Shenanigans! 1/48 Tamiya 38t

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Peter,

I remember the armour you used to make under the same title im glad you are revisiting it and if you don't mind i will take a seat.

Martyn

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
All looking good .
I like those poses that the figures have. :thumb2:
John.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I like the figures, they will be useful to add context and scale to the 38t.

There are "other" ways to paint smaller figures, and still achieve acceptable levels of detail.

All about washes and You Tube

Looks like it will be another fun day with your tank

Frost on the way soon

Regards

Steve H

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Peter,
I knew I could count on you to produce a kit of value and you have not let me down, looking forward to seeing the figures in place. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Mike

J

John Cole

Hi Peter, amazing armoured view. As with your figures, fantastic painting. Would love to see the armour painting progress. If you decide no more progress, the figures you mentioned would be missed. Really be good to see added, always high realistic.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps. Bit of a surprise as I'm not that happy with it myself. It does look better in the flesh though (I know we all say that). I have worked on it some more, and will wait until the return of daylight to finish it off. The Hecker and Goros figures arrived (white metal) and they look OK. I can't work out what the squatting chap is holding in his hands though - any suggestions? Looks like a bunch of rotten bananas to me.

John - After giving the various parts a basic coat of colour, the weathering was built up with dry-brushing and a series of washes. I started with a medium grey, then worked up to a light grey to pick up the detail and give a worn look to the panels. After a wash of thinned black, I gave it a rub over with powdered graphite (from a pencil), then continued dry-brushing with khaki, flat flesh and lastly white (all Vallejo model colour). Some of the panel lines and other details were then delineated with thin black applied with a fine brush. Basically, it's a matter of going backwards and forwards with the washes and dry-brushing until you get the desired look. It's more or less Francois Verlinden's technique (thus very out-dated!).

J

John Cole

Good to hear you have the figures Peter. Probably are bananas :smiling:, although I would have thought they were ammunition rounds, but colour is denying that?

Thanks for the painting process as so complex to see finished that makes it so life real. Weather, wear and tear, etc. is visible and as described it is an ongoing use. Glad to hear it’s Vallejo as I have a lot of them to use. Please keep showing us

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very well executed Peter! you did a great job

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - very nice, Ido like the simplicity of the base. The H&G figures look very nice and will complimentit nicely.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Peter.

I only used one figure after all. The second Hecker & Goros figure turned out not to be very good, and the kit commander figure was much smaller than both. Here he is then:

100_3597.JPG

And the finished piece:

100_3582.JPG100_3584.JPG100_3585.JPG100_3589.JPG

Good fun, but a tricky re-learning curve. My bugbear is that it's very hard to find decent figures in 1/48, but I think that in this case the single figure is perhaps preferable.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Andrew
As usual you've finished before I start reading some of it! I think the guy who you rejected could be carrying a bunch of tools (screwdrivers, etc.)?
Very, very nice Mr Day! Hopefully not too much strain on your eyes.
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Andy

Painting the figure did give me one almighty headache as it happens!