Seeking some advice.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I am thinking of building a floaty thing and would appreciate the thoughts of the boat/ship builders here. I don,t want something huge but I don't want anything too small and looking about at some kits 1/144 scale seems about the size for me. Revell seem to have a few kits that size that have caught my attention so what is the general opinion of them? About 20 years ago I built a Sergal kit of the Bounty, well ,to say it was a kit seemed to me to be a contradiction in terms as it was a box of wood with only the keel and a few bulheads made from laser cut ply, a mile of thread and some photo etch parts but I managed to build it so something plastic will, in my opinion be a bit easier. As my first try I intend to build it out of the box, painted but not weathered and sitting on a stand. All opinions good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, the Revell 1/144 Snowberry Corvette is a superb kit. A good test too!

About 43mm (17") long.
I built one on here not long ago. Great fun and heartily recommended.

There is one running on ebay right now......Three days to go!

... and if you don't win it, I have one I will sell you!
Ron

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dave,
If you can find it the Revell 'Charles W Morgan' - a whaler - has lots of potential. I've made a couple for different people and they've been universally well received! A lovely model! Also the Airfix 'Wasa' or Heller 'Soleil Royale' - gently handled they can both be stunning, especially if displayed as Admiralty-type models.
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, I can vouch for the whaler 'Charles W. Morgan' I built the Academy 1/200 version in a chasing whales dio. on here. A very nice little kit.
Luckily, I have the Revell 1/110 one nearing the top of my rather small stash..... ;) ;)

Sorry for the slight-ish diversion.

First Name
Tony
Andy, what would be your preference, sailing, civilian or military ships? it would give a lead.

In the civilian ships, at 1:142 scale I've never heard a bad word about Revell North Sea Trawler, other than its an old kit.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I am thinking of building a floaty thing and would appreciate the thoughts of the boat/ship builders here. I don,t want something huge but I don't want anything too small and looking about at some kits 1/144 scale seems about the size for me. Revell seem to have a few kits that size that have caught my attention so what is the general opinion of them? About 20 years ago I built a Sergal kit of the Bounty, well ,to say it was a kit seemed to me to be a contradiction in terms as it was a box of wood with only the keel and a few bulheads made from laser cut ply, a mile of thread and some photo etch parts but I managed to build it so something plastic will, in my opinion be a bit easier. As my first try I intend to build it out of the box, painted but not weathered and sitting on a stand. All opinions good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.
GO FOR IT Andy as we are getting quite a floaty crew on here nice one :thumb2:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I had the Airfix ship in the bottle model of the Charles Morgan. Also been on the boat in the harbour in Mystic last wooden whaler in existence.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOK Andy this just my opinion why dont you do the graf spey from the battle of the river plate she was in pleny of action an she is small enough to fit in your pocket lol as she was called a pocket battle ship lol
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy,
Now there's a thought. I have the Academy 1/135 Graf Spee up for grabs too........

Kapitan Hans Langsdorff
Montevideo Harbour

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks a lot for the recommendations and advice chaps. As for which type to go for I am probably torn between military and civilian, no sailing ships as I had enough of that when I built the Sergal Bounty with miles of rigging and canvas sails to contend with. I will think it over for a few days before making a decision.

Andy.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Trumpeter did a small range of 1/150 ships, like this one:

They do crop up on ebay and are usually quite cheap. I built one of them some years ago and found it a nice, simple build without all the fiddly PE and really tiny bits you see in a lot of kits. You'd have absolutely no problems.