Scud B

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Where on earth are you going to display this, its some size, looks bigger than the bridge layer you built Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Where on earth are you going to display this, its some size, looks bigger than the bridge layer you built Mike.
I am pleased you brought that up, SWMBO has already stated that it stays in my room! The dog suggested putting it in the garden as a new 'P' pole for him????
20210820_112555.jpg
Ignore the ghost in the background, he just appears at meal times.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I am pleased you brought that up, SWMBO has already stated that it stays in my room! The dog suggested putting it in the garden as a new 'P' pole for him????
View attachment 431905
Ignore the ghost in the background, he just appears at meal times.....
Well at least its allowed to stay in the house !
That bridge layer is even bigger than I remember.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I built that one about 20 or 25 years ago, I guess. It was good for its day, especially because … well, it’s a real eye-catcher. But I remember it not being a great kit to build. I haven’t seen anything of the Trumpeter version other than what’s in your pictures, but I’m going to guess it’ll be a better kit, though probably about the same difficulty to build if it’s of Trumpeter’s usual quality.
I also (nearly) built the Dragon model Jakko, I think 'inferior' and 'not a great kit ...' are superlatives I wouldn't apply that kit! The dustbin became it's final resting place and I thought it to be richly deserved! :poop::smiling5:
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I also (nearly) built the Dragon model Jakko, I think 'inferior' and 'not a great kit ...' are superlatives I wouldn't apply that kit! The dustbin became it's final resting place and I thought it to be richly deserved! :poop::smiling5:
I thought it was fairly typical of 1990s Dragon kits: interesting subject matter that nobody else covered, but not overly well engineered and with lots of detail and even major shapes subtly (or not so subtly :smiling3:) wrong. Mine is technically still awaiting half its coat of paint, because I wanted to spray camouflage on it but my airbrush and paint refused to cooperate at the time; maybe I should just finish it one of these days.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I thought it was fairly typical of 1990s Dragon kits: interesting subject matter that nobody else covered, but not overly well engineered and with lots of detail and even major shapes subtly (or not so subtly :smiling3:) wrong. Mine is technically still awaiting half its coat of paint, because I wanted to spray camouflage on it but my airbrush and paint refused to cooperate at the time; maybe I should just finish it one of these days.
Or just bin it ...!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Why on earth would you throw a model into the trash?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike

Hats off to you for attempting such a beast. I wouldn't even know where to start......

ATB.

Andrew

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So still working on the chassis although there is now paint on it (pics later).
But progress has been made.
20210820_135909.jpg
I added the suspension locations and made up one of the wheel hubs as a test run...
20210820_135931.jpg
This is a closer view, these can be added before priming, but I wanted to see how they actually attached and worked...
20210820_140303.jpg
The suspension rods themselves actually click onto the fittings as seen here, with the wheel hub fitting onto the outer side of the arm....
20210820_135958.jpg
Test view 1
20210820_140016.jpg
Test view 2 - they both steer and articulate up and down when fitted - and to be honest the build in this area was getting a bit busy, so went for the seperate items to be constructed later....
20210820_145500.jpg
And here are all of the suspension arms ready for priming, there are actually four different types of arm, but the instructions are very clear - but you must remember that you are constructing the suspension upside down!!!
As I said the paint is now on the whole chassis and engine, a gloss coat has been added and once totally dry then the weathering will begin in this department. So far now up to page 7 of 13 on the chassis build up....
Chers,
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
That's a very intricate way of going about things but it certainly looks good. I suppose that you'll have to glue some parts solid to prevent it being too fragile.
Jim

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is a kit and a half Mike, enjoy building it and I will enjoy watching it all come together.
Jim.