Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track, post-war

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My interest in vehicles used in my particular part of the world is probably fairly well-known here by now :smiling3: So, when I came across this picture while doing research for my book that was published last year, I thought it would make a very interesting model:

1019px-Het_zwaarbeschadigde_stadhuis_van_Middelburg_na_de_slag_om_de_Scheldemonding%2C_Bestanddeelnr_900-2053.jpg
(Anefo, via Wikimedia Commons)

This is on Markt square in the town of Middelburg, very recognisable by its 15th-century town hall, which was being restored even during the war following the city fire of 17 May 1940 in which it burned out completely.

Here’s what this area looks like today — that link takes you to as close as you can get on Google Streetview to the spot where the above photo was taken. However, the 1990s-built flower stall is in the way a bit for seeing the town hall and the half-track’s location.

Another picture in which the same Sd.Kfz. 7 appears, is this one, taken from slightly more to the right (=east):

1019px-Het_zwaarbeschadigde_stadhuis_van_Middelburg_na_de_slag_om_de_Scheldemonding%2C_Bestanddeelnr_900-2054.jpg

(Anefo via Wikimedia Commons)

The vehicle is a late-model Mittlerer Zugkraftwagen 8 to. Sd.Kfz. 7, “Medium Tractor, 8-tonne”. The late version of this differed from the early one by having a wooden lorry-type load bed rather than two rows of forward-facing benches; there were an ammunition stowage box and foreward/rear, back-to-back benches in the load bed. However, these have been removed from the vehicle in the photo, as have the engine compartment covers, windscreen, tilt hoops, front tyres and even the outer row of roadwheels. I’m not sure, but I think the cylinder head has also been taken off the engine, as have various other bits in the engine compartment, and of course everything that was loose, is gone.

Model-wise, you can pick Dragon or Trumpeter to build this vehicle, but I bought the former:

108561-10244-pristine.jpg

I’m not an expert on these vehicles, but a little reading makes me believe the Dragon kit is a little more accurate, if probably trickier to build.

Here is what you get inside the box:

2027EF82-88C1-4182-85D7-2B46EBB10FC1.jpeg57D9AD78-78E8-43F0-BC9B-477FBAEE7AEB.jpegFFCF265C-001A-4BC7-AF1B-702279F2CCBC.jpeg1FE67B0A-1EAA-483E-8700-EAB866364CAA.jpeg7B0F37BC-2F7B-45B2-A39C-418D5668A223.jpeg5654A0DA-80CE-4D3E-9C8F-EB69FE6FFC63.jpeg0C5AD3DE-8D0B-4AFE-8754-A4774592923D.jpeg

Much of this is superfluous anyway, being parts for other Sd.Kfz. 7 variants, and I can discard a good deal more bits on top of that in order to build it as per the photo :smiling3: I also got this replacement grill from Panzer Art:

843C3A4E-335A-41C0-88B9-280C68E7A726.jpeg

The main advantage is having open louvres, which might be tricky to achieve with the Dragon part that has them moulded with a flat plate behind them.

Now to study how best to start building this …

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
I enjoy your 'real vehicle' builds. I'm again impressed with your ability to interpret these old photos. As you say there will be a lot of bits for the spares box.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should be good. Your builds are usually so well researched I always learn something. Is that another half track in the line up behind it?

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks interesting Jakko count me in too seated in the front with the others

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting idea Jakko!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I enjoy your 'real vehicle' builds. I'm again impressed with your ability to interpret these old photos.
Glad to read that :smiling3: I put the first picture into my book, and therefore looked closely at it for quite a bit so I could caption it correctly. I’m sure I will spot more things I hadn’t noticed when I actually build the model, though …

I did notice, by the way, that the same woman appears to be in both photos: walking to the left in the first one, to the right in the second. I’m now a little tempted to build a model of her as well to pose next to the vehicle.

As you say there will be a lot of bits for the spares box.
Even the bits “blued out” as not-for-use on the instructions are the majority of those on sprues D (the one with the engine) and G (the armoured cab). I kind of wonder if they couldn’t have found room for the parts of those that are needed on the sprue with the new load bed …

Your builds are usually so well researched I always learn something.
I try to aim for accuracy. I often miss in minor ways, but I try not to :smiling3:

Is that another half track in the line up behind it?
Indeed, there is another Sd.Kfz. 7, but that one at least still has its front tyres and windscreen. Alongside it are a Wehrmacht bus of a type I couldn’t determine (but softskins are not my forté) and a couple of horse-drawn wagons. Behind those wagons is a lorry with what looks like German camouflage and a box body, but again, I couldn’t work out the type :sad: If you want to see a higher-resolution version for a closer look, by the way, follow the link to Wikimedia Commons that’s with the photo.

Ans thanks to all the others who commented to far too :smiling3:

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks all, I do hope it will be interesting :smiling3:

I realise I drove through that very square nearly 40 years ago on my way to Arnhem having camped at Vlissingen the night before.
Did you visit Middelburg as well, then? Because until the mid-90s you could park your car on Markt square, but even then it was not on any direct routes that would take you from one side of town to the other. (Today, you can’t get there by car at all, unless you have a very good reason to.) In any case I would recommend Middelburg over Vlissingen any time as a place to visit and walk around in :smiling3:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Thanks all, I do hope it will be interesting :smiling3:

Did you visit Middelburg as well, then? Because until the mid-90s you could park your car on Markt square, but even then it was not on any direct routes that would take you from one side of town to the other. (Today, you can’t get there by car at all, unless you have a very good reason to.) In any case I would recommend Middelburg over Vlissingen any time as a place to visit and walk around in :smiling3:

It was in '84, 40th Anniversary Commemorations. Me and a mate in a Jeep & a CCKW 352 as part of a massive group. I'm pretty sure we went through the town. We stopped everywhere & probably went the longest possible route. We even drove up the same hill twice ( a 15 mile detour) as the Dutch guy who was leading the convoy was "very proud of the hill". The guy with the Diamond T + tank transporter + Sherman wasn't that impressed....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah, yes, that would do it :smiling3: Since you started in Vlissingen, did you take the Olau ferry from Sheerness?

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Ah, yes, that would do it :smiling3: Since you started in Vlissingen, did you take the Olau ferry from Sheerness?
No, we drove up from Dover. Ended up on the ferry with a big NATO exercise heading for Germany. Much to the amusement of the soldiers. The GMC & Jeep looked tiny jammed in with all the modern kit. On the upside, we avoided customs and convoyed out of Calais with the army, then dived down a side road to Belgium. Even better was that Dutch TV filmed us coming off the ferry and used it in their rdport on the NATO exercise ! Happy days..... You can have your thread back now, Jakko. Sorry x

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
OK, if you insist … :smiling3:

After cleaning up the chassis, I began construction with the engine block and transmission. I soon noticed a major mistake in Dragon’s instructions: they would have you fit the transmission like this:

243C7E91-D080-4690-BF1B-C82520F1AA10.jpeg

But doing that would entirely prevent the fuel tank from being installed, and probably the cab as well. The problem is that the drawing shows the transmission being installed from above, when it should go in from underneath and sit like this:

16320DDC-A725-4B9B-8562-32543702C2CF.jpeg

Because the real vehicle was missing its front tyres, I need to adjust its suspension. Thinking about it, I figure the front spring would probably be at its normal extension (more or less) because little weight has been removed from the vehicle, but most of the tracked suspension would be compressed because the front end now sits lower to the ground. So, I assembled the front axle and its stays as per the instructions:

45C48A86-0D26-409F-8F00-BBB4954DEC42.jpeg

You can also see the rear suspension arms here, which will need to be modified to be compressed, but I’m still trying to work out how. Each of the three arms on a side will have a Y-shaped piece on it, one axle of it going into the arm and the other two having wheels on them. Because the two front arms are moulded as one piece with their mountings, I’ll need to cut them free somehow, and then try to line up everything so all wheels end up on the ground. Not sure yet how to best do that, though.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Jakko, late as always, I'm joining the audience, entering softly and trying to get unnoticed (I fear someone would trip me to get my popcorns :tongue-out3: ).
Great research job and attention to details as usual; ready to learn something.
Andrea

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I didn't pipe up but I snuck in here just before Andy. Honest ! looking forward to this build Jakko , it's next up in my queue at the workbench. Already grateful for the heads-up on that transmission placement ! Good to know !