Seaweed for my Frozen Shore Chariot

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OK, I've been wrestling with this for some time. Still not sure whether or not it's finished - I'm certainly losing patience with it. It comes pre-assembled, so getting the brush into all those nooks and crannies is an absolute nightmare. And it comes as a set of two identical miniatures, so I've got another one to paint after this :flushed:.

At this stage I'd like to hammer home the message that it's on a Frozen Shore by adding some clumps of seaweed. If anyone has any good ideas for how to achieve that, do please say so!

20220201_115616.jpg20220201_115626.jpg20220201_115710.jpg20220201_122400.jpg

Attachments

• 20220201_121139.jpg
    20220201_121139.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi
Nice scene.

some types of lichen can look like seaweed, also conical rivets make good limpets, if you cannot get hold of rivets, small lumps of putty would work. Putty could also be used for other shellfish ic crevices, such as muscles.

here is a photo of some lichen seaweed and rivet limpets.

Peter

A8A7CC5A-F3AC-4217-8BDE-D7DE8FF14CD0.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s pretty cool Paul. Doggies in particular look excellent :thumb2: Can’t help with the seaweed though, never had to make any…..Peter’s advice is sound though, and looking at pictures of the sort of scene you envisage should give you ideas.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi
Nice scene.

some types of lichen can look like seaweed, also conical rivets make good limpets, if you cannot get hold of rivets, small lumps of putty would work. Putty could also be used for other shellfish ic crevices, such as muscles.

here is a photo of some lichen seaweed and rivet limpets.

Peter

View attachment 444311
That's really helpful, Peter, thank you so much. I made the starfish out of Milliput, and that was very fiddly, but I'll see if I have any nails with limpet-shaped heads. Your underwater seaweed looks excellent, but I'm after big blackened clumps of it on the shore. There's probably a suitable scatter material out there that'll work, but with nowhere in town to browse these materials, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. On-line images often don't help very much, I find.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That’s pretty cool Paul. Doggies in particular look excellent :thumb2: Can’t help with the seaweed though, never had to make any…..Peter’s advice is sound though, and looking at pictures of the sort of scene you envisage should give you ideas.
Thanks Tim. The doggies are not a patch on yours, of course! I started the whole model with a zenithal prime, which was very helpful in ensuring I could mask the lack of accurate painting in the bowels of the chariot. But with the dogs, it was completely the wrong way round - their undercarriages needing to be palest, not darkest.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim. The doggies are not a patch on yours, of course! I started the whole model with a zenithal prime, which was very helpful in ensuring I could mask the lack of accurate painting in the bowels of the chariot. But with the dogs, it was completely the wrong way round - their undercarriages needing to be palest, not darkest.
Actually I think they are excellent Paul. Exactly what I found as well. It felt like I was painting them upside down ;)

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
That's really helpful, Peter, thank you so much. I made the starfish out of Milliput, and that was very fiddly, but I'll see if I have any nails with limpet-shaped heads. Your underwater seaweed looks excellent, but I'm after big blackened clumps of it on the shore. There's probably a suitable scatter material out there that'll work, but with nowhere in town to browse these materials, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. On-line images often don't help very much, I find.
Glad to be of help. I used the lichen straight off the tree, perhaps if it is wet it would fold over. I would try (on a bit of scrap) to glue a clump of it, standing up, with superglue. When the SG has set then soak it with water to see how floppy it gets.

the clams look good.

petet

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice indeed Paul, nice paintwork.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Take it that you want something like bladderwrack/bladderwort that dries to clumps of black/dark brown? Kelp wouldn't be too difficult, as it's fairly flat leaved?
One person who might be able to help with the seaweed, might be Ron (Spanner570) as there was flotsam and jetsam on his wrecked submarine dio here not much, but looks like some

Last edited:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks all for the help and - the flattering comments! I've used some lichen for the seaweed, which has worked quite well, I think. Just tweaking it a bit, then it'll be varnished and I'll post pictures in the completed fantasy figures section.