shocks.
Both ends of the kit items are cut off after being drilled all the way through using the locating holes as a guide. These are then cut away and the rest of the shock discarded. A length of Aluminium tube is cut using a Stanley knife rolled back and forth to seperate the tube. Also at the same time cut two lengths of plastic rod, to stop any distortion a drill is placed in the tube as support. The end pieces are now drilled to accept the plastic rod, one piece for the shock itself and one for the mounting as seen on the finished item. Once dry then they can be painted ready for adding to the model.
I should add that at the beginning of the build the components for this model can actually be built as seperate units - chassis, cab(s), launch arm and missile etc and then all can be assembled and painted and assembled into the final item as you wish - the instructions would have you build as a progress and paint along except that you will be adding to stages already painted, or if left to the end a big struggle with painting. No big thing, but thought I would add this finding to help out.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Work has not stalled, but the Scud is slowly appearing. At the moment it is just follow the instructions, paint and then glue.... And really if it was not pointed out you would not realise the difference, even I become confused with it.
The shock absorbers have now been finished and painted and are on the sidelines waiting for the suspension to be set up on a base (not even ready yet) before being attached along with the drive shafts.
So at the moment doing some catching up on a long ignored scratchbuild which I want to get completed before Xmas. So bear with me, that means stay with me and not take off all your clothes - that is bare - and i will post when I have something to actually show.
Cheers
Mike.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Olderthanme,

Nice to see you back at the bench and driving on with this biggie thing Mike. You always do a bang-up on your builds too. All eyes on this one now. Hope you guys are ok and doing well. Please take care.......

Youngerthanyou (Ret.)

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Olderthanme,

Nice to see you back at the bench and driving on with this biggie thing Mike. You always do a bang-up on your builds too. All eyes on this one now. Hope you guys are ok and doing well. Please take care.......

Youngerthanyou (Ret.)
Hello Youngerthanmeperson,
Unfortunately still around in some eyes, and still here to stir the pot. Yes we are still ok and faring well. I have just spent a couple of months trying to get these bone idle MP's of ours to shift their derrieres and get us old retired HGV drivers back to work as they did with the NHS staff, but as usual they are ignoring the problem and throwing money at the fire.
As for the build, as I said it is still ongoing with little to report at the moment or you can sit through the boring "Today I stuck the gas bottles together - tomorrow I will stick more things together....":tired:..... or you can have some of this.....
20211015_162927.jpg
Modelled with a background of that music you get in a hotel lift when you are all staring at the walls waiting for the posh lady to drop one :tongue-out3:......
Next week will be back on the Scud working on the rear end lifting area for the missile.
So take care Youngerthanmeperson.
The Olderthanyouperson.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Still progressing slowly on this build, but getting there.
Yesterday I built up the front bumper - 23 peices - and now along with the tow rope now in primer.
The shock absorbers are now fitted and the ride height has been set...
20211025_103338.jpg
Shock absorber ready for mounting...
20211025_103401.jpg
All fitted into their place and weathered later.
And still not finished with the chassis build - still only three more stages to go...
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Update,
Still progressing slowly on this build, but getting there.
Yesterday I built up the front bumper - 23 peices - and now along with the tow rope now in primer.
The shock absorbers are now fitted and the ride height has been set...
View attachment 437007
Shock absorber ready for mounting...
View attachment 437008
All fitted into their place and weathered later.
And still not finished with the chassis build - still only three more stages to go...
Mike.
I should like to point out that there is nothing wrong with my Gas Bottles ( see latest update ) :smiling3::nerd:
Pointy Shoes Club President.