Sherman II mid October 1942

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looking good with paint Mike, the desert camo does look a bit like a cow, not as much as the black & white arctic camo, that's a bit Friesian!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well not much to add really when its as good as it is and has been said.

1625428434096.pngYour move

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been plodding along doing a bit here and there.... The painting as far as the camo and suspension units are concerned is complete. The last of the markings are now on and a start on the weathering has been made.
20210707_152550.jpg
20210707_152609.jpg
20210707_152620.jpg
Once the decals are dry, I will then start to scrub away at the paint to try to obtain the well worn effect caused by the climate, also around the suspension and the lower part of the hull I will try to show the Olive Drab coming through.
More later,
Mike.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice oh wise one.

Skip skip , hop.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I-C-U-2-R at it again with the shoe thing......must confer with Matron to see if she is missing a pair of her "Witches Booties".....if she finds out you've nicked them, she'll be on you like "ugly on an Ape";). Mike, love the paint job on this and am pleased that you will be "distressing" it to take some of the harsh contrast out of it.....should make a huge difference when completed. Rick H. :thumb2:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I-C-U-2-R at it again with the shoe thing......must confer with Matron to see if she is missing a pair of her "Witches Booties".....if she finds out you've nicked them, she'll be on you like "ugly on an Ape";). Mike, love the paint job on this and am pleased that you will be "distressing" it to take some of the harsh contrast out of it.....should make a huge difference when completed. Rick H. :thumb2:
To
I-C-U-2-R
Check with Dianne Abbott she has problems with shoes. :tears-of-joy:
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
Great looking base for the weathering.
Jim
Cheers Jim, should be starting the weathering in a couple of days, just about to construct a base for it.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So took the bull by the horns and started to scrub away the 'gloss'. I was going to add a coat of matt varnish but after a little test on the underside found that the scrubbing would not affect the original. So went up the shed and cut and glued the base together while deciding.
20210708_143743.jpg
And this isthe end result. The natural light bleaches out the colour a lot, so took a few shots under the daylight light.
20210708_143514.jpg
20210708_143349.jpg
20210708_143412.jpg
I have an old #3 brush that has been cut down to a length of about 5mm and as it has been used from white glue to paint has achieved a well scrubbed brush head. This was dipped into MIG AK041 North Africa Dust and then scrubbed across the surface using a random firm scrubbing motion pushing the pigments well into the paint finish.
On the lower hull under the track guards where the dust and sand would be like a sand blasting cupboard and on the suspension I first used a faded Olive Drab to tint the sand finish, and then went over this with the NA Dust to tone down the OD.
One word of warning, do not touch with skin as this brings off the pigments, and be carefull with liquid cement as this reacts with the White Ensign paint just like paint stripper. I found this out when attaching the suspension units. I wet the paint where the glue was to go and this saved a lot of scraping and handling of the model.
Now it is time to start adding the other parts and stowage, ready for the base and tracks.
Cheers,
Mike.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's done it.....toned it right down Sir. Look forward to the base and tracks. Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ian,
Another excellent build mate that we have come to expect from you.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Vert convincing Hop .