Shenanigans! 1/48 Tamiya 38t

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3526.JPG

At the suggestion of Cpl Jones, I've decided to encroach on real modellers territory and have a bash at a bit of armour. I have done quite a bit of armour in the past (some may remember my 'Shenanigans' threads on another site), but this feels very much like starting again, hence the choice of a simple kit - simple colour scheme, only a few road wheels etc.

I've always enjoyed this particular scale, and though I've made this kit before, I like the feel of the 38t. To annoy the purists, this will be built out of the box and hand painted, as suits my limited skills.

Here are the sprues:

100_3527.JPG

All one has come to expect from Tamiya. I like the addition of metal weights, which gives the finished thing the feel of a chunky Dinky toy. Multi-part tracks (gulp!) and a single commander figure. Not sure if I will turn this into a diorama as my eyes can't really cope these days with painting small figures.

Of we go...

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter I will definitely be following along with this one and it's probably a good time to give up building armour now as your have moved over to the dark side.
Good luck with the build.
Pete

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Peter,
This should be good in your hands, always did enjoy seeing you build and paint armour :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Looking forward to this. I remember your previous armour builds - excellent they were too. Next will be a ship or a car.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi chaps. No promises with this one.

First stages:

100_3529.JPG

I built the lower part of the hull, then decided to paint it a dark muddy colour before attaching the running gear. The wheels and tracks were also painted before fitting, then added to the hull:

100_3534.JPG

The tracks went on OK, though I needed to remove a link from one side for some reason. They don't fit around the wheels and sprockets as well as multi part tracks on larger scales, but they're OK (there's always mud and dirt!). I finally added the upper hull and gave the whole a base coat of German grey.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Off to a flying start Peter. I doo like it when you dip your toe into the world of AFV. Looking forward to seeing your three coloured disc with flecks camo scheme covered in winter whitewash:smiling5::smiling2::smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Anything to slow you down :tears-of-joy: but I think the attempt is futile as the hull and tracks are already on. Great start Peter.

Cheers,
Richard

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Peter, like you I don’t do that many armour builds and I also like the 1/48 scale kits.
Very nice start, I will watch this the rest.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - You funny man.

Richard - I'm trying to do it slowly, but it is a very simple kit....

Ian - Welcome along. This gets me a bit outside my comfort zone. Never a bad thing.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - It seems we are both moving to the 'dark side' of armour modelling.

I am sure you will do a cracking job.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Peter,
Welcome back to the 'Dark side'. The usual old crones, defunct wizards and those that should know better are still here. Do not listen to the hecklers, listen to a voice of reason - do the ambush scheme with all of those discs cut out from three colours.... Nurse , Nurse I need my meds.....
We will enjoy it when it is complete as always.
Cheers, Mike.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Love the change of direction,

" Change is a good as a rest"

Your none figure builds were always just as good to follow and you have an eye for detail that certainly will transfer to the ""Dark Side"" !

Not forgetting your brush wielding skills too.

I guess your biggest problem is storage?

"The Cabinet" must be pretty full by now, where would you put, even a 1:48 Pz 38(t)

I think the commander figure is going to be a step too far at 1:48 scale, but a tasteful base would be a suitable addition?

Have fun with the building today

Time to tidy my desk and get something built too

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - The Dark Side indeed. Feels very odd after so long.

Mike - Have the meds kicked in yet? Stop frightening me with talk of disc camo schemes please!

Steve - A change is as good as a rest they say. The commander figure may be a step too far, but I have gone and ordered a couple of Hecker and Goros crew figures - I felt that the basic tank was going to need a bit of help, as well as a base. The cabinet is indeed full and I don't know where I'm going to put this - time for a clear out. Your parcel will be sent today, by the way.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking fwd to this Peter, as Jim has rightly said when referring to your previous armour builds " excellent they were too. "

Ignore Cpl Jones he's suffering from Camoitus, where the inflicted attempt to force all other vehicle modellers into producing complex camo patterns. Unfortunately it's is untreatable here in the UK .

Hope you can manage the figure, I've had several people admire the 1/35 you sent .
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - I'll try my best. I know Cpl Jones is only joshing.

The basics are done:

100_3538.JPG

The basic part of the build is done and the whole has been given a basic coat of paint. I've left off the tools, spare tracks etc. as they will be painted and weathered-in to match the rest once the main weathering has been done. I also prefer to add the decals at the end, then weather them individually.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Peter I’ll be watching I have this tank and almost the entire Tamiya 1/48 Armour collection they are very nice. That Jones guy could force your hand sometimes but he means well and we all know him very well but he’s still a good chap.

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Cheers. They always look horrible at this stage, but there have been no major mishaps so far.

Lee - I've built quite a few of these Tamiya 1/48s in the past (long discarded) and I have always enjoyed doing them. Cpl Jones sure is a joker!

D

Deleted member 6559

The Hecker & Goros figures I've ordered:

kshg94previewbg_1.jpg

I'll have to find them something to do on the engine deck I think (stowing something?).

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
That is a great start, you do yourself an injustice your last armour was very nicely done. If you get those figures as good as you normally do I will be leaving the hobby as there will be no justice in the world:smiling::smiling: