Sea Vixen FAW.1 - 1:72 Cyber-Hobby

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, any space for a late comer. I want to make it clear that this model choice is your fauilt. I was in Modelzone on Saturday with no intention of buying a kit, and then this one screamed out at me to buy it after seeing your postings.

View attachment 52126

To be honest I did start the Xtrakit Sea Vixen some time ago before joining the forum, but it was such a bad fit I gave up on it.

Oddly enough I was in WH Smith the same day and saw the the current issue of 'Model Airplane International' which features this kit. It gives it a bit of a mixed review. The website modellingmadness and cybermodeler both give it a good review.

Will open a thread in a day or two with some sprue shots.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 54682

K1.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No problems from this Ian either Derek. As Ian said, (I can see this can get confusing) still plenty of time left.

No need to start a new thread, you just carry on in this one Derek, it's in the right place and it is started. I look forward to the sprue shots. I have read that this is a good little kit. I to trust modellingmadness as they are not in any manufactures pocket and buy 99% of the review kits themselves.

I could be tempted to do a FAW 1 as well so it will be nice to see one before I splash out on a conversion for the Airfix one.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Here are the sprue shots as promised. First impressions are that of a fairly empty box, having said that I was surprised how big the box was for a 1:72 when I bought it.

View attachment 52152

Kit comprises of 4-Plastic Sprues and 1-Clear; instructions are on 1-folded sheet, decals are by Cartograph, here are the sprue shots, notice the tail boom is a single moulding with just an infill panel at the fin. The whole kit has nice recessed panel lines and rivets.

View attachment 52153View attachment 52154View attachment 52155View attachment 52156View attachment 52157View attachment 52158View attachment 52159View attachment 52160View attachment 52161View attachment 52162View attachment 52163

This will be an out of OOB build. Kit includes folded wing options.

On a more serious note, it is not generally known that this aircraft had a bad record of reliability. At the 1952 Farnborough airshow, the DH110 prototype broke up in mid-air killing the crew and 29 spectators, a faulty leading edge design was at fauilt, the wings fell off, then the engines which ploughed into the spectators causing the most fatalities. Of the 145 Sea Vixens built there were 38% lossed and a 54% crew mortality.

Derek

View attachment 54708

View attachment 54709

View attachment 54710

View attachment 54711

View attachment 54712

View attachment 54713

View attachment 54714

View attachment 54715

View attachment 54716

View attachment 54717

View attachment 54718

View attachment 54719

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

K6.jpg

K7.jpg

K8.jpg

K9.jpg

K10.jpg

K11.jpg

K12.jpg

K13.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks like a nice little kit.

Dont forget to fill the nose cone with lead.!!!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice kit Derek, you cant have too many Vixens! I was reading a book a while ago about the British aircraft industry just after the war (empire of the clouds) and the Sea Vixen accident was recounted, very nasty business. As you say, not the best safety record but a very charismatic machine nonetheless, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I didn't realise the Vixen was that bad. These things used to fly over me frequently when I was on holiday in Barmouth. They were involved in some sort of research (drones I think) back in those days and painted some brilliant colour schemes.

T

treyzx10r

FSM did a review of this kit a few issues ago and gave it good marks. The article makes note of a few mislabeled parts,namely wheel wells should read 'B3(B4)'. The review also noted adding shims between A16 & A5 to make them flush.The article is in the may issue if you want to give it a look on line.Looking forward to seeing this build,cheers Trey

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments Lads. Thanks Trey, the kit is also 'built' in the October Issue of the 'Model Airplane International', being a sceptical sod, I always treat these magazine builds with some reservation, as I have made models that magazines have built, and wonder if it is the same kit.

Not much to report really at the moment, been cutting parts off the sprues and dressing up, must say flash is virtually none existent. Inside the intakes had some very shallow ejector pin marks which were easy to remove. The dry fitting that I have done looks very good.

One disappointment is the cockpit instrument panels, having seen these I have invested in the Eduard cockpit interior kit, see below. Derek

View attachment 52482View attachment 52483View attachment 52484

View attachment 55023

View attachment 55024

View attachment 55025

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

C

Caledonia

Painted the air intakes before assembly.

View attachment 54050

A couple of shots of the cockpit using the Eduard photoetch, they are supposed to be self adhesive; apart from the larger panels which were semi-self adhesive, the rest were not. Had to use C.A. on a cocktail stick to fix them.

View attachment 54046View attachment 54047

A couple of shots of the ejector seats; removed the embossed harnesses before adding the Photoetch.

View attachment 54048View attachment 54049

Finally a couple of shots of the fuselage showing the cockpit, air intakes, exhaust and undercarriage bays added. Its important to fit each of these seperately and glue them to the bottom half of the fuselage only, then dry fit the top half to ensure the are in the correct position before the glue sets. I removed the locating tabs on the air intakes to have a snugger fit. The top half of the fuselage has not been glued yet

View attachment 54051View attachment 54052

The kit is lacking in any painting instructions for small parts such as ejector seats, weapons etc. The kit has some excellent fits, but for the price is disappointing. Cheers Derek

View attachment 56290

View attachment 56291

View attachment 56292

View attachment 56293

View attachment 56294

View attachment 56295

View attachment 56296

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B4a.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking good derek.The Edaurd cockpit sets are a huge improvement on most kit parts.Ive got some for the 1/48 Lancaster and B24D in my stash.Ive looked at them and as you say,they are not very sticky.Perhaps 'self adhesive ' means youhave to glue them yourself?!.Mind you,they look the business.No way could i make the kit parts look anything like as good.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks pretty good to me. ¨

I was going to SK ask about the self adhesive PE but I think that's a bit redundent now. lol

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Thanks Lads, I like your definition of 'self adhesive' Dave you are bang on the button.

The tail boom fitted well; after a dry fit I was confident enough to fix one of the booms then the taileron and then the the second boom.

View attachment 54499View attachment 54500

In the photo below, I filled in the rectangular hole at the right of the picture as it was for a fuel dumping nozzle, which I understand was not fitted to the FAW1.

View attachment 54501

A general shot showing the air intakes etc.

View attachment 54502

And finaly a few shots prior to priming and painting.

View attachment 54503View attachment 54504View attachment 54505View attachment 54506

You will see that I have chosen to close the airbrakes, arrestor hook etc., this is because there are no bays inside, only gaping holes which is a pitty as the underside of the airbrakes etc are well detailed. Part 'C18' I understand are cameras which were only fitted to research aircraft so have left then off. There are a few parts on the instructions which are numbered wrongly, but the error is so obvious it would not be a problem for anyone to correct.

The sprues contain a refuelling probe which was not fitted to the FAW 1, so looks as if an FAW 2 is on the cards for this kit

When I built my Royal Navy Phantom a couple of years ago I used the instructions - Extra Dark Sea Grey, which I felt after was too dark, so this time I am going to use Dark Sea Grey instead. Cheers Derek

View attachment 56713

View attachment 56714

View attachment 56715

View attachment 56716

View attachment 56717

View attachment 56718

View attachment 56719

View attachment 56720

B10.jpg

B11.jpg

B12.jpg

B13.jpg

B14.jpg

B15.jpg

B16.jpg

B17.jpg

C

Caledonia

Primed the gray areas with Tamiya Light Gray Fine Surface Primer aerosol, them applied Mr Hobby H305 semi-gloss gray FS36118. After masking off the gray areas, primed the white areas with Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer aerosol, then applied Mr Hobby H1 Gloss White. Since these paints are semi-gloss and gloss I will decal directly onto them. Will finish model in a satin finish later. Cheers Derek

View attachment 54602View attachment 54603View attachment 54604View attachment 54605View attachment 54606View attachment 54607

View attachment 56805

View attachment 56806

View attachment 56807

View attachment 56808

View attachment 56809

View attachment 56810

B18.jpg

B19.jpg

B20.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B23.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking very sharp derek , cant wait to see it decalled , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments chaps. Looking at old photos I took in the late 1960's, the roundels under the wing look too larger, so I have used the smaller ones from the Xtrakit Sea Vixen which I abandoned several years ago.

View attachment 54778

A final shot for this posting; all decals are on and the model coated with Pro-modeller Black. Still to paint a few small items and fit the wing support stays, for which there are no indication of location.

View attachment 54783

Will post the finished photos shortly.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 56976

View attachment 56977

View attachment 56981

DSCN3833.jpg

B24.jpg

B25.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on nicely derek , i reckon youre right about the roundels being too large , the kit ones would have been overlapping the ailerons , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Coming on nicely derek , i reckon youre right about the roundels being too large , the kit ones would have been overlapping the ailerons , cheers tony
Thanks Tony, I forgot to mention the underwing black lettering was supplied with the 'XJ' in a single sheet, and all the numbers were individual so you had to line them up. These numbers and the red boxes on top o the fuselage were supplied not as sheets but as lines, which made things a bit tricky. Cheers Derek