Sherman II mid October 1942

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Started to add the stowage and tools to the build...
20210715_143149.jpg
20210715_143230.jpg
The base is well under way, photo later. And have started to turn this.....
20210715_142410.jpg
..... into this....
20210715_142522.jpg
.... as part of the side stowage on the right side - just another three of these plus some of the large packs and tin pots to add....
20210715_142603.jpg
... in primer...
No tracks on as yet as I do not want to risk breaking them off.
More later,
Mike.
hop hip....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Mike.

Well done so far.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nothing wrong with this Sir.....keep it coming! :thumb2: Rick H.

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
Lovely work mate, what did you use for the large packs they look excellent.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really good. So dusty it’s making me itch!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
What are the front straps on the bag made from please Mike? I presume the buckles are PE from the spares draw??

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Reply to both Scottie and Steve Jones and anyone else listening....
I mark out the width and other dimensions from a kit offering, but add a mm more all round on a bit of printer paper. Once folded the inside is bulked out with some toilet roll (unused) and the flap is c/a'ed down im the middle, this allows for the folding of the edges. Once the c/a has dried I then crush the pack to the shape I am happy with and then add the straps again from printer paper. The buckles and clips all come from an Aber set in the spares box 35 A21. I have yet to add the shoulder straps as these will be added once the packs are in place.
Cheers
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Well I would never have guessed that the pack was made of paper.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Small packs are now complete and on the model as are the water 'flimsies'....
So some pics.....
20210725_155826.jpg
Water flimsies, they were called flimsies because of the thickness of the metal...
20210725_155904.jpg
And finally the packs...
20210725_155839.jpg
20210725_155812(1).jpg
More later...
Cheers Mike.
Hop hip.....

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
Sad day down a t'mill.... Oss saddler done run off wit' button maid.....
So there I was all full of myself - the tracks finally assembled and pinned onto my track painting board. I found an old tin of Humbrol Natural Steel for the end connectors and spryed it onto the pre primed tracks. Next came the Dark Rubber, which was brushed on..... and of course knocked off a couple of end connectors - and that should have been the warning sign. It appears the car primer has weakened the small amount of cement used on the end connectors - but no problem re-glue and carry on :rolling:
I decided to add the tracks first, get them settled and then do the weathering hip hop..... So off we went gently running the first end past the idler wheel and then all the end connectors started falling off :flushed:, they were everywhere, on the bench, on the floor, you just had to laugh:tears-of-joy:....
There was no way to recover, so it was a quick trip to the bin, and luckily I have another box of the same (Is he mad or what? the man's insane!!!!) So I am going to try a different approach, get SWMBO to assemble them and then I can blame her (Ouch!!!!)
Seriously, I have had a think and will try a different route, add the end bolt heads as per my earlier comment, but then cement the track pin to the end connector first to make sure there is glue where glue should be. Pictures to follow, in case anyone else is now sitting with a pile of scrap tracks and cursing my name.... Oh well Hippity hop.
On another subject, talking to an old friend from my BAe days at Hatfield in their model/detail department, who is also a mad modeller like us all. We came to the subject of tanks and what are you doing now? He informed me that where he now works they are developing a succesor to the Challenger/Megatron, but still based on the Challenger. It will be called Emperor, and will have a coating similar to the 'Barracuda' camouflage covering but with an electrical circuit running through it (called ENC1). When the circuit is activated it creats a blurred effect, not invisible, but reflects its surroundings ie trees, bushes. So it must be something like a mirror effect. He would not go into too many details for obvious reasons, but the joke/challenge was - now how do you replicate that in model form...
So there we go, now more of the tracks later as I said, a little set back, but if i was honest, I did see problems but not a complete disaster - more later.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
Further to my earlier update....
Have had a play around with the spare bits of track and have come up with this solution....
20210803_102353.jpg
Here are the raw parts as supplied in the box (Modelkasten).
20210803_104720.jpg
Above.
Here on the right you can see that I have now cemented the pin into the end connector. You cannot add an end connector to the other end of the pin as the track pad will not go under both end connectors without breaking at least one off (I tried).
On the left you can see three assembled links joined by this method, but I did try to alternate the pins in both left and right holes.
20210803_104811.jpg
But decided to go with this method, the pin/end connector remain loose inside the track pad, but the pin on its own is cemented in place and this is the one that will have the end connector cemented to it allowing the pin on the left to be loose.
So onward and upwards......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It appears the car primer has weakened the small amount of cement used on the end connectors
That is a real shame but I suppose something learned for next time. Was it different primer? Glad you're sorting it. Those packs do look excellent.
Jim