Sea Foam

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:flushed::surprised::surprised::surprised::tongue-out3::smiling::smiling: Like it Steve .
Never seen any figures like that offered!
John.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi fellow gardeners, Si Jim and John very good looking growts you've got.:smiling:
Those sunflowers look very impressive Si, nice work.:thumb2:

As for me, the temps have kick started a couple so I might put them in a bigger pot sooner then the rest:
7-8-2018.jpg
Need to keep taps on the moistness of the soil these days, as it is very dry now and some smaller ones have dried out...
Slowly and steadily they are turning out fine .:smiling:

ps. Nice one Steve.:thumb2::smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando .
It would be a good thing to do that, I don't know how much gardening like this you have done, and I don't want to teach you to suck eggs .
If you can get some garden soil. and mix in in with some of that compost. The soil should be a bit gritty for drainage.
Put a small penknife, pencil or something thin in to the soil next to the those larger seedlings. About 25mm away from the seedling .Ease the tools back and lift up the seedling, it should lift out with soil around its roots. Have your pot ready filled up to about 30mm from the the top. Make a hole with the tool, and place the seedling in. Firming some more mix of soil up to the seedling gently, apply some water with the dropper, and leave over night .The next day the pot needs to have a saucer, now this is where you will water , just pour some water into the saucer, let it be drawn up before you give it anymore.
Keep turning the plants watering in to the saucer when dry on top.
If like mine did , and your suffer from a really hot day and they wilt right over, give them a drink from the top , wet the soil and pour about 1/4 of a cup into the pot. Then leave alone, empty the saucer when the water has drained through, and carry on as normal .
KEEP CALM GARDENERS AT ALL TIMES.
Ivan Thrower

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Thank you very much for the tips John, will give them a bigger pot later in the week, as today is too hot (30C) to work in the shed where the next sized pots and compost are stored.:thumb2:

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another tip, if I may - when you're lifting them, hold them by the leaves, not the stem. Preferably the seed leaves, the first ones that formed. Reason is that the plant can grow new leaves if damaged, but not the stem.

Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good afternoon Gardening Group :smiling2:
Here at Short Meadows I thought it was time for an up date .
Plants are progressing well, supprising how much then can differ when sown at the same time. Of course it depends on the germination rate .

An early one below, already has the pink tips to the leaves as it matures, note the flower heads , very small but when we harvest those will be little black seeds, and there will be thousands .IMG_20180818_125442.jpg
Talkingvof seeds, I've noticed several plants have come up in the oddest places. Several in the greenhouse and one out side. No doubt the seed has been lying in the soil for some time and this dry spell has set them off .
You may want to stick your plants when they start to bend over. The heads easily tangle with their neighbors, and can be hard to remove with out damaging.
IMG_20180818_125418.jpg
Another photo, shows the amount of growth .
As the plants mature I will show the methods of treatment. Anyone with embalming experience will of course be familiar with the process ! :surprised::smiling2:
Percy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Percy
Glad you posted that as it has reassured me. Mine have grown like mad and seem to want to grab hold of each other in the most tangled up way. I have little black seeds - thought something was wrong!!
P1050514.JPG
P1050513.JPG
Your green fingered friend :hungry:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim .
Splendid news, congratulations ! .
Shows things are going in the right direction. Don't let them get too tangled, as when we lift them ready for the embalming :smiling: we need to have them well separated .
I see what you did there. I'm sure Monty would approve.
Colin... Glad someone picked it up . :smiling2::smiling2:
Percy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'll be watching the embalming process as we have some plants here that may be possible mini plants if preserved well.

Keep 'em growing Gardeners. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Think Mine will be next years compost! Just took a good look and I see that they have been infested with some sort of aphid and looking very sorry for themselves!
Not to worry, got plenty of seeds still for another go next year....or better still I’ll take some out to Spain with me in September and get Mum and Dad to have a go....should be a good climate for them!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si .
Oh no ! Give them a spray, I would.You have done so well with them up to now. Some of mine are looking a bit fed up.and one has appeared to have given up. Still have about 10 good plants.
The odd thing today whilst doing some thinning out I found this.
_MG_3495.JPG
growing away in a flower bed. have another in a large outdoor pot. Can only think the seed has been lying there for a couple of years. Its had nothing in the way of care. Going to leave it just to see the outcome.
Percy.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening from Short Meadows.
Today had a check on the seagrass. Most of the plants have finished flowering, now before anyone asks the flowers are green and don't really show, as Jim knows they turn into the black seed soon after the plants begine to go a shade of red.

The plants becomes quite sticky and tends to get a little tangled up .They can be easily and gently pull apart.
The first photo shows the red /pink on the plant,,,, the last photo the plant is slightly older and the pink has gone. This plant will soon be ready for the Glycerine treatment.
The method I use will be posted this week, oh and by the way it works on all subjects, includings roots.

_MG_3558.JPG_MG_3562.JPG

Percy

Attachments

• _MG_3557.JPG
    _MG_3557.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 6

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Is John Digwell harvesting the seeds for next years crop??

Paul.
:smiling2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim,

I have glycerine from the pharmacy...would it work the same as vegeteable glycerine? First time I've heard that there are variants.

Cheers,
Richard