Sd.Kfz 232 info

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm reading a book about 12.SS.Pz.Div in Normandy and it says they used Sd.Kfz 232 for recon (as well as Sd.Kfz 250/9). Upon looking on scalemates all the kits seem to be either desert kits or early war (1940ish). So would these have still been used in 1944?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Alan,

Yes, they were still used up to the end of the war. Many early war vehicles were used up to the end. Lots of photos prove this fact. Look at the battle of Berlin and you will see StuGs built in 1941 still in use. Pz I's, modified to carry a 75mm PaK 40, still in use along with many others. A lot of vehicles were sent to repair points and factories in Germany to be fixed or refurbished. This could sometimes take up to a year for the work to be done. It's the same with trucks and half tracks. if it could fixed and move, it was used.

Prost
Allen

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
At least 1 x 232 (8-rad) served in Italy until Sept 1944, then transferred to western front ( 15th panzergrenadier division ) ( Osprey Vanguard 029 - German Armoured Cars and Reconnaissance Halftracks.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just to be sure, Alan, are you talking about the six- or eight-wheeled Sd.Kfz. 232?* I would be surprised to see the former after the early years of the war, and though the latter would be rare, it wouldn’t be that strange for some to make it to 1945.

* The Sd.Kfz. (Sonderkraftfahrzeug) designator indicates not a specific model of vehicle, but a vehicle type, in this case a “heavy armoured reconnaissance car (radio)”. For some Sd.Kfz. designations, multiple models of vehicle were used.