Shenanigans! 1/48 Tamiya 38t

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Durk

Hi Peter, very nice end result indeed, wish I could paint black uniforms like that! Got the same problem lately, too much staring at very small objects and I end up with a head ache as well:flushed:.....

DIRK

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter, your just taking the mick you can achieve great results even on small figures.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Dirk - Thanks. The black uniform is basically highlighted with Vallejo Luftwaffe Uniform - very little black on it. A kip with the dog for an hour has got rid of the headache thanks.

John - Thanks, and good luck!

Scottie - Not one of my best and a real struggle for the eyes, but many thanks.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My friend there is nothing at all wrong with the tank, a perfect build and paint job to die for.
Stand away and leave it alone please.
In reply to your question about what the gentleman is holding, I thought either a pair of gloves or passing something to the driver/ machine gunner like ammo for a pistol.
John.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Brilliant,
Mike.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Thanks. It's safe, pending finding a space in the cabinet. As far as what the chap is holding, I think it must be a belt of MG ammo, but it's academic now.

Mike - Thank you.

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done with the 1:48 figure, the headache was always going to happen, you knew it was coming, but a really nice finish on the figure and on the Pz 38t too.

Even if the finish is "old School" it still look good, nothing wrong with the Verlinden way, still just a useful to day as ever.

Weathering and wear and tear is sometimes better managed and visualized over time and in layers, literally.

Michel Rinaldi's OPR looks great but isn't as easy to do!

Well done Peter, quite an achievement after the long break.

What next?

Have a good day with the paints.

Time for me to take another tablet and get back to the bench.

Hopefully something to share soon.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve

I suppose that this was an exercise in brush painting. I don't own an airbrush anyway and I wanted to see what could be done with the materials I had at hand.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is a master class in brush work. If you hadnt have said anything it looks like airbrush work. I'm glad you mentioned Verlinden as it certainly has the Verlinden look about it. I have a couple of their books showcasing peoples models and this one would not look out of place in there at all. I am a big fan of this look. Although you say it is dated it really does stand the test of time.

I have major issues with brush work. I try to do layers and build them up but it still goes thick in the areas that were painted thick before. I suppose its a matter of avoiding the fully painted areas and try and build up the more transparent parts?? One thing I will have to work on.

This build and finish is a real credit to you. I zoomed in on your figure and its incredible the detail you manage to achieve on such a small scale.

With fine detailing I can only manage a max of two hours at the bench before the head hurts. It can be a real strain. Maybe we need to start doing 1:12th stuff from now on:smiling5::smiling5:

Thanks for sharing Peter and good luck with Mr Uboat:thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Praise indeed coming from the armour painter par excellence.

I try to use only one layer for the initial coat, and I find that brush-painting Vallejo Model Colour with a large soft brush produces a very thin and even covering. The rest is then built up with dry-brushing, so there's actually very little paint on the thing.

My eyes are definitely too old for 1/48 figures, so I've ordered some 1/35 stuff for my next armour project. Got the U-Boat man and some busts for Sarnia to do in the meantime.

J

John Cole

Look forward to it Peter as my 1/35 figures are a real challenge as seem so small. Your 1/48 is so encouraging for me.

D

Deleted member 5819

Wowsers I knew it was going to be good but I didn't know it's going to be that good, you certainly haven't lost your touch you with the big stuff. I never got to see your afv on the old site pleasure to see it now.
You are certainly a master with the paintbrush sir, one thing I will never achieve.
Two questions, one what do you thin you're paints with and two I've tried painting or dry brushing over graphite before with no success what's the secret.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Great result. Tank and figure both do you credit. Your skills are not limited to larger figures and busts. You could do a wingy thingy next :smiling5:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I've been bitten by the bug.

John - It's all about time and practice I suppose.

Peter - I tend not to thin my paints much, but if I do, then just with a bit of tap water. I apply the graphite by rubbing it on with my finger, and use quite a hard type, from an HB pencil at least. I find that is usually enough to fix it into place.

Jim - A wingy thing? I never got it right as a kid and haven't tried since. Who knows? Perhaps one day...

Dave - Many thanks.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It turned out looking very nice well executed Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nice of you to say so Lee. It's looking at the work of my fellow modellers that keeps me at it, especially the talented bunch on this site.