Sd.Kfz. 179 Bergepanther. Italeri 1/35

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not just Panthers. The Tiger groups valued the Bergepanthers highly as well. They were pretty much the most effective recovery vehicle available. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm with Greame, your three color is great has nice balance of colors on wheels as well. If I remember correctly the big push to get panthers ready for the Battle of Kursk
would place it in the summer months. Only thing is I don't know if they sent Bergies to Russia with the first Panthers used in combat.:thumb2:
Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: JR

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ian,

I'm with the rest of the rabble, three colour looks o.k.
From what I can gather the tanks were used in Kursk and probably in later battles in Russia.
The aim was to supply every tank division with at least two of these type of recovery vehicles
- so really it's up to you - after all it is your model :thumb2::thumb2:

Paul.
:smiling:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Ian,

Coming together nicely. Paint looks fine to me:thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm thanks chaps. To many to name so a collective thanks!
I was thinking that there could be a bit more yellow, as the green and brown have taken over a bit to much? I'ii have another look later and think it over, over a cup of coffee.
Then its a matt coat and some filters to tone it all down and bring it together a bit.

Re the Eastern front. Would all the camo patterns been the same style across the board of would a mish-mash of different camouflage been seen?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ian . My understanding is that each unit applied their own camo scheme at that point in the war. So a mish mash would be appropriate.
Rick H.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ian,
Nothing wrong with your paint. If you are not really happy you can always go over it again and reduce or enhance different colours, thin out the lines etc, remember the guys that put on the original in real life were not exactly artists. Some of the guys I have seen painting the real stuff.......
Cheers, Mike.

• Haha

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think the camo looks fine Ian. Weathering blends the colors a bit usually. The early Bergepanthers were basically turret removed, wooden decking & hatch over the hole. They were w/o winch & spade, but had the heavy duty hitch, engine/trans. hoist & ditching/push beam & mounts. These were the ones seen sometimes modified w/AAA guns later. The large winch opening, work platform, elimination of front hatches, spade, heavy winches, & 2cm. gun were later refinements. Your model is the latter, so likely after Kursk. Almost any camo scheme is acceptable as can be seen in photos as some assembly plants took care & some just used the basic color of the time or what was at hand. Many were field applied in haphazard fashion. I ramble, coffees ready. PaulE

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK. I had a think. Hit the paint and now I'm drinking the coffee!
Not a great difference but I think the balance is better. 331395
Not much changed, just a couple of yellow patches/stripes. Also have sprayed over the camo on the inside of the "deck fences"
Also 'tidied' the rear deck a bit and reduced some serious overspray.
I'll most likely matt coat it tomorrow, maybe even paint the winch compartment floors.
Right lets be hearing it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Spent a bit of time dodging the wind and rain yesterday. Got most of the tools and bits nailed on and after much agro got those rubber band tracks sort of on the way I wanted them.
Now for a swipe of paint where the tool holders/brackets need colour matching to the hull !
Any one know if these things had an antenna? I think I found the base do da on the engine deck behind the winch house....

As you might see I have given the whole thing a wash/filter. Worked OK if I say so myself...
The rather bright shinny bits are not near as bright as they look. Next up. Weather.....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Ian

Sorry tad late, very impressive and great paint job!!

Bob

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Any one know if these things had an antenna? I think I found the base do da on the engine deck behind the winch house....
The normal Panther had it mounted on the engine deck, on the very left directly above the last roadwheel. The Bergepanther drawings in Spielberger’s Der Panzerkampfwagen Panther und seine Abarten show an antenna there as well.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ian, stand away and put that ab down that camo looks great, nice soft edge, much prefer to mine that I did, it was too hard.
Wooden sides thickness looks spot on, some nice details in the driving pit .
John.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I agree, camo is cool. Radio comms were important as they were in great demand & ended up far flung. PaulE

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps. I will find a suitable cats whisker, failing that I might have a guitar string somewhere I can snip a bit off and make an antenna from.
Only thing the airbrush will be used for now on this is for spraying pigment for mud and muck. So no worries there Sir.
Off to have a hunt for jerrycans and oil drums and other clutter for the deck. And try to find and fix the chains on the fold down sides!
But first lunch.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes can't work on empty .:smiling3: Loads of clutter, we carried everything in the back of our Scammell, could never find anything :surprised:
John .