Sherman II mid October 1942

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
What is it with you guys and the pointy toed shoes?? :tongue-out3: Have seen this posted several times and it has piqued my curiosity. Terrific progress on this one Mike and I do love a Sherman build....aren't enough of these available in different models in my scale, unless you want to spend outrageous amounts of money for them. Heiser's used to produce several in resin (ugh!) but he is all but out of business, so a huge dent in the market. Keep it coming Mate I'm really enjoying this. Rick H. :thumb2:
Cheers Rick.
Many thanks for the comment
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Liking this build a lot Mike, the SBS on the tracks is good, but they do look fiddly.:thumb2:
Graeme.
Once you get into the rythm of assembly they are ok, but the thing is not to try and assemble the lot all in one go. Since the SBS I am nowup to 30+ links and just do a few when I feel like it.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s my experience too, with individual links by a number of different manufacturers: find cleanup and assembly methods that work for you, do a bunch until you don’t feel like it anymore, then stop and pick up some later time. You’ll get the tracks finished eventually :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So been doing some sorting out of the stash, and going through those kits that you were so full of enthusiasm for, started to build them and then along came the next kit and off you were again being the adulterer you are. If kits were wives then the divorce courts would be open 24 hours a day....
All of the construction work is now complete apart from the tracks and they are progressing at their own pace....
20210702_135057.jpg
20210702_135130.jpg
20210702_135113.jpg
And that is it, now for the primer and a 23 hour clean up of the bench..
More later,
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work Mike. Really enjoyed watching this project coming together. Good luck with the wet stuff

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Update,
So been doing some sorting out of the stash, and going through those kits that you were so full of enthusiasm for, started to build them and then along came the next kit and off you were again being the adulterer you are. If kits were wives then the divorce courts would be open 24 hours a day....
All of the construction work is now complete apart from the tracks and they are progressing at their own pace....
View attachment 427906
View attachment 427907
View attachment 427908
And that is it, now for the primer and a 23 hour clean up of the bench..
More later,
Mike.
Love the work so far Mike.

And as for the divorce courts I dread to think what my stalled tally is..... So far I've not actually officially abandoned any but one of very close to being so.....

Keep up the the most excellent work.

Andrew

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Love the work so far Mike.

And as for the divorce courts I dread to think what my stalled tally is..... So far I've not actually officially abandoned any but one of very close to being so.....

Keep up the the most excellent work.

Andrew
Thank you.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
The base coat is now on,
20210703_114016.jpg
This is Desert Pink from the White Ensign Models paint range (WEM ARB 13), the susspension was also sprayed in the same colour.
I had read somewhere that the suspension and lower hull were left in Olive Drab, but could not find that bit of info, so going with the photos taken at the time I decided to do an overall coat. So how did the paint spray - I gave the tin a good shake as it had been standing from the day it arrived untill today (years). I then tried a small amount and thinned it with AK ouderless thinners to see what the reaction was and all went well.... The ratio of paint to thinners was easily worked out, I looked in the tin and saw how much from the top it was, and then added thinners untill it came just under the top. Lid back on and gave it a good shake, then tried it through the airbrush at about 17 - 20 psi, and this mix allowed me to get in close with the airbrush.
20210703_114221.jpg
The whole lot is now up in the shed to dry out for 24 hours, then a top coat of gloss ready for the next colour... Now to get on with the tracks....
Cheers,
Mike

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had read somewhere that the suspension and lower hull were left in Olive Drab, but could not find that bit of info
That’s not borne out by Mike Starmer’s British Military Camouflage & Colours: Alamein & After 1942–1943 either. It has the official drawings issued for the Sherman at this time (6 October 42) and that shows four bogies (two each side) in the disruptive colour of “DARK GREEN - No. PFI”, so maybe that’s what gave some people the thought that the whole underside was left in OD?

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That’s not borne out by Mike Starmer’s British Military Camouflage & Colours: Alamein & After 1942–1943 either. It has the official drawings issued for the Sherman at this time (6 October 42) and that shows four bogies (two each side) in the disruptive colour of “DARK GREEN - No. PFI”, so maybe that’s what gave some people the thought that the whole underside was left in OD?
If you care to read my update carefully, you will have noticed that I clearly stated that (a) I had read somewhere that the underside was left in Olive Drab, but at this time could not confirm it, so went with the Desert Pink AS PER Mike Starmers book, and confirmed also with speaking to him. (b) You will also note that in my update I stated that I had just sprayed on the top coat. Now to most of us, that means that there could be more to follow - which there is.... And (c) I distinctly remember stating that I had studied numerous photo's and had used those as the basis of my decision.

• Wow

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mike, as always you've taken this to another level which I could never reach. I try mostly to camouflage with paint and stowage for my dios. What you've done is make another Sherman look interesting to build. :thumb2:

Also painting in those days were done by hand and not robots so what if the painter decided to be inconsistent for a few of the five or more he had to do for the day. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Doesn't it look different under a coat of paint. When there is a lot of scratch building and improvements the model ends up like a patchwork quilt and then the paint ties it all together. Looks great.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you care to read my update carefully, you will have noticed [snip]
Sorry I offended you, but as far as I saw you didn’t mention any reference in the post I quoted, so I thought I’d offer some support for your choice of colours … You react as if I said you got it wrong, though.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike, as always you've taken this to another level which I could never reach. I try mostly to camouflage with paint and stowage for my dios. What you've done is make another Sherman look interesting to build. :thumb2:

Also painting in those days were done by hand and not robots so what if the painter decided to be inconsistent for a few of the five or more he had to do for the day. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
Many thanks. As for the painting I have not put the camo on yet, and the fun will start....
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
Doesn't it look different under a coat of paint. When there is a lot of scratch building and improvements the model ends up like a patchwork quilt and then the paint ties it all together. Looks great.
Jim
Jim,
I know what you mean, I kept looking at it and thinking it will never do, but as you say it does.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Sorry I offended you, but as far as I saw you didn’t mention any reference in the post I quoted, so I thought I’d offer some support for your choice of colours … You react as if I said you got it wrong, though.
No offence taken, I probably have the same reference material you have, so do not worry, the real reference of the time is not available in abundance and we have to go with what we see and can collect.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
One track assembled..... Sherman was varnished this morning and this afternoon after finishing assembling one length of track I decided to start with the camoflague colour. And rightly as Jakko states the go to book for this is Mike Starmer - but again here are conflicts of what colour was used, and as both he and Vasco Barbic state it depended on what was available at the time, Green, Black, Brown...... So I decided to go with what would be available in gallons and chose black. The colour i actually chose was Vallejo 306 Dark Rubber, as I am not a fan of stark black or white. And this was brushed on after adding a couple of drops of water with some washing up liquid in it so that I could try to simulate a scale 2inch brush....
20210704_172306.jpg
20210704_172319.jpg
I first pencilled in the shapes or as near the shape required, and again it depended on who was looking at the war office drawing at the time and was in charge of the chalk... And then hand brushed the colour on... So work in progress...
Cheers,
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the real reference of the time is not available in abundance and we have to go with what we see and can collect.
Which is where we’re lucky that someone delved deeply enough into it to release a series of books on the subject, filled with his conclusions from original research :smiling3: The black patches look good — even if they do put me in mind of cows :smiling3: