Shenanigans 7: Tamiya Protze. Ancient and Modern...

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well it seems to have worked alright Peter, and certainly looks good .
John .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done in completing your warping and fit issues successfully.

If the build is your primary part of the hobby, then Yes to getting it fixed, if its painting, then NO!

The weathering will certainly change the original colour and patterns, which is all part of hobby the too.

As for speed, you are still at Warp speed, even with your set back.

Perhaps with your next armour project, you could add one new process, to get a feel for all the new fangled "stuff"?

Modulation, pigments, OPR, SODA?

I would leave PE and soldering alone for another day, as it is a Dark Art all of its own!

Looks like its going to be good day to weather the Protze, then figures?

Enjoy the cooler weekend

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Cheers. I do have that sense of achievement.

Steve - Morning. I'm not sure that new techniques will slow me down - translation please: OPR, SODA?

I'm quite keen to get back to some busts and 120mm figures, so this may be my last armour build for a while,

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi

Michael Rinaldi's Oil Paint Render, which could be Small Oil Dot Application.

Using oil paint blobbed onto to a cardboard palette to leach out as much linseed oil as possible

Then to ""repaint" all the surfaces and do all the effects in one go, shading, washes, streaks, chips, rust etc etc etc

HTH's Peter?

Stick to what you enjoy before it gets too silly, as it can at times with the ""critiques" and rivet counters, as on other sites, not here, thankfully!

Have a good day

Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thanks for clearing that one up (also had to look up HTH!).

The main part of the vehicle is finished:

I found weathering this one pretty difficult, mainly because it is so delicate - I had to support the wheels while painting them for example.

A lot of the usual dry-brushing and more washes than I would have done normally, but I've wrestled it to a state where I'm now going to leave it alone.

Now to go and look for that pesky wing mirror.....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Paul - big relief!

This is the stowage and two figures made up from the kit parts:

I thought the kit idea of the thing carrying just about every German infantry weapon of the 2WW was a bit silly (it's just a generic sprue), so I've gone for what might be expected of a panzer regiment vehicle: oil drums, ammo and sacks of spuds, together with the crew's personal equipment. Any tips on adding barbs to the barbed wire?

The officer will be sitting in the front passenger seat and the other figure in the back. The driver will be the Sovereign engineer figure who has got out to remonstrate with the cook, who is blocking the track.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Many thanks.

Scottie - I am humbled by your comment, Oh Master.

D

Deleted member 6559

The vehicle is finished:

The latest session was about the stowage. I used a couple of items from the kit, but most came from the spares box. Extras included some planks made from lolly sticks to pack around the oil drums, and a length of hose made from defunct headphone wire.

I ended up painting more than I needed as I'd prepared the various items before changing my mind about the positioning of the figures. It can be saved for a future project.

Fitting it all in was very much down to trial and error and remembering to leave space for the figures. I've tinkered a bit more with these, so that now they will be sitting in the back and looking in the same direction (at the horse and rider):

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter looking very nice indeed mate the crew are sitting very naturally, looking forward to seeing them painted.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That is a superb paint finish Peter, your own personal style you employ on your figures has easily transferred to vehicles to give them the wow factor too. If you want to add barbs to the wire I've seen it done using very fine electrical wire strands, twisted on and secured with superglue then trimmed.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Mick - I did start doing that with the wire, but quickly began to lose the will to live. Brush painting copper wire is difficult anyway, so I'll give that one a miss.

• Haha

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done with your weathering, as you quite rightly predicted the 2 tone camo would all but disappear with weathering.

Add poor film quality and contrast, and its no wonder for many years the braun was missed on the 39/40 vehicle camo!

Your brush finish is as ever superb, it beats the wasted 6 hours fighting the cold and bad light in my garage spray booth, to end up with my F2 looking like she has been dipped in treacle rather than air brushed!

Paint stripper at the ready today.

Have a good day with the 2 figures, then back to busts?

Regards

Steve H

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter

Well done with your weathering, as you quite rightly predicted the 2 tone camo would all but disappear with weathering.

Add poor film quality and contrast, and its no wonder for many years the braun was missed on the 39/40 vehicle camo!

Your brush finish is as ever superb, it beats the wasted 6 hours fighting the cold and bad light in my garage spray booth, to end up with my F2 looking like she has been dipped in treacle rather than air brushed!

Paint stripper at the ready today.

Have a good day with the 2 figures, then back to busts?

Regards

Steve H

I can just image the look of horror when you looked at the F2 in poper light, not funny in that sense , but in the way you described it !
Thank you Peter, sorry to interrupt. Love the build you certainly made it into a winner .
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I'd be hopeless with an airbrush. I tried one at art college and couldn't get on with it. That and the fact that I'd have to look after it when I can't even keep my brushes out of the glue...

Sorry to hear that the F2 will need stripping down. Cold garages are not good.

The crew are the first two figures, then I'll do the Sovereign and Verlinden. Off on Granddad duty again on Wednesday, so I'll probably only get the first two done this week.

John - Sounds like you've been there. Cheers re the Protze.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Too many times Peter :disappointed:
John .