Shenanigans 5: Tamiya PzKpfw IV Ausf D

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

OK, let' see how this one goes.

After the failures of my Tamiya T-34 and Italeri Dodge, I said that I was going to be wary of old kits. However, beggars can't be choosers, and at a price of £17, this seemed worth getting, even though it's dated 1977 on the box and 1975 on some of the sprues. I've also built it before, so I know it can be done!

The kit has parts for an early version, later version with additional armour, and a DAK version with additional engine vents and turret bin. The sprues:

The figures are not brilliant, but adequate, so I'm going for something straight out of the box.

Off we go......

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Afternoon Peter

I seem to be late to all the parties!

The Pandour officer looks really cool if not a little odd with a 3 tier thing on his head but cracking finish.

You really are a glutton for punishment or a slow learner with the old kits and 1:35 figures!

There's pain ahead, but at least the old Tamiya Pz IV D only has dimensional issues and still builds into a "tank"

Have a fun day building

Regards

Steve H

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Go for it Peter, your masochistic tendancies are coming to the fore. Will look in later. Cheers, Mike.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - As long as it looks roughly like a German tank, I don't mind. As you've probably gathered, I'm no expert! I appreciate that such an old kit is likely to be pretty inaccurate, so I hope you'll indulge me.

Mike - I remembered this as being fairly straightforward when I first built it, so hopefully it won't be too painful.

This is where I've got to with it:

The basic hull and running gear are done and everything that will be painted grey has been attached. I've also used the extra armour plates, which I think gives it a lift.

The running gear was much stronger than that of the T34 I binned, but the idlers were still a bit flimsily mounted to take the strain of the vinyl track. I therefore had to add some packing to the mounts to strengthen them. I also had to add a piece of trim to the inside edge of the aerial trough as it was damaged by the sprue attachments.

The undersides and running gear have been given a coat of black/brown as a base for a muddy finish and the upper parts have had a coat of Vallejo German Grey.

D

Deleted member 4539

On you marks get set............give us a chance :tongue-out3:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Scottie and Ralph. Don't worry, nowhere near finished and I will slow down a bit from now on. I always get anxious about the running gear and whether the deck will fit, so once they're done I can relax.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie and Ralph. Don't worry, nowhere near finished and I will slow down a bit from now on. I always get anxious about the running gear and whether the deck will fit, so once they're done I can relax.
Peter, No worries I wish sometimes I could get them built quicker than I manage.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is my only shelf queen. I had great plans to build two at once a couple of years back but made a right hash of trying to correct the front sprockets. If you need any spares for any of this build let me know. However I fear by the time I send it to you you will ave finished it! :smiling5:

Looking great so far. Keep up the good work. Are you going to try a desert colour or sticking with Panzergrau??

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - So I assume that the front sprockets are wrong?!!!! I wouldn't know, and in my book, if it ain't broke......

I don't think I'll need any spares thanks - I'm trying my hardest to keep everything clean and unbroken. I might extend this one into a dio, with perhaps an armoured car.

I'm sticking with Panzergrau so that I can use the kit figures. They look paintable at least.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
They were only incorrect for the specific Ausf D I was building in the desert. Your generic one will be fine :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I’ll be watching this Peter I was going to buy ones these I’ll see how you do

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

Gosh, I remember building this kit back in the day. Seeing the inside of the hull takes me back - it looks like it was designed for their motorised version.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - :thumb2:

Lee - If I can build it, anyone can.

Peter - Yes, designed to take a motor c.1975, then updated with a new sprue c.1977. The first Tamiya I made as a kid was a Tiger that included a motor - the thing worked too.

I watched the World at War episode on Barbarossa the other day and there was a lot of footage featuring Ausf Ds. This one looks near enough for me.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start, and definitely tank shaped, just like a Pz IV.

I have used brass rod through the back end to support weak idler wheel axles before now, especially with vinyl tracks.

I also built this one back in the 70's too, when it was the only game in town, and super for the 70's.

I think some of the Pz IV D issues might be by association, as the TriStar IV D had a real problem with hinges on the rear deck.

They copied the Achtung Panzer drawings which had the hinges on the wrong side!

Though a sharp blade and some glue, sorted.

The figures might be a step too far though, not that good from what I remember?

Have a good day building, not often I get to say that!

Regards

Steve H

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Beware of how the front deck fits to the lower hull. Somebody here built one of these kits a few months ago and couldn’t quite figure it out, then ended up getting it “wrong”. I would suggest looking up that thread :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - It's gone together very well - certainly a lot better than some other kits I remember from that era. I have decided to drop the figures as they could be a lot better. I'm going to have a look now for some replacements.

Jakko - Cheers, Yes I can see how that could happen, and where our friend probably went wrong. It took some figuring out, but it fitted correctly.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I'm sure this one will see the finish line.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Yes. It's built and ready for weathering.

I've ordered these Sovereign crew figures:

I really like Sovereign's 1/35 figures. Although these are meant to be from different periods, they are both wearing standard Panzer uniforms and I've also ordered some spare heads to help them match.