Sham 2 - Homemade Syrian Armoured Car

T

Tim Crowe

Find myself having to have short breaks from the Mazur

Found a model of the Sham 2. A homemade Syrian armoured car:

http://rocketmantan.deviantart.com/art/ ... -376337197

The original scale is about 1:14. Have hopefully resized it to 1:25 scale to fit in with my other models.

The existing model is very good. Couldn't help but add some extras, though.

Started off by printing the external skins onto paper then, glueing to 1mm card. Built up the outside first and trimmed the formers to fit.

Built up the wheels and added a basic chassis to the underside.

Kept detail basic, it's not meant to be seen directly

Once built up I gave it a coat of Panzergrau. Black would be a bit too harsh.

Underside is all done. Next stage is to build up the exterior.

Tim

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's an unusual project Tim........... and looking pretty good. I'll follow this build.

Peter

T

Tim Crowe

Nearly done:

There are not too many photos of the original. I think some were taken before she was complete. Have added an extra camera at the back. The video footage of the inside shows the driver using four cameras - with one facing rearwards.

The handles are made from paperclips. The rivets are placed according to the various photos available. One photo shows an extra hatch on top - so have added one.

Scratch-built the machine gun. Some news forums state it is a 7.62mm. So it's probably a Russian PKM. Used the kits stock and ammo box, rest is scrap built. There is also some sort of counter-weight thingy at the back

Painting next.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Main coat of paint is done. Used Revell, matt rust. Looks okay, but far too dark.

Plastic modellers seem to use a lot of burnt sienna for rust. Will just have to but up with what colours I have. And try to replicate the rust with lighter shades of brown and maybe a wash or two.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Weathering is done:

Gave the model a rough dry brushing of dark earth and sand acrylic paints. this was to break up the base colour and to highlight any edges

Next gave her a good going over with Pro Modeller light dirt. Once dry gave another wash with water just to tone things down and streak the wash a bit more.

Next was was using dark dirt. Used this to highlight the hatch covers and the panel joint on either side of the main body.

Final wash was using rust. Kept the brush strokes vertical to simulate rain streaks.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Made some cameras

Main body is out of dowel, with a paper shroud for the lens. Lens is out of acetate sheet with the reverse painted black. Also stuck a length of wire to the rear as a feed line.

Glued the cameras in place and fed the wire through a pre-drilled hole in the main body.

Nearly done - just the headlights left

Tim

Last edited:
T

Tim Crowe

Head light time:

Used the original lens surround and glued a piece of acetate sheet behind. This sheet has lines scribed on it to simulate a fresnel lens.

The kits headlight is 4mm wide. I glued a 4mm strip of thin paper to a cocktail stick. The stick was weakened at the 4mm mark. Then wound the paper round to a suilable diameter.

Found a former to push the paper disk over to form the light shape then brushed some thinned pva glue over, and left to dry.

Once dry I drilled down the centre of the stick with a thin drill. Painted the inside silver and the outside black. A cut off pin-head was inserted into the drilled hole. Then the lens cover was glued on. The light was then gently broken off at the 4mm week point

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

And she's done:

Overall I'm very happy. What was started out as a simple build to help me relax from building the Mazur, has turned out really nice.

Tim