Seen while gardening

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
While gardening on Monday and Tuesday where I go I came across this.
A whole web of very young Orb Spider (Araneus diadematus) having hatched out on the shed door handle

2021_3.jpg

Moved then into the hedge where they might stand a chance.

2021.jpg2021_16.jpg
Used a news paper to scoop them up into the plant pot saucer.

Mean while in another part of the garden I have some Common Spotted -Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii)
These have just showed up after I was asked to let some of the grass grow long around an apple tree where there are some primroses. Last year another one turned up in the side of the wild life pond growing in water logged ground.

2021_22.jpg

John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Wonderful nature. A couple of years ago we had a load of little spiders hatch out on a wooden gate. They hung around for a few days and then just disappeared. I love spiders - such varied and amazing creatures.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Wonderful nature. A couple of years ago we had a load of little spiders hatch out on a wooden gate. They hung around for a few days and then just disappeared. I love spiders - such varied and amazing creatures.
Jim
Oh I agree Jim, as for these spiders I've had then in the greenhouse under a plant. Tap the leaf and they all rushed back and hid. Ended up with some on my hat, the first thing I knew about then was when one suddenly lowered its self on its web passed my eye ! as I was sitting at the bench.

Cor you even know there posh names!!!
No, not really Bob, when I look then up to check on the name the Latin names comes up as well .:nerd:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm known for picking them up regardless of size ! Wolf spiders are the fastest and can give you a nip. Those I photo'd are the ones who make beautiful webs in the Autumn, when mature they look like this.

1623364261127.png and have a web like this 1623364284642.png
John.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm OK with spiders as long as they stay outside........in my house they are "fair game" and it is "open season" year round. We have a particular variety here in Montana called the HOBO spider......if you are bitten by one of these it can cause your flesh to become so infected that the wound spreads and does further damage to the top as well as underlying tissue. Nasty stuff, Foul Ball and all that sort of thing.
Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Same as me Rick, all of nature are good and safe from me outside (other than rats) but the house is a 'no go area'
Used to be ok with spiders, but my attitude changed years ago (by an incident with a False Widow)

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Look at you lot in your gardens... wanna be Percy Throwers loving the garden and spiders... well here's his non gardening spider hating brother Flame Thrower!

flamethrower-998x672.jpg

Lee

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
  • Sad
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Look at you lot in your gardens... wanna be Percy Throwers loving the garden and spiders... well here's his non gardening spider hating brother Flame Thrower!

View attachment 425888

Lee
You laugh...... But I once did a home made smaller version of that as a teenager using my mum's hairspray and a match......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My arachnophobia stems from a bout of measles when I was about five. I hallucinated large spiders all over my room when I was feverish…….I’m ok with them outside and leave them alone, but inside they’re fair game. I can control the fear now, as long as they don’t take me by surprise!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I can just about tolerate them nowadays, as a kid I had a big one crawl out my pillowcase when I was in bed and just happen to open my eyes and it was about an two inches from my face,I was actually looking in his eyes! At that distance it was ten feet across! Didn't sleep in my bed for a week!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My only fear is having them crawl into my ear when I'm napping. Otherwise they're fine. As kids I used to watch spider fights and the proud owners showing off their spiders from matchboxes stuffed with leaves. They look like tiny black terantulas with emerald green markings. Went on a catching spree once along ditches with large yam leaves covered with creeping vegetation...how we never got bitten by snakes is a miracle.
Only intrusion in the house are Daddy Long Legs. If they accidentally run along your face you'll suffer from swelling on the lips or eyelids. We'll know if an insect is in the house cos we'll have to hold down all valuable breakable items in the house for fear of the cats crashing into them. Flies don't stand a chance with them...you can actually hear the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon theme music playing when they stalk a fly.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh dear when there is a massive fly problem you'll regret not having spiders, and who is going to spin those wheel spokes, just think about that ! :nerd: