Shenanigans 7: Tamiya Protze. Ancient and Modern...

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Vehicle looks superb. Love the stowage. Well done with the figure surgery. They really do fit nicely.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent progress Peter. Sold my AB after many failures. PaulE

• Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

John - :thumb2:.

Jim - Many thanks. The figures are giving me problems...

Paul - Thanks. You can't beat hairy sticks.

The first figure:

I did start the officer first, but after struggling for hours with the face I ended up throwing the head across the room. A new one will be found. This one was pretty tricky also, but he'll have to do.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Scottie. I've given the officer a new head and stated painting him. Should be OK.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
super...i really enjoy to see your techniques on vehicles and of course on the figures

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very cool Peter,
I like all those subtle colour-variations very much :thumb2:
Cheers Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - Thanks. I am finding this one a bit of a struggle. I'll be glad to go and be Granddad for a few days (off on Wednesday).

Steven - Thank you. I think the camo scheme under the weathering has helped the finish a lot.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Beautiful work.
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you John.

The officer is finished and the first two figures are fixed into place:

I removed some stowage from the seat to give them a bit more room (wouldn't want anyone to gossip).

On to the next figure....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

I've put the final three figures together:

The Sovereign mechanic is lovely and went together with no problems. I also decided to make up a driver figure in case the horse doesn't work out (see below). It's made up of parts from the kit with a DAK tank commander's torso.

The rider also went together OK (apologies for (slightly obscene pose!). However, the horse currently looks like this:

Pretty appalling fit of parts, with much filler required. I my have to hide some of the joins with extra strapping. We'll see how it goes.

D

Deleted member 4539

Never seen you do a horse before Peter.
Looking forward to seeing it painted.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Ralph. I've only done 1/16 horses before (Miniart and Dragon) so it will be interesting to work on something this small.

I've put Neddy together:

I did end up adding a chest strap and crupper (lead foil and Aber buckles) to hide the joins. It's what you get with Miniart horses and seems to work there. Hopefully, the gear can be used to hide any other dodgy parts.

That's it for a week, as I'm off to visit my Granddaughter tomorrow. She's just coming up to six months and about to start solids - big change to those nappies!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I've got a 120mm Verlinden horse and a camel and they fit about as well as this one!

Truck and completed figures look great as usual

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Simon. I must admit that I was disappointed by the horse - just seems like a lack of care to me. It looks OK now, but with a few compromises. Just have to see how it paints up. Thanks for looking in.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Have a great week away, I am sure it will refresh your mojo for finishing the Protze, which is looking spot on.

The super stocky cart horse should make a real counterpoint to the scenario.

A reminder than the Wehrmacht went into Russia with more horses than Napoleon.

Have fun

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - 2.75 million were used by the Germans in total. 175,000 were lost in Russia alone.

Looking forward to the break from modelling, though I've spent half an hour looking at the line-up for when I get back - the two figures and the horse for this set-up, two 120mm figures (Mitches and Dog Tag), a Tommie's War Bust and another Tamiya 1/35 vehicle. Yummy!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Thats a frightening no, poor things.

Did I read MiniArt :flushed::surprised::sad:. dark room time.

Enjoy your time Granddading:smiling:
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Enjoyed catching up on your progress Peter. Nice start on the horse and figures.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - The horse is a rotten casting. Not sure if it will work out, so that's why I've put together a driver figure -in case the scenario changes. Back home tomorrow then a push to get this finished.

Steve - Thanks. Getting there.