Sherman V “Cock o’the North”, 1 November 1944

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
3. October 1944. .... aniversity soon ....
The anniversary of the landings on 1 November is normally celebrated. 3 October 1944 was the day the RAF bombed the first dyke, to flood the interior of the island (which is mostly below sea level), and more bombings followed later in the month. Here’s the situation on 20 October 1944, after the second bombardment of Westkapelle three days earlier:

Westkapelle 20 oktober 1944.jpg

(North is to the lower right.) The tank from this thread came ashore immediately to the right of the gap in the dyke that you can see in the picture.

Very partial to British Shermans.I love all your builds as you put so much into them with a passion.
Excellent Sherman.
Nice model, well done Jakko :thumb2:
Thanks, guys :smiling3: Now I need to finish my Crab with the 3D-printed flails someone made me, and then the Weasel, and …

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Yellow letters on ammo boxes, painted or? I am intending to make standard ammo boxes 3d printed - and need technology to make this type of letters. I know, ther are decals ... but ...maybe....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I hand-painted them, because I didn’t have any suitable decals. They’re not really letters but just yellow lines and blobs that look like letters if you don’t get too close :smiling3:

This is what it should say on them:

Sherman “Cock o’the North” munitiebevoorrading op Domburg.png

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is a most splendid Sherman Jakko. Great job.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, guys :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey, How'd I miss this little masterpiece!!
Superb result there Jakko, love all the little details,and the overall dusty look is very realistic, getting in just all the right places :smiling3:.
Cracking stuff mate !
Andy

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great model Jakko

I don't know if you get Netflix but this has just been released about The Scheldt. Don't know if its any good but I thought it might be of interest.

scheldt.jpg

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Guys

I have now watched the above film and I have to say I was surprised that it is remarkably good for a small budget effort. Can't judge the accuracy but all in all a very good film.

John

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cracking stuff mate !
Thanks :smiling3: This was also a good deal of work, but partly just because I build so slowly …

I don't know if you get Netflix but this has just been released about The Scheldt. Don't know if its any good but I thought it might be of interest.
Thanks, I knew about it already, as it was going to go into theatres here late last year — but something interfered with that. I wonder what that was again … ;) I haven’t seen it, and TBH I don’t really feel like watching it. The impression I have is that it’s a story about some people set against the backdrop of the Battle for the Scheldt, rather than being about that — so more like Saving Private Ryan than A Bridge Too Far.

As for limited budget: by Hollywood standards, sure. It is the most expensive film ever made in the Netherlands, though, I think I heard.