Second attempt at figure modelling; Tamiya German ww2 infantryman. Face completed.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi fellow figure aficionados,

This is my completed face (smock not yet painted) for the aforementioned figure. Quite chuffed with the outcome actually, much improved on the wooden looking first attempt (see critique corner). Used Vallejo paints for this except for the eyes, which I used Tamiya paints for. Thought I'd share the end result on here....20211013_191402.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats very nice, very life like!

I cannot do figures, last attempt looked like coco the clown;)

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Thats very nice, very life like!

I cannot do figures, last attempt looked like coco the clown;)
Thank you for the compliments.This was difficult to paint, figures are very challenging indeed but keep practicing and your figures will improve I'm sure. G

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That is a very good head Gavin. The colours are great and the shadows and highlights really emphasise the shapes and features. Top job :thumb2:
Thank you Tim for the compliments; feedback appreciated from an experienced modeller like yourself. G

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a great improvement from your last figure, Gavin. More lifelike and good tones. In your next try you can experiment on the direction of the eyes. Not all figures need to look straight ahead. Varying the eyeball direction can make a significant improvement and helps delete the thousand yard stare.

Cheers,
Richard

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That's a great improvement from your last figure, Gavin. More lifelike and good tones. In your next try you can experiment on the direction of the eyes. Not all figures need to look straight ahead. Varying the eyeball direction can make a significant improvement and helps delete the thousand yard stare.

Cheers,
Richard
Thank you Richard, that's a good point about the eyes actually. I really, really get figure painting. Only wish I had started figure modelling years ago! Thanks for the compliments. G

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You're not too late. Figure modelling and painting is enjoyable and less stressful and with the latest resin and 3D releases they're so much nicer to paint with so much more detailed.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gavin,

That's come out very nicely indeed.

Very well done.

Andrew

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Thanks for the feedback folks; much appreciated. A couple of things I've noticed: Vallejo paints are indeed very smooth and better than Tamiya paints for brush painting. However, the acrylic retarder is absolutely ESSENTIAL for any Tamiya brush painting, it's great product, a real game changer....