Sept - Dec 2016 GB: Wheeled Armour chat thread

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Nice selection Bob,would be hard to pick one, :D

You can remove the three humvee as they are not an armoured car.

so very glad that I,m keeping an eye on this one,as I did not know that about the humvee,thank you Ian, :D

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Might just pop this bad boy out...it's been sat on the shelf smirking at me for ages now...

s-l300.jpg

Lee :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
so very glad that I,m keeping an eye on this one,as I did not know that about the humvee,thank you Ian, :D

It's hard to figure out 100% but basically the early ones were soft skins and not very bullet proof, the later types had OK armour that could stop most rifle fire but still get ripped open by a RPG or heavy weapons, Not 100% an armoured car but a car with enhanced armour...

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very good info,Ian do appreciate it so, :D

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
When does an armoured car become an armoured personnel carrier?

Now that I've let off a metaphorical fart in the room with that question I'll sneak off like a guilty teenager!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I can't resist the temptation to do a simultaneous build (I've been trying for a week now and it's no good!) with these two. One for this GB and the other for the Halftrack GB:

IMGP2066.JPG

I'll start threads in the appropriate places for both in a day or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

When does an armoured car become an armoured personnel carrier?

Now that I've let off a metaphorical fart in the room with that question I'll sneak off like a guilty teenager!

I think the word ' personnel ' sums up the difference Rick. An armoured car is a fighting vehicle in its own right, whereas an APCs main role is delivering troops in hostile environments.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think the word ' personnel ' sums up the difference Rick. An armoured car is a fighting vehicle in its own right, whereas an APCs main role is delivering troops in hostile environments.

Although I agree 100% with that, I feel that for this GB we can let it slide. In my mind if it is armoured, and has wheels it is an armoured car......And it will make it a bit easier to find a victim to build for this one. (Yes I'm trying to bend the rules to get people to join in, not scare them off. LOL).

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what would I have to get in the way of a modern day,one,would like some think German or Russian,

any help plz lads,

would be greatly appreciated,

cheers

Moni

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am tempted to open this up to "Wheeled Armour" and not just armoured cars. This subject is a mine field! 
doing this, we could have any military armour as long as it is on wheels. What do you lot think of that? 
I have just been on a modelshop site and searched Armoured cars and a lot of the results where not what I would call an armoured car. However there are LOADS of very interesting things from APC's to high power cannons (have you seen the new Russian coastal defence gun! )

So stick with armoured cars or change to wheeled armour?

T

tommy1drop

what would I have to get in the way of a modern day,one,would like some think German or Russian,

any help plz lads,

cheers

Moni

Hi Monica if you are looking for modern armoured car's, Trumpeter do a good range of modern armoured car's, these are Russian, Italian, Spanish and American version's of armoured car's.

Meng and Revell along with Zvezda all do German and Russian armoured car's.

Meng and Zvezda both do the Gaz Tigr/Tiger

Trumpeter do many Russian vehicles including the Bdrm armoured car/ vehicle, the Russian Vodnik armoured car/vehicle and they also do the German Fennek

Revell do the modern Luchs A1/A2, they also do the Dingo armoured car/vehicle and the Fennek armoured car.

Hobby Boss also do a range of American armoured car's.

I hope this helps you in deciding on what you are looking for.

Tom

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i have the old original tamiya Saladin mk2 which i have been eying up for a while or a mini arts dingo mk3 , which 1 to build ?  

B

Builder

any help plz lads,

cheers

Moni

Hi Monica

Here are some pictures of kits for Russian Armored Vehicles - I think I have covered all of their armored vehicles - expect for their specialized ones 

zvezda_btr80a-boxart-lg.jpg
tru_1542_title.jpg
108398-10000-pristine.jpg

btr70bt.jpg
trumpeter05512reviewsg_1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Gaskin wouldn't really qualify, as it's barely armoured & a mobile SAM.

Hey Patrick.. just thought I'd add you on to this as well..I'd have to disagree with that one mate.The Gaskin is actually a BRDM 2 with a launcher on top... the BRDM 2 is definitely an armored vehicle. It is classified by Russia as an Amphibious Armored Vehicle. I know this because I have been inside one mate. It has 14mm Armour plating in most areas. It also has armored protection for the engine if I am correct. 

So Monica in saying that there is also this kit!

9138poster-s.jpg

And as for German Modern Armored Vehicles.. once again I will cover the most common ones (most of them are Revell of Germany.. they must have some kind of Patent over the models of these vehicles)

211336-11814-23-pristine.jpg

One of my favorite Modern armored vehicles

boxtop.jpg

rg_3233_title.jpg

P1170047.JPG

Hope that is a good selection of kits ... some of them are expensive and hard to find.. so good luck! Hope you didn't mind my long answer and loads of pictures. 

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
I am tempted to open this up to "Wheeled Armour" and not just armoured cars. This subject is a mine field! 
doing this, we could have any military armour as long as it is on wheels. What do you lot think of that? 
I have just been on a modelshop site and searched Armoured cars and a lot of the results where not what I would call an armoured car. However there are LOADS of very interesting things from APC's to high power cannons (have you seen the new Russian coastal defence gun! )

I don't mind as I will be buying a kit anyway ( when my pocket money is handed out) . 

Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

So I could do this one instead?

IMGP2074.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you very much Tommy,Bob for your help do appreciate it so much, :D

that's a great range your given Bob I like to see ,and I have a couple I,can narrow it down too, :o

because I got this idea pop in my head,for this build, 9_9