Sd kfz 234/2 Puma

• Thread starter scorched_earth_policy
  • Start date
S

scorched_earth_policy

Hello fellow tankers! :smiling3: I've just joined, having not built for years! I have started modifying a 1/35 Italeri Puma for my first diorama/scratch build.

Thing is, I want the Puma to be 'mid-turn', and the wheels are static 'dead-ahead' in the kit. I have modded the hubs to set the rear wheels at a turn.

I've seen some photos online which show a relationship between the last and second-to-last wheels similar to this:

View attachment 118319

The last wheel seems to be at a more acute angle than the next, But how did the Puma steering work? ie, what angle would the matching pair of wheels be to the body? The same as those I've already set? Or different?

Wordy first post - sorry! :oops:

99D1D890-3EAF-4597-ADF2-0772864F47CB_zpsim6zupya.jpg

Last edited:
D

dougie

Hi, can't see the picture but welcome to the forum, hopefully someone can help with what you are looking for. This is an excellent friendly forum and is well worth sticking with!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I think the geometry of the steering is about right........When you have double axle steering the forward wheel is going to turn mare acutely and travel further....... Hope that helps.

There is probably a mathematical formula that someone far cleverer than me can work out the angles and travel......:confused:

S

scorched_earth_policy

That's great, Mr Lousyphotos ;) Do you think the wheels on the other side would be similar to this side? I know steering geometry is a tricksy beast, and it doesn't have to be perfect - but I just want the vehicle to look 'right' :confused:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I would say the angle on both sides should be the same any difference in traction or slip would be compensated by the diff in the transmission.

S

scorched_earth_policy

If the wheels look a bit iffy, it's because they aren't actually glued yet! :P

I had planned to wreck the Puma, so a couple of them were going to be flat, but now I'm not sure whether to or not :confused:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Nah........Don`t trash it....... Looks too good......... A bit of weathering and general `squaddie` type wear and tear maybe:smiling3:

S

scorched_earth_policy

Thanks for the kind comments, peeps.. so, any suggestions for a setting?

So far, I was thinking an Eastern front setting, with some mud and water and gunk, the kind that really did for Barbarossa!

In turning the rear wheels, I guess I could have a parked up recce position? Or possibly a rear-facing turret defensive position?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Good start :smiling3:

This model looks good in a winter camo :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
If the wheels look a bit iffy, it's because they aren't actually glued yet! :P
I had planned to wreck the Puma, so a couple of them were going to be flat, but now I'm not sure whether to or not :confused:
Don't you DARE!o_O

S

scorched_earth_policy

\ said:
Good start :smiling3:
This model looks good in a winter camo :smiling3:
Cheers Alan. I've never done a winter camo, water or mud before, so I'll be in at the deep end!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Cheers Alan. I've never done a winter camo, water or mud before, so I'll be in at the deep end!
Winter camo is quite easy , just paint the model in the colour it should be then give it a week coat of white but not a wash so you can faintly see the paint underneath then use a dry brush of white in some areas so it look patchy

This is one I did and it was only my second attempt

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/out-of-fuel-and-out-of-ammo-the-ardennes-1945.31813/