Sea Diorama Techniques

First Name
Gary
I was asked if I was doing a dio for my USS North Carolina. Like weathering on tanks and even aircraft I don't feel comfortable with doing it. Then I had a thought that it might be worth a try. But looking at YouTube has given me about 10 different ways from polyfilla on board through foils and PVA glue to polystyrene and tissue paper. All looked good but of course being done by practised modellers. Opeing a Pandora's box I know but what are the simplest techniques to create a seascape ?

Thinking something narrow A4 sized or less as I want something I can put on a narrow shelf. Pointers to YouTube videos is fine but as I say i've looked at a few and I'm not sure what would be suitable for a beginner. I will have the option of course to mount the ship on a stand or waterline

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
In your situation I would make a small test piece and try different methods on it, no harm done and you'll get an instant idea what works best for you and what not :thumb2:
Steven

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Salad Dodger here!

Garry, Steven's post is spot on - practice!

I don't go on youtube, simply because when it is mentioned here on scale models, there are too many different methods to read to attain what is required. Confusion will reign! In any case, most are long winded and quite unnecessary. Just like some methods of painting armour and aircraft.

Keep it simple...

Basically, I use any water based powder such as polyfilla, applied to the base to form the sea. then paint it whatever colour you choose. Always seal the various 'Layers' with watered down PVA.

To get a good idea for forming your sea, go on Google Images.

Ralph on here does some great seas, I'm sure he will be along with his most excellent method.

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Gary.
For the sea I use a piece of mdf then I put plastic card on top of this
I then cut the shape of the hull out of the plastic card leaving a recess.I then put the cut out pieces back in place then put a layer of wall filler over the whole base form the waves and then remove the pieces I originally cut out.This leaves a recess for the ship.Once the filler has dried I spray paint the sea and when the model is finished I simply glue the ship in place.I then use teased out cotton wool for the wake.
All the best.
Ralph.
114683-65bfa73b9cff554b6122f2755401bdc5.jpg114684-9a0ebf11d51e5aa93f3578f72edf922f.jpg114787-8c3197e9af5eff1cc429f71f41653d47.jpgDSCF5918.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Gary.
For the sea I use a piece of mdf then I put plastic card on top of this
I then cut the shape of the hull out of the plastic card leaving a recess.I then put the cut out pieces back in place then put a layer of wall filler over the whole base form the waves and then remove the pieces I originally cut out.This leaves a recess for the ship.Once the filler has dried I spray paint the sea and when the model is finished I simply glue the ship in place.I then use teased out cotton wool for the wake.
All the best.
Ralph.
View attachment 374705View attachment 374704View attachment 374706View attachment 374707
HI Ralph could you do your pics full size please as they are very small even when I click on them as I may do a seascape dio in the future with a aircraft super carrier an it would be nice to see how you have done it to help me on mine
thanks chris

First Name
Gary
Thats sound's straight forward enough to have a practice with, Ralph. Some strange methods on YouTube but then again if it works for them then fair enough. But I like the polyfilla and mdf idea. Thanks people

D

Deleted member 4539

Please look at this thread it should show the first three pics better.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
Not done many but this is simple and fairly effective.
  • Cut a piece of MDF or similar to size, prime it and position ship(s) and draw around them.
  • Paint with sea colour. Think of where in the world you are setting your dio. Atlantic, Med, Pacific etc. As Ron said Google images. I find painting the swell diagonally works best. You're only after colour not texture.
  • Cover base with Liquitex Gloss Gel (other makes are available). You need to cover just inside the lines where the ship will be. Place ship - the gel will hold it to the base. Texture the gel like waves, wake, bow wave etc. Leave to dry.
  • Use white/very,very light grey to paint in wave peaks, wake etc.
  • Brush paint whole base with acrylic matt varnish. The gloss gel looks to glossy as it is.

This is a Toon ship for a recent GB which shows the result.
P1050793.JPG

I am not a ship builder like Ron and Ralph but this method is simple.
Jim