Sculpting a 1/32 Figure in Polymer Clay from Scratch

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh, lovely!!
I do like a great SPS, especially when it's the dark arts being explained by a Wizard!
Excellent stuff Neil... I can't wait for this to develop mate, :smiling3:
Andy

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Neil,
I am definitely in mate, before I caught up on the blog I was going to ask you to do a SBS. I would love to give this ago one day and your just the man to learn from.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great start with the armatures Neil. These little points is what's needed in an sbs which we take for granted when we start off. I notice many struggle to correct at a later stage but by that time it's too late.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Before we go any further we need to talk about tools.

tools.jpg
They can be as basic or as sophisticated, as many or as few as your pocket or conscience allows. Bill Horan famously uses cocktail sticks, often shaped or whittled for one specific task. There are many tools you will already have such as a scalpel with various blades. Sewing needles are good and very cheap even if you don’t have a SWMBO who sews. I have a large selection fitted into pin vices as handles, but you can just push them into a piece of dowel, or fill the end of an old pen with Milliput and poke a needle into it. A set of bigger darning needles is very useful. I have a couple of specially designed teflon tools which I have hardly ever used, and some miniature screwdrivers that are good for flat shapes. There are some very nice stainless steel dental tools (expensive) and wax sculpting tools (cheaper but just as good). I do like these for working with Milliput because it is easy to clean the cured putty off without damaging the tool. For bigger stuff there are clay modelling tools in wood and plastic, and I even have a set of plastic cake-decorating tools which were very cheap on fleabay. I have only used one or two of the sensible shaped ones but still…

And there are the silicon rubber clay shapers, which were terribly expensive when I bought them years ago but have come down in price by now. They come in different sizes and grades of firmness, and I found them difficult to get on with when sculpting Milliput, but I am using them pretty much exclusively for the Bees Putty. Interestingly I would have expected to use mostly the small sizes, but I am actually preferring the larger sizes for most work, but we will come to that later.

As I have said before, I am very much a carver by nature, in that I usually just roughly model the Milliput, let it cure and then post-finish it with scalpel, file and wet & dry. Polymer clay requires you to be more of a modeller, getting it right from the outset, so I am out of my comfort zone with this aspect of sculpting. Especially with the surface finish, but again, we will come to that later. The advantage of polymer clay over epoxy putty like Milliput is that you have absolutely unlimited working time, you can even leave it for days and pick up where you left off, whereas with epoxy clay you only have a window of about an hour and half to two hours, and the putty is gradually getting firmer all the while. Now there are many advantages to this as well, as you can exploit the gradual firming up for different processes, but you can only work on a small area at a time. Then again that’s not necessarily a problem because it means you are less like to damage the model while working on another area. It’s very easy to squish something you’ve spent hours getting just right if you’re not careful.
And of course epoxy putty is rather nasty for the skin when you are mixing it- I always wash my hands immediately and scrub with a nail brush before I do any sculpting.

There are other epoxy putties than Milliput, such as Magicsculp, Apoxysculp, A&B putty, Duro (GreenStuff). There are some fast setting plumbers’ repair putties which I use sometimes at the armature stage, but they are bit too fast for careful work. They all work in the same way, being two components which get kneaded together in equal quantities which starts the curing process. Each have their own slightly f different properties and some people mix two different ones together for different effects.

Polymer clays such as Fimo, Sculpy and now Bees Putty don’t require mixing but they need to be baked in a domestic oven to cure them. We will find out how well they respond to sanding carving and filing…. And of course they are kinder to the skin.

Next up- anatomy
thanks for looking
Neil

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fascinating stuff so far Neil. Not something I’d ever try I think, but there might be useful things I can steal :tongue-out3:
I know I can’t draw or sculpt. I've tried both in the past with zero result, so I’ll stick with colouring in and leave this black art to the genuinely talented.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Fascinating stuff so far Neil. Not something I’d ever try I think, but there might be useful things I can steal :tongue-out3:
I know I can’t draw or sculpt. I've tried both in the past with zero result, so I’ll stick with colouring in and leave this black art to the genuinely talented.
Cheers Tim, hopefully it will inspire people to be able to do more ambitious conversions, if not full sculpts. Sometimes just substituting an arm is not quite convincing enough

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The next stage is to add the anatomy which will be evident under the clothes. It is sometimes tempting to pile straight in to the interesting bits, especially when you have a clear reference like we have, but again it’s a foundation that needs to be right in order to avoid problems later on.
With a polymer clay like Bees Putty if you just add a big lump the size of the leg the whole inner surface won’t naturally stick to the Milliput and you will end up with the leg moving around the armature as you sculpt. The putty needs to be added in small pieces abut the size of a grain of a small pea, each one firmly attached to the armature.

squish.jpg

It takes a while to do the whole figure like this but it’s worth the effort.
Bees Putty comes in four grades of firmness and I used the Dubble Firm for this stage, although I think the regular Firm would have been fine. What I like about it is that it is all exactly the same colour so that whichever grades you use for different elements your sculpt will look uniform. On the other hand it makes it tricky to remember which grade you have used if you don’t make notes….I’ve never been a note taker but I find I’m having to bolster my memory in my old age.

Once you have the figure covered you can start to represent the actual body.

first coat.jpg

I did this with a metal tool because I needed the pressure to push the putty right into the armature

metal tool.jpg

Then we work over the body with the clay shaper- rolling and dabbing the tool, rather than dragging- getting it to look something like a naked human being. I originally used the firmer clay shapers, but I find I prefer the softer more flexible ones. And curiously (but logically if you think about it) the larger soft ones are more flexible than the small ones, so that they become more like fine, precise extensions of the finger.

clay shaper.jpg

Here you can see the boots I sculpted- they were cooked separately to avoid damaging them , but the jury’s still out on them.

I’ve taken more care with the lower legs because of the puttees, but it’s not important to be a Michelangelo at this stage unless you have bare arms or legs, just as long as "all the right lumps are in all the right places", to misquote a pop song. In fact it's good to keep him on the slim side because once we start adding his clothes the putty will be a lot thicker than fabric at scale and we don’t want him to look like a Michelin Man. This is why many figures at small scales like 28mm often look unnaturally chunky.

Next we will put some trousers on him

Thanks for looking

Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think the boots look right Neil,why are you still unsure ?
Nice shape to the lower leg, why do you not add clothing at this stage, is it because of the thickness of the material used ?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Nice shape to the lower leg, why do you not add clothing at this stage, is it because of the thickness of the material used ?
Thanks John.
The boots are really quite lumpy, I was still getting to grips with the techniques required for this material.
As for not adding the clothing, it's a question of getting all the proportions right to avoid a 'cumulative error', where you get one bit slightly wrong, then the next bit slightly wrong and before you know it the whole thing gets too big, or his legs are out of proportion to his head or his trunk is too long. In fact I actually made just such a mistake, as will be seen in due course.
I was in two minds whether to mention it, but I will now, so thanks for asking - take 10 house points that man!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
It's like when you copy a picture as a kid. You start on one element and it looks just right, then you do the next bit and that looks ok and the next bit... But the whole thing together just looks wonky somehow and you can't figure out why.
Or was that just me?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I made a stupid point and deleted it, sorry

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
As promised, let’s put some trousers on him.
Or breeches, to be more precise. Once you start looking for these things you find that there seems to have been very little rigid uniformity, even in the same unit. Some men have normal uniform trousers and some have breeches - in various designs. I assume anyone whose job was to do with horses needed breeches or jodhpurs (or are they the same, I don’t think so). I imagine if you were a private and changed unit for whatever reason you would retain your original uniform .The one portrait photo I have of my Grandad in uniform has him wearing breeches, so possibly he was a driver or something at some stage.
THM.jpg
My brother thinks they just swapped the best uniforms amongst their mates for the sake of the photos, which is a possibility in Grandad’s case but doesn’t answer the original conundrum.
Although I have just noticed what I think are long-service chevrons on his right forearm, which may indicate that this was taken after the war anyway.
Anyway, back to sculpting….
To represent the normal sit of clothing we don’t need to add an actual layer of clay-it would be too thick. Looking at the image I have identified the major creases and just added small sausages of clay which I will blend into the surface of his leg with the trusty conical clay shaper.
right leg start.jpg
This has already given us the fullness of the breeches. I’ve added a little blob for the knee and some more for the creases behind it

right leg front.jpg
You can see how his leg has bulked out, even with such a small amount of clay.
Next we need to add clay to the back

right leg back.jpg

Riding breeches are designed with a lot of room in the bum for when you are sitting on your horse, with the consequence that they droop quite considerably when you’re not, so I have looked at reference pics and made sure to replicate that
breeches back view.jpg
So, on to the left leg.
I added a sausage down the side as before and a small amount to the inside leg.

trousers front.jpg

It’s basically just the same only opposite, but with creases appropriate to the position of the leg. Obviously we only have the front view of this guy, it’s always good to find pictures of similar poses from different angles. These days we also have the benefit of re-enactors so there is lots of really good quality reference material available of how most historic uniforms actually look on people.
trousers back.jpgtrousers left.jpg
Next up, the puttees