Sherman III - Heller 1/72 M4A2 conversion

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Morning all. I haven't done any modelling for months but I've finally got around to starting my Sherman! I painted the crew last night (AB 20mm) and made a start on the hull.

_20200314_090540.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks Tim. I'll be cracking on after scoff. Going to be my first attempt at etched brass as well. God it's small!

_20200314_191200.JPG

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice work so far Alex, the figures look good :thumb2:
Steven

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry Alex. Could have sworn I posted a comment all ready. Figures are the DB's. Looking forward to this project immensley. Good luck

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Nice one Alex, will be back for more.
Mike.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks for all the comments gents and apologies for the late reply. Progress may be slightly slower than anticipated on this one as the excrement appears to be hitting the air conditioning. We've just been stood up to high readiness so I'll update as and when I can. Hopefully get some more done over the weekend. In the meantime stay safe and don't hoard anything apart from more kits! :-D

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Awesome figures Alex, looking forward to seeing progress on the Sherman III.
I take from your last comment that you’re in the forces. Yep, these are crazy times. Let’s hope this will all be over as quickly as possible and the world can resume some normality. You too stay safe and I hope your duties allow some modelling time in the very near future.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks Paul. Crazy times indeed! Half the army is on standby but we're still not sure when we'll be needed or what we'll be doing. Hey ho.

Getting a bit done tonight but have reached a bit of an impasse. I want to have the driver and hull gunner showing but I've got to find some way of fixing them in place with their heads out of the hatches before I glue on the glacis otherwise they won't fit. Bugger. Also, does anyone know what the antenna arrangement was on a Sherman III? The photoetch set has a No19 antenna base, but does it go on the left or right rear of the turret? Online photos seem remarkably scarce.

Cheers,

Windy

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Alex,

just had a look in Hunnicutts Sherman and it states:

"British tanks were equipped with the number 19 radio set mounted in the turret bustle. This was actually two radios in one with each requiring its own antenna or aerial. The 'A' aerial was installed in the standard antenna socket at the left rear of the turret bustle. The 'B' aerial was fitted in a small socket just to the right of centre in the turret bustle roof"

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well done Mr. T, I was just about to Quote Armoured Thunderbolt, and you beat me to it. Rick H.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Brilliant! Thanks Simon. The antenna guard is for the B Set isn't it? I'm going to have fun putting that together, it's absolutely bloody miniscule!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The aerial base with the circular guard around it goes on the right rear of the turret, on the little horizontal bit on the turret roof. The cone-shaped aerial base goes inside the circular opening on the left rear of the turret:

British_M4_Sherman_tank_Middle_East.jpg

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
The aerial base with the circular guard around it goes on the right rear of the turret, on the little horizontal bit on the turret roof. The cone-shaped aerial base goes inside the circular opening on the left rear of the turret:

View attachment 377269

Thanks Jakko. That's confirmed what I thought.