Scud B

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES IM watching too as i love complex kits like this an would build one if i had the time off from my tiger
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic detail straight out of the box. I love the way all the small assemblies build onto the whole, adding to the complexity all the time.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
That's a very intricate way of going about things but it certainly looks good. I suppose that you'll have to glue some parts solid to prevent it being too fragile.
Jim
Jim,
From the reviews it is supposed to be fairly robust, but once it is on a base it will be glue into place both the suspension and the base.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Looks like you are having fun with that mate. It is certainly a nicely detailed kit.
True, so far if I pay attention to the instructions I have managed to stay out of trouble - now the decorating of the hall and stairs I have to start next week.......

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Update,
So still working on the chassis although there is now paint on it (pics later).
But progress has been made.
View attachment 432001
I added the suspension locations and made up one of the wheel hubs as a test run...
View attachment 432002
This is a closer view, these can be added before priming, but I wanted to see how they actually attached and worked...
View attachment 432003
The suspension rods themselves actually click onto the fittings as seen here, with the wheel hub fitting onto the outer side of the arm....
View attachment 432004
Test view 1
View attachment 432005
Test view 2 - they both steer and articulate up and down when fitted - and to be honest the build in this area was getting a bit busy, so went for the seperate items to be constructed later....
View attachment 432006
And here are all of the suspension arms ready for priming, there are actually four different types of arm, but the instructions are very clear - but you must remember that you are constructing the suspension upside down!!!
As I said the paint is now on the whole chassis and engine, a gloss coat has been added and once totally dry then the weathering will begin in this department. So far now up to page 7 of 13 on the chassis build up....
Chers,
Mike.
This is what causes confusion when you have to do that. Probably why I dislike trucks from the point of building them.

Enjoy decorating the hall and stairs :tongue-out3:

Hop .

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This is what causes confusion when you have to do that. Probably why I dislike trucks from the point of building them.

Enjoy decorating the hall and stairs :tongue-out3:

Hop .
Hip hop scrape and paste....:flushed:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Few pics of the work in progress.
The colour callout for the chassis and in the little reference I could find states that the chassis is black, in fact it is all black, so your colour of choice is.......
20210823_091634.jpg
...... German Grey, with a worn out green and highlighted with a lighter grey.
20210823_091644.jpg
The air tanks have yet to be painted by the crew and are left in the Red Oxide they came in....
20210823_091659.jpg
More weathering to be done....
Meanwhile the wheels/tyres have had a coat of primer and paint...
20210823_090920.jpg
Due to be masked off and the rubber areas painted later.
Now a couple of shots of the donkey, all finished in Vallejo metallics (knew I would find a use for them) as there is no reference I can find of the engine colour unless you want - black!
20210823_090812.jpg
20210823_090829.jpg
And as yet has to be weathered.
Finally the wheel hubs front and rear....
20210823_090629.jpg
20210823_090703.jpg
Again detail painting and weathering to be carried out, with some touch up beforehand....
And that is it for today, thanks for looking in and your comments.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is definitely a lot more detailed than the Dragon kit :smiling3: Chassis is looking very good, and well-painted. Not sure how much of the engine is going to be visible, though — or does the kit have separate engine panels you can leave open?

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That is definitely a lot more detailed than the Dragon kit :smiling3: Chassis is looking very good, and well-painted. Not sure how much of the engine is going to be visible, though — or does the kit have separate engine panels you can leave open?
Apparently the whole cab tilts forward, but in seperate sides, so you can have the one side up at any time - BUT, then there is a large cover over the engine!!! So how much can be seen will be revealed when I get to stage 28 :smiling5:. I do know from watching a couple of YT videos that nothing can be seen from the sides - but you can bet that if I did not paint it......
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Non update.
Decorating has taken over so no further updates or work on Scud untill it is finished - how many doors can a house have, I am sure someone is putting in extra ones....
See you all soon.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Cracking work so far Mike, and I do mean the Scud not the doors.
I know. I'm like Quasimodo at the moment - running around the house crying "The doors, the doors why do the doors torment me so...." And my Esmarelda replies "You'll get the doors if you do not get on with it...." No sympathy in this house, even the dogs look at me as if it was me did the mess in the middle of the lawn just after she had mowed it...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Mike.......I'm now uncertain as to whether or not to follow along here.........you already have the Missus and the Dogs pissed at you and.....oh what the heck, I'm in the back by the door (doors??).....should I need to run for it!
......I'm just getting my coat.....
Rick H.
ps. Great progress so far.....see you when you return.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Non update.
Decorating has taken over so no further updates or work on Scud untill it is finished - how many doors can a house have, I am sure someone is putting in extra ones....
See you all soon.
Mike.
Mike , I've sent several, Hop and a Skip needs some doing as well I should think . Yvonne said you are in your element, so much you told her to leave you alone.
Good way to use up that Vallejo metallic.:smiling3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Well the decorating has been completed with all the drama it brings to the paste board - but enough said about it the better.
So back to the Scud, I started to assemble the suspension, only to find that when trying to add the arms to the locations the hub actually broke off....
20210915_100013.jpg
20210915_100029.jpg
The pins were just not up to the job and broke away - to be fair, there was very little to break away at all.
So the solution was to add a pin from 1mm brass rod. Holes were drilled all the way through and a rod of 13mm cut and fitted. A 'bolt head' was then punched from 20thou plastic to cover the holes and the whole lot was better.
20210915_100050.jpg
Once assembled and the arms attached the wheels were then added for a dry fit - still more to be done with steering arms, drive shafts etc.....
20210915_111934.jpg
Just to give you an idea.....
More later,
Mike.