Shep Paine's Monogram leaflets

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In the 1970s, some of Monogram’s AFV and aircraft kits (apparently) included a leaflet by Step Paine on how to build diorama’s with the models and how to finish them more effectively. Today, I came across a site that has PDF scans of them:

Quality of many isn’t great, mainly because they neglected to de-rasterise the photos in them, but they’re still well worth a read, IMHO. Especially for modellers used to modern kits, methods and products :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
jakko,
That is a great find. It just goes to show that great models don't age.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
An interesting find. Historical but still a lot of useful stuff.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have his diorama book and the builds in there are just jaw-dropping

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some of Tamiya’s catalogues also showed dioramas by him, but of course without any explanations, which would have made it much more useful. There’s also a very good chapter about his 8.8 cm FlaK in a church diorama in one of the early Verlinden Way books, which was my first real introduction to his work. Ah, volume II:

QGCrDYWquokpOe3xokGR.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
There’s also a very good chapter about his 8.8 cm FlaK in a church diorama in one of the early Verlinden Way books, which was my first real introduction to his work. Ah, volume II:

I think there are two pictures of it in this book i have from him. Nothing specifically on it though. It is an excellent read though

IMG_1635.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great stuff jakko , ive got a leaflet from the old monogram b25 mitchell kit somewhere , ill have to try and find it. His dioramas and methods were fascinating and i imagine inspired many modellers to have a bash at modifying or adding extra details. Ive also got an old Tamiya catalogue from the late70s /early80s which has a section in the middle with dioramas by Francois Verlinden all using Tamiya kits , again inspiring stuff , as a young modeller I’d never seen anything like it and found it amazing . Cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think there are two pictures of it in this book i have from him. Nothing specifically on it though. It is an excellent read though
I don’t have that book, but have thought at times that I would like a copy. I just checked Amazon and eBay, but saw only ridiculous prices for it there :sad:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jakko that's really great stuff you found up it amazes me how you find it you must do a lot of reseach
chris :thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
:thumb2:

His books were also an inspiration for me - the Modelling Tanks and Military Vehicles and the How to Build Dioramas. Both very well thumbed copies

Most of the stuff in those leaflets features in the books

9780890245514_l.gif 9781853107986_l.gif

The tanks book has been recently reissued as this:

9781627003933_l.jpg

It has some extra contributions from other modellers to bring it up to date with new techniques

i also have the Life and Works of book which has pretty much everything he ever made in it

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic find Jakko, I have most of his books but not the leaflets. I had the priviledge to see the 88 dio in the Tamiya HQ museum two years ago and it still was impressive. The others were the aid station and Merkava. Both Shep and Verlinden were my introduction to dioramas including Tammy's catalogues.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it amazes me how you find it you must do a lot of reseach
Not in this particular case :smiling3: I was just reading on Wikipedia (hey, everyone needs a hobby) and through following links that looked interesting, came across the page on dioramas. That includes a link to the page about Shep Paine, which I took because I wanted to learn a bit more about him, and that in turn links to the page I posted at the top of this thread :smiling3:

I had the priviledge to see the 88 dio in the Tamiya HQ museum two years ago and it still was impressive. The others were the aid station and Merkava. Both Shep and Verlinden were my introduction to dioramas including Tammy's catalogues.
I think I’ll go into the loft and find my couple of Verlinden Way books to look through them again, especially the chapter on that particular diorama.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a lot more reasonable, thanks. I didn’t know Abebooks also mails to outside the USA at seemingly reasonable rates.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great stuff Jakko I certanly started something there ,it was just one of thoes memories that stick with you ,though it was the brumbar dio that did it for me just pure inspiration, I've taken a few breaks from the hobby but its thoes sort of memories that keep you coming back. Dave