Sd kfz 234/2 Puma

• Thread starter scorched_earth_policy
  • Start date
L

liberator61

Im sure Ive read somewhere that the puma was all four axle steering.

S

scorched_earth_policy

Yes, all four axles were steerable - but the sd kfz 234 had front and rear driving positions, so it was easy to about-turn in times of trouble!

So I believe that each pair of axles would steer from it's relative driving position? I could be wrong though...

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yes, all four axles were steerable - but the sd kfz 234 had front and rear driving positions, so it was easy to about-turn in times of trouble!
So I believe that each pair of axles would steer from it's relative driving position? I could be wrong though...
This is what I've understood it to be like , the 232 was also the same :smiling3:

S

scorched_earth_policy

Some small bits of work done today. Think I should have this moved to 'Armour - in progress'...

Drilled the engine access hatches for new bolts:

View attachment 118648

Added finger holes on side bins, removed a padlock and cut and bent some of the stowage doors for a more 'lived-in' look:

View attachment 118649

Drilled the front bumper for a central bolt:

View attachment 118650

6C2A6BBC-82D6-4DB6-94A7-BCE532FF297C_zpsdchymvgr.jpg

216F5E02-87CB-4901-B3A7-7EF77DA14DDD_zpszxkgkfmx.jpg

ABE647B2-B533-45A4-B2C3-CD5220EDA625_zpshjcp9j1h.jpg

S

scorched_earth_policy

Hull aerials... from digging about on the interweb, I can see a hull aerial fitted to the rear of NS skirt.

I'll have to scratch build it, but don't know the design or dimension...does anyone have a clear photo or a site I can get some more info from?

S

scorched_earth_policy

\ said:
Just had a look on the interweb kris and found this , I also looked at real photos and this is correct :smiling3: View attachment 130659
Cheers Alan, that's the one! Any idea what the protective box at the base of the aerial looks like?

S

scorched_earth_policy

\ said:
Very nice work so far
Thanks very much! :D Not as quick a build as I'd like, all my old model kit and reference books are in the attic, and I can't get to them, as I have a broken foot!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thanks very much! :D Not as quick a build as I'd like, all my old model kit and reference books are in the attic, and I can't get to them, as I have a broken foot!
Not to worry Kris just hop to it

L

liberator61

I was looking thru some puma pictures and this is the clearist picture of the aerial I could find,thats if I can View attachment 119002

work out how to post a photo ?Puma18.jpg

S

scorched_earth_policy

Thanks for the pics, Liberator, here's my efforts so far...well, just the card trial-fit, as I haven't uploaded the plastic version pics! Dummy!

View attachment 119096

View attachment 119097

The size is about right, as the box was attached using two straps - I'm guessing these were then attached to the bulkhead using the engine cover bolts?? The box itself seems to have been an effort to protect the aerial base from damage.

I've had to use a bit of imagination in my version :smiling3: I'll mount it so that it sits up on the upper hull, rather than on the skirt, as in the photo

0A922CD3-39F1-48D0-B3BA-93C0AAA22536_zps5fvhgbjv.jpg

3DB41F9C-E3C7-480B-9CCF-0673E99E3E1D_zpsnb5ub4jj.jpg

234's had all wheel steering. the rear wheels would mirror the front wheels with the two endmost axles having twice the 'turn' of the middle two.

Imagine a large curve (the edge of a round table for example) all the wheels on each side would align with the tables' arc.

Tom